PDA

View Full Version : HELP! FL50R no longer flashes

lee harris
23rd October 2012, 09:57 PM
This flash decided to go on the blink during a job in Trinidad, I had another one but it messed up my ideal lighting scenario...

... Anyway everything functions (zoom, back lighting etc) except it will not flash, I can guess the tube maybe broken, or a loose connection, any ideas what this might cost? I will try a local camera shop in barcelona tomorrow and also call Olympus in Madrid. The problem I have is that I have 5 flash guns but only 2 FL50rs which also have cables for 2 quantum packs so they are vital for all day shoots, i cannot get cables to work the other flashes with the packs so need the 2 FL50's

Chevvyf1
24th October 2012, 07:48 AM
This flash decided to go on the blink during a job in Trinidad, I had another one but it messed up my ideal lighting scenario...

... Anyway everything functions (zoom, back lighting etc) except it will not flash, I can guess the tube maybe broken, or a loose connection, any ideas what this might cost? I will try a local camera shop in barcelona tomorrow and also call Olympus in Madrid. The problem I have is that I have 5 flash guns but only 2 FL50rs which also have cables for 2 quantum packs so they are vital for all day shoots, i cannot get cables to work the other flashes with the packs so need the 2 FL50's

Probably cheaper to buy another, pre loved :cool:

gazza95
24th October 2012, 08:59 AM
Not sure what repair price is in spain but Olympus in UK have a fixed price of 130 to repair FL50's.

When I bust and Fl50 hot shoe, 8 part, I had Luton cameras fix it for around 50. So worth checking out local camera repair shop.

gary

lee harris
24th October 2012, 09:09 AM
Thanks for that, i will check places today, i have seen the bulbs on sale for 15-30 a pop (so to speak) on ebay, apparently trying to DIY is hazardous but might be worth investigating.

gazza95
24th October 2012, 09:28 AM
Lee

Unless you know how to discharge the capacitor safely I suggest you leave it to a repair shop. Trouble is capacitor remains charged even if flash gun switched off......

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/strbfaq.htm#strbsww

Gary

lee harris
24th October 2012, 09:45 AM
yes i have heard about that, i just phones Olympus in Spain a repairer/service with 6 months warranty is about 185€ they also recommended this place: http://www.lutoncameras.co.uk which is funny considering it was Olympus Spain with whom I spoke!

Bikie John
24th October 2012, 10:46 AM
Luton Cameras are official Olympus repair agents here in the UK and several of us over here have had good service from them.

Good luck ... John

jamsa
24th October 2012, 07:13 PM
Not sure what repair price is in spain but Olympus in UK have a fixed price of 130 to repair FL50's.

When I bust and Fl50 hot shoe, 8 part, I had Luton cameras fix it for around 50. So worth checking out local camera repair shop.

gary

I too used luton cameras...good repair and cheaper than Olympus!!!

Jim Ford
24th October 2012, 09:34 PM
Take care - a powerful flash can store enough energy to kill!

Jim

Chevvyf1
25th October 2012, 08:02 AM
Take care - a powerful flash can store enough energy to kill!

Jim

Jim, YES camera kit energy cells are the foundation of stun guns :eek: