PDA

View Full Version : OM-D hidden features for future firmware update?

DJMC
17th October 2012, 10:48 AM
:confused:

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/10/16/hacker-reportedly-finds-hidden-features-in-the-olympus-om-d-em-5/

From: http://www.43rumors.com/olympus-e-m5-hack-clean-hdmi-422-and-focus-peaking-possible/

It's all gobbledeegook to me. *yes

Anyone?

;)

Zuiko
17th October 2012, 03:34 PM
If I understand correctly, digital cameras often have features that for some reason have not been enabled buried deep within their electronics. There are a number of reasons why the manufacturer may chose not to make them available. It's possible that they were not quite perfected in time for the scheduled release or, perhaps more cynically, they were included for field testing but were deliberately held back so that their inclusion in the next model will make it more attractive and encourage upgrading. If you like, it's not putting all your eggs in one basket.

Normally these features remain hidden and undiscovered, but "hackers" often find a way to access and enable them. The extra features rumoured to have been discovered in the E-M5 include enhanced video capability and focus peaking, a manual focus assist facility which is included by Sony (there's a coincidence) in many of their cameras.

It could be that Olympus are still working on these features and intend to enable them in a future firmware update, or it could be they have do intention of making them available until the next model in the OM-D line. If true, the hacker might well make available the knowledge to hack the E-M5 to enable the hidden features.

As I say, I have only a rudimentary understanding of this concept and may have some or all of it wrong - anyone with more specific explanations please correct me. It so happens that I have virtually no interest in Video and little interest in focus peaking, although it might be useful for me if I ever do shoot any macro on my E-M5, so I doubt I'd bother to do anything about it.

sapper
17th October 2012, 04:06 PM
I do remember asking an Oly rep at a exhibition a couple of years ago, if an E3 would do something, cannot remember what, reply was, probably, but we haven't figured out how to yet.

Zuiko
17th October 2012, 04:13 PM
I do remember asking an Oly rep at a exhibition a couple of years ago, if an E3 would do something, cannot remember what, reply was, probably, but we haven't figured out how to yet.

We'll probably find the E-3 has had a 20mp full frame sensor hidden behind the other one all along! :D