PDA

View Full Version : David Busch Camera Guide

CJJE
23rd October 2012, 04:25 PM
Amazon UK are now listing David Busch's new guide to the Olympus OM-D E-M5 at around £20. No details of its contents yet, but they are saying it will be published on the 29th December 2012.

Lets hope it goes some way to sorting out menu options and settings, and is not too basic!

ayewing
23rd October 2012, 07:35 PM
Good to see that there is a guide to the OM-D E-M5. what is needed is a simple introductory chapter on getting started and then plenty of detail on setting up the camera for its multiplicity of choices.

Longstanding Olympus users apparently find the menu system easy but those of us new to Olympus find it takes a while to get out heads around the menu system. I certainly found that I had to make a lot of use of online resources such as this forum in getting to grips with the camera. The printed leaflet that comes with the camera is too brief to be of much use and the manual on disk contains a lot in information but is not exactly user friendly. It is more use as a resource for reference once you are using the camera.

At £20 the new guide should be fairly comprehensive but I suppose part of the relatively high cost is due to a small print run compared with guides for the big boys like Canon and Nikon.

Alpha1
27th October 2012, 02:48 PM
Well I have had a quick look on Amazon UK and all I can find is the same author's book on the Oly E-5 or digital photography books generally.

Do you have a link where I can pre-order?

ayewing
27th October 2012, 04:43 PM
It took a bit of finding - David Busch seems to be a most prolific author.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/David-Buschs-Olympus-Omd-Em5/dp/1285429966/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1351355915&sr=1-1

CJJE
27th October 2012, 04:58 PM
I found it at http://www.amazon.co.uk/David-Buschs-Olympus-Omd-Em5/dp/1285429966/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=IV4VWWZ64FS3&coliid=I36UDLXPGCPP3L

and you can see details of his Olympus Pen book to see the likely contents.

jdal
14th December 2012, 01:31 PM
Amazon UK are now shipping this. Hooray :D

Seonnaidh
14th December 2012, 02:16 PM
Sainsbury's are selling it for £13.99 delivered.

jdal
14th December 2012, 02:25 PM
Sainsbury's are selling it for £13.99 delivered.Curses. I retract the :D

drmarkf
14th December 2012, 02:48 PM
It seems to have gone up to £15.99 - slow down, guys, or Sainsbury's are going to put it up further :eek:

Greytop
14th December 2012, 02:56 PM
Does anyone have a link?
My search just took me to a bunch of Amazon resellers.

rutwij
14th December 2012, 03:02 PM
Is that the E5 guide? Is it any good?

rutwij
14th December 2012, 03:03 PM
Is that the E5 guide? Is it any good?
Ah just looked at the sub folder... it's not for the E5 then.
How are his guides? Will his guide for the E5 be any good?

gphemy
14th December 2012, 03:08 PM
His E-5 guide is better than most of that sort of book. Granted there are a few mentions that reveal the core of it was probably written for a different camera, but overall, not bad at all. It's the only such book I have ever bought, which tells you how unhelpful I found others.

Piers

drmarkf
14th December 2012, 03:17 PM
Ah, OK, the £15.99 is for the E5 guide, the £13.99 E-M5 is here:

http://www.sainsburysentertainment.co.uk/en/Books/Paperback/David-Busch/David-Busch-s-Olympus-Om-D-E-M5-Guide-to-Digital-Photography/product.html?product=E11165062

mike_j
14th December 2012, 03:25 PM
Slightly disconcerting that the blurb (on the Sainsbury link) starts off by describing it as 12Mp not 16.

Hope that isn't typical of the book - a quick edit of an existing work perhaps?

drmarkf
14th December 2012, 05:58 PM
Slightly disconcerting that the blurb (on the Sainsbury link) starts off by describing it as 12Mp not 16.

Hope that isn't typical of the book - a quick edit of an existing work perhaps?

The preview on the Amazon site gets it correct on page xiv, at least :D

CJJE
14th December 2012, 06:32 PM
As Mark says, you can look inside the book on Amazon and see the contents list as well as their intro which correctly describes the E-M5 as a 16MB camera. But at present their prices are higher than expected (~£20) and much higher than Sainsbury's! I suspect they are selling grey imports from the USA at present rather than the official UK publications!

Chris

Pierre L
14th December 2012, 07:37 PM
I ordered a copy from amazon.co.uk on 8th November at a cost of £14.43. The above remark about "grey import" is interesting because the current Amazon listing only shows the book as being available from third party sellers for £26.

My copy (from amazon) is due to arrive on 15th December (original planned delivery date was early January). It is almost as if Amazon had planned to import a batch of pre-ordered books and those have been sold.

The Sainsbury's offer looks good!

jamsa
15th December 2012, 08:46 AM
Sainsburys, Also says unavailable! Iol:-)

Alpha1
15th December 2012, 08:52 AM
I have a sneaking feeling that Father Christmas might be delivering my copy on Christmas day. *chr

jdal
18th December 2012, 03:08 PM
Well my Amazon copy arrived, got opened and the first block of pages pulled straight out of the binding. I had a good look through anyhow and have now sent it back to Amazon. :(

Looking on the bright side I may be able to pick up a cheaper copy elsewhere. I'll hang on until after Xmas, although I'm not 100% sure it's worth it for me.

ayewing
18th December 2012, 03:54 PM
That is disappointing. I hope it is a one off and not typical of the standard of binding.

I ordered my copy from Sainsburys on 14th December and have received an email informing me that it will be dispatched on 20th December.

ayewing
21st December 2012, 09:10 PM
I ordered my copy from Sainsburys two weeks ago. Today I received an email from them stating that a shipment of this item was delayed and they were doing everything possible but could give no date of delivery.

stryker
22nd December 2012, 08:20 AM
My copy arrived yesterday. I opened it and about 6 pages fell out!

StephenL
22nd December 2012, 08:52 AM
Well, I guess that's one book I won't be buying - unless the ebook comes out at a decent price.

wellyboot
23rd December 2012, 07:22 PM
The pages are falling out of my copy too. Very disappointing:(

CJJE
23rd December 2012, 09:19 PM
Oh dear oh dear.... It sounds like there will be a lot of disappointing Christmas presents on the 25th! I have other books by the same publisher which were OK, so I wonder if it's just a faulty batch? (Quality Control seems to be a forgotten art nowadays, I wonder if it's down to the way everything is produced in China now rather than Japan, the UK or the USA??)

Has anyone got a properly bound example I wonder??

tomphotofx
23rd December 2012, 11:07 PM
I pre-ordered mine from Amazon final price £14.43 it turned up a couple of days ago and so far all the pages are intact, seems good value to me.

Tom*chr

David M
23rd December 2012, 11:59 PM
Sounds like the guide's as well put together as the camera.

Greytop
24th December 2012, 01:05 AM
Sounds like the guide's as well put together as the camera.

:D:D My E-5 guide was bound to a much higher quality....

Alpha1
24th December 2012, 09:11 AM
I pre-ordered mine from Amazon final price £14.43 it turned up a couple of days ago and so far all the pages are intact, seems good value to me.

Tom*chr

I hope that Father Christmas is taking good care of mine!!;)

Pierre L
25th December 2012, 09:39 AM
My copy, also pre-ordered from Amazon some time ago, arrived a few days ago. Comparing it with the E-P2 book by the same author, the page count is lower and the binding semms less strong. All pages are still attached though.

As I was comparing the two books to see why the page count was lower, the table of contents became separated :-(. However, I still think it's a lovely book and I am not returning it. Both books have lay-flat binding; the new book's binding is nowhere near as good as the original Repkover (TM) bindings used on O'Reilly computer books (which seem to last forever) http://oreilly.com/pub/a/oreilly/ask_tim/2004/repkover_0304.html

Pierre L
25th December 2012, 09:44 AM
I forgot to say. I do love the book -- as with the author's other books I've seen (E-5 and E-P2) the explanations and pictures are much more useful than the supplied owner's handbook (esp. to a new user -- the OM-D EM-5 was my first proper digital camera)

Alpha1
27th December 2012, 12:50 PM
I hope that Father Christmas is taking good care of mine!!;)

So far it appears that he did, but I have only opened it and read the first chapter so quite a lot of reading left yet!! ;)

It is a very comprehensive tome for a paperback.

Alpha1
27th December 2012, 05:28 PM
Well so far the first 16 pages have fallen out by just reading them and turning each page! I will read a bit more and then it will be going back to Father Christmas as I think she, whoops h'mmm, he sourced it via Amazon! :mad:

Pierre L
27th December 2012, 05:55 PM
Interesting development (I think): from the Amazon.com listing for this book the following appears:
"From the Author

Update: A small number of copies with defective binding did slip through, but they have all been recalled. Those in the warehouse have been checked and are fine. Anyone who received a misbound copy can receive a prompt no-cost replacement. Although many thousands of correctly-bound copies have been sold, these few bad eggs are causing inconvenience for some users of this great camera. If you received a copy that shipped before the recall, ask for your free replacement copy. On Page XVI of the book you'll find a link where you can contact me to request a replacement copy directly from the publisher.

Kindle version now available! The ebook edition is guaranteed not to have any pages fall out."

So I guess the rogue copies have ended up in England! I will (reluctantly) be returning mine after all. I suspect that the "recall" is the reason why amazon.co.uk don't have any copies for sale themselves (they do stock a whole bunch of other books by the same author).

I will keep an eye and order again when amazon UK show stock themselves.

Edited to add: apologies for pasting the reference to Kindle. I don't believe the book is available for the Kindle version at the moment (even in the USA).

Jetset95
27th December 2012, 06:06 PM
Where did you see the Kindle version was available? It's not on the UK Amazon store...

Pierre L
27th December 2012, 06:11 PM
Sorry. I should have edited that remark out. On the author's blog, he mentions Kindle versions and suggests that they are USA-only. Publishers have to separately negotiate for Kindle versions to be available in each region.

Pierre L
27th December 2012, 06:16 PM
From http://dslrguides.com/blog/ the entry for 23rd December:
"A spot check shows that Amazon has restored Kindle versions of many of my books, after a hiatus of some months. The negotiations between the publisher and Amazon are a function above my pay grade, but I’m glad some kind of agreement was reached. Now, if Amazon can be convinced to offer my books in their locations outside the USA, everyone will be happy."
But I don't see the em-5 book for the kindle on amazon.com (and I couldn't buy it even if I could see it).

David D. Busch
27th December 2012, 06:40 PM
Extremely sorry that so many bad copies were shipped to the UK. The overall number of copies with bad bindings is small, but that's no comfort to those who have had their pages fall out. The bad copies have all been recalled, but if you receive one, your retailer should quickly have it replaced for you.

On page xvi of the book there is a link you can use to tell me what I can do to make this book even better. Aside from using a bullwhip on the staff of the bindery.

David

StephenL
27th December 2012, 08:29 PM
Extremely sorry that so many bad copies were shipped to the UK. The overall number of copies with bad bindings is small, but that's no comfort to those who have had their pages fall out. The bad copies have all been recalled, but if you receive one, your retailer should quickly have it replaced for you.

On page xvi of the book there is a link you can use to tell me what I can do to make this book even better. Aside from using a bullwhip on the staff of the bindery.

David

Thanks for this insight, and welcome to the forum! I hope you'll stay around and perhaps pass on some unpulished tips. :D

David M
27th December 2012, 08:46 PM
Unpolished tips?

StephenL
27th December 2012, 08:49 PM
Unpolished tips?

Something like that :o

I hate the iPad keybored!

Alpha1
9th February 2013, 02:59 PM
Well in late December I notified Davis Busch by email that my copy was just not useable, (I hate to use the expression "U.S." in this instance;)).

I received a charming note from David in reply advising me that I would be hearing from his publisher and they would be sending me a new copy direct from the States.

To date, nothing has arrived even though I offered to pay for a new copy. I have been away for a month but nothing received at the house or with neighbours in that time, so I emailed again this week, but this time I did not get a reply by return!

The original was sent back to Amazon for refund which was made in true Amazon style, so I am not out of pocket, so I will now re-order a new copy via Amazon. I really wanted (needed!) the book to take away with me, so a bad job all round. :mad:

David D. Busch
9th February 2013, 04:16 PM
Terribly sorry that my publisher has not been responsive to your original inquiry and follow-up. They assured me that this would be taken care of and would be faster than getting a replacement from Amazon. I have followed up with them myself three times, but my contact, the fellow who assures me that something is being done, is not the same fellow who actually mails the book.

I had 50 personal copies of the book, which I long since have given away, or I would have sent you one of mine. At this juncture, I can't get additional copies any more quickly than you can, so I am at the mercy of the publisher's staff, too.

On a brighter note, there have not been any reports of defective binding in about a month, so they seem to been all weeded out. I do apologize.

David

Alpha1
9th February 2013, 10:34 PM
Apologies accepted of course David.

I have now ordered a new copy from Amazon UK. As I say I have lost nothing other than time learning from the book as Amazon refunded my wife for the one was that returned defective. Mine will arrive on Monday, UK time.

shirley
10th February 2013, 08:42 AM
Does anybody know if this is going to be released for Kindle in UK?

Invicta
10th February 2013, 06:34 PM
Hi

Could anybody who has a copy of this book comment on the level at which it is aimed please?

E.g. is it aimed at a beginner with no knowledge of a digital camera and/or does it go deeper e.g. how to setup tethered connections and use remote flash units e.g. the FL50R?

Many thanks

David D. Busch
10th February 2013, 06:51 PM
Tethered connections and in-depth coverage of remote flash are not covered in this book. It's more of a concise introduction to the key features of the camera.

shirley
10th February 2013, 07:14 PM
Hi David,
I see that your book is available for Kindle in USA is it going to be released for Kindle in UK? It is a lot easier to take away on holiday that way.
Thank you
Shirley

Jetset95
10th February 2013, 07:33 PM
You can get it for iBooks on the iPhone/iPad

shirley
10th February 2013, 07:37 PM
Thank you jetset. I do have a tablet but it's android.

David D. Busch
10th February 2013, 09:17 PM
I'm told it's up to Amazon.uk to decide whether they want to carry my books in Kindle format. It's already been provided to them, and my publisher is in favor of it.

David

shirley
10th February 2013, 09:22 PM
Thank you David. I have clicked the button to request a Kindle version, so hopefully Amazon will oblige soon.

Alpha1
11th February 2013, 02:51 PM
Hi

Could anybody who has a copy of this book comment on the level at which it is aimed please?

E.g. is it aimed at a beginner with no knowledge of a digital camera and/or does it go deeper e.g. how to setup tethered connections and use remote flash units e.g. the FL50R?

Many thanks

David's reply may have provided a far too limited detail of what the book offers.

It is true that detailed setting up for a pro studio set-up is not covered.

I have used a number of Dslr's and MF digital camera's mostly for field work but I have still learned much from the book about what this camera can do even after 6 month's of using it.

David does indicate very early on in his book that users of previous Olympus digital cameras will already be familiar with the menu system which follows a similar style, but with some very definite OM-D features that make it so much easier to use on this diminutive little power house of a camera.

The book is well worth the cover price for me, even after many years of using other DSLR cameras.

Recommended. :D

David D. Busch
11th February 2013, 03:03 PM
I'm glad that many are finding the book useful. Some background: my two previous Olympus books sold only a few copies and the publisher was adamant that we would not do another. I felt that this camera would be a breakthrough for Olympus and begged to be allowed to do the book. The compromise we arrived at was to limit coverage of some of the things I wanted to talk about, to reduce the expense/risk if the book did not sell well. That limited its potential among more advanced users, but did allow others access to what is the first and likely only book on this camera. Happily, sales have been sufficient that perhaps a follow-up book on the next model will be expanded.

Meanwhile, I am collecting advice from readers about what they would have liked to see in the book, as well as corrections.

David

Pierre L
11th February 2013, 03:31 PM
Hello David. I am sorry about the limited numbers. When I got my OM-D E-M5 I went looking for books and bought both your E-5 book (for general interest because an E-5 is too expensive for me) and the E-P2 book (because that was closer to the E-M5).
I had noticed (but wasn't going to say anything) that the E-M5 book was smaller -- now I understand why.
I am still very pleased with the E-M5 book and hope you sell a good number of copies (since Olympus seems to be doing well with that camera). You do explain things well and it much easier to understand how to use the camera with your book than with the manual from Olympus.
Thanks again and best wishes.

Pierre L
11th February 2013, 03:33 PM
Thank you David. I have clicked the button to request a Kindle version, so hopefully Amazon will oblige soon.

I have also clicked the button to ask Amazon UK for a Kindle version

Pierre L
11th February 2013, 03:36 PM
Hi

Many thanks

Incidentally, I believe another thread has indicated that tethered connections are considered (by Olympus) to be a "pro" feature and are not available for the E-M5 (maybe not even for the E-5?).

Invicta
11th February 2013, 06:17 PM
I'm glad that many are finding the book useful. Some background: my two previous Olympus books sold only a few copies and the publisher was adamant that we would not do another. I felt that this camera would be a breakthrough for Olympus and begged to be allowed to do the book. The compromise we arrived at was to limit coverage of some of the things I wanted to talk about, to reduce the expense/risk if the book did not sell well. That limited its potential among more advanced users, but did allow others access to what is the first and likely only book on this camera. Happily, sales have been sufficient that perhaps a follow-up book on the next model will be expanded.

Meanwhile, I am collecting advice from readers about what they would have liked to see in the book, as well as corrections.

David

Hi David

Nice to hear that your OMD book is a success. I can understand how publishers have a difficult balancing act on how many pages a book can be.

I believe there is a market for books that go beyond the manual supplied with the camera. Have you considered the self-published eBook route?

I bought such an eBook for my “other camera” and at over 850 pages I would not expect any publisher would be interested in printing hard copies.

The extra space means that:

More detail on why and when you would want to select a specific setting
Full review of all accessories and how to use them
Shooting video

David D. Busch
11th February 2013, 06:33 PM
Ebooks are obviously the wave of the future, although at present the sales of ebook versions of my own books are minuscule compared to the printed editions. Part of the problem is the folks who remove the DRM and distribute the ebook for free. I have received more than 100 questions from ebook readers of one of my books, even though the book in question sold only five dozen electronic copies to date. With any luck, by the time printed books are gone entirely, I will be retired.

I actually have a contract to write ebook "tips" books for specific cameras, but haven't had time to implement any of them. It's all I can do to keep up with the proper books I need to write for cameras that I love. Right now, I'm hoping that Olympus does not introduce an E-6 until I get caught up!

Alpha1
12th February 2013, 10:19 AM
Incidentally, I believe another thread has indicated that tethered connections are considered (by Olympus) to be a "pro" feature and are not available for the E-M5 (maybe not even for the E-5?).

The use of wireless flash strobes has tended to isolate the cabled variety and whilst I have never tried it, possibly using the Olympus 'Penpal' may be an alternative to a tethered computer? Another possible use for an iPad?

Whilst I have used hard wired strobes in studio situations on a number of occasions; the use of wireless triggers does free the photographer for more creative use in my opinion. I have only used a camera tethered to a computer once, that was in a fully equipped London studio using a Leica S2 medium format camera with wireless triggered strobes.

However, as an outdoor hand held photographer, I found that damned tethering cable a menace! The S2 is a horrendously expensive, superb piece of camera engineering, ideal for handholding which frees up studio work, then you are anchored by the computer cable......aaagh! :rolleyes:

It was good to immediately see the captured image on a 32" hooded screen though! ;)

brian1208
12th February 2013, 11:32 AM
David, do you know if it is possible to shoot the EM5 tethered, controlling the camera from a laptop / android tablet?

I am already using it it tethered to check the shot after its taken but have found no way of using live view control from camera to screen via either cable or wireless tether

Alpha1
12th February 2013, 12:22 PM
No, I didn't know that Brian. Well that adds another possibility to using this incredible little camera. In that case one could presumably use the camera to computer cable and leave the hotshoe for wireless flash control to use it in a studio environment?

brian1208
12th February 2013, 01:56 PM
Dave, I found that using the video output cable (not the HDMI) to the USB port on my ASUS transformer gives me the cable download of the image - after its taken but I'm now using the EY-FI pro 16gb card in the studio, shooting JPG + RAW (but only downloading the JPG files) to check for errors such as lighting hot-spots, smudged makeup, bra-strap showing etc and also to get a feel for the composition as I shoot. Download is fast and so long as the camera is stopped from going into sleep mode, consistent

I'd love to be able to shoot properly tethered as I could with my canon system though, having total control of the camera via a larger screen is one thing I do miss having gone to the EM-5