PDA

View Full Version : E-M5 and the 50-200 SWD

Ian
16th October 2012, 12:01 PM
When I used the E-M5 and 50-200 SWD combo I found that the focus was not always trustworthy - maybe around 1 in 5 times the focus would clearly be out even in good light. And this was even before pressing the shutter release home. But usually when the AF locked and it looked OK in the finder then I had a keeper.

However, a hire customer of ours who has bought an E-M5 and is new to Olympus found that the 50-200 SWD was less reliable with AF than my experience. He used it for photographing aircraft in flight and found that around two thirds were not sharp and that of the remaining third only half were pin sharp. Oddly enough when he first tested the combination indoors in relatively poor artificial light then the keeper rate was very good.

I must confess I haven't used the 50-200 SWD that much since early days testing lenses on the E-M5 so I expect several of you are much more experienced with the combo than I am. Do you have any feedback or tips that I could learn from?

Ian

David Morison
16th October 2012, 12:12 PM
I had exactly the same experience as your customer, the lens would chatter away for a second or two before locking on and confirming but this resulted in an OoF image in the majority of cases. I know several others have had this same experience so I eventually decided to sell the lens. I understand that the non-SWD lens is more reliable with the E-M5.

David

Seonnaidh
16th October 2012, 12:14 PM
Hi Ian,
Well I don't have any experience of this combo but I do have an OMD E5.
But it is one of the lenses I would like to try on the OMD body.
Do you hire the fourthirds to micro four thirds adapetr as well as the 50-100mm lens?

benvendetta
16th October 2012, 12:20 PM
Hi Ian,
Well I don't have any experience of this combo but I do have an OMD E5.
But it is one of the lenses I would like to try on the OMD body.
Do you hire the fourthirds to micro four thirds adapetr as well as the 50-100mm lens?

Someone of this forum is selling the Viltrox copy of the adapter for 30 I think. I have one and it works fine with my EPL-1. Not weather sealed though.

Graham_of_Rainham
16th October 2012, 01:06 PM
While doing some testing of my own today, it was no surprize that I'm the weak link in the whole process. :o

I had the 50-200 SWD + EC14 on a MFT body and very soon realised that the AF was being affected mainly by movement of the subject and movement of the subject in the field of view, due to my movements.

Placing the camera onto a sturdy tripod (IS-OFF), using Anti-Shock with a 2s delay and using the focus magnification (x7) to confirm the subject, within the AF target was not moving, every shot was good.

Obviously this technique is far from suitable for the vast majority of peoples needs, but it clearly indicated to me that movement was making a real difference.

Using Manual Focus, assisted by x7 magnification, was 100% accurate, but again not often practical.

So what of CAF *??? I've very rarely used it, so will now have to give that a try.

Gwyver
16th October 2012, 04:22 PM
I had exactly the same experience as your customer, the lens would chatter away for a second or two before locking on and confirming but this resulted in an OoF image in the majority of cases. I know several others have had this same experience so I eventually decided to sell the lens. I understand that the non-SWD lens is more reliable with the E-M5.

David

Same for me - so I sold my 50-200 SWD.