PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing wrong?

Seonnaidh
15th October 2012, 09:29 AM
Every time I use my OMD between shots the point of focus seems to shift of its own volition.
How can I set things up so that it only alters when I tell it to do so?

snaarman
15th October 2012, 10:03 AM
Every time I use my OMD between shots the point of focus seems to shift of its own volition.
How can I set things up so that it only alters when I tell it to do so?

Nose on touch screen maybe? I have touch screen disabled, so I am guessing...

jamsa
15th October 2012, 10:14 AM
Or continuous autofocus?

PeterBirder
15th October 2012, 10:54 AM
Hi Seonnaidh.
Mine's done that a couple of times, usually after I've been playing with the Live View "touch to focus" and "touch to focus and shoot" nonsense. I think I eventually sussed out that you need to set at least two things to get it under control. First, using the Super Control Panel set the focus box to the central position. Second, go to the Menu "cogs A AF/MF" .On the second page select "[...] Set Home", select the centre single box option, then set the box to the centre position in the grid. Phew!

Hope this helps.*chr

Ian
15th October 2012, 02:48 PM
Yes - I have this problem so turning the touch screen mode off is a possible solution.

Ian

DJMC
15th October 2012, 04:15 PM
Nose on touch screen maybe? I have touch screen disabled, so I am guessing...

Before my nose touches the screen, the eye sensor switches to EVF so my nose can't adjust the focus point. Touch screen IS on, set to automatically release the shutter - the one with the 'finger over two lines'. Once the shutter releases, the AF area returns to the centre.

If you have the 'Tap to display a focus frame' option, the focus point will remain where something last touched it, not in the centre as with my 'automatic shutter' touch setting .

As Peter says, I have selected 'Spot' in the SCP, but 'Home' is still set to the default whole screen option.

With 'home' set to centre, your problem persists when touch is set to 'Tap to display...'. Pressing 'OK' or 'Menu' does reset the AF area back to home, as does turning the camera off and on again, but pressing the shutter doesn't. Why's that?

:)

Seonnaidh
15th October 2012, 05:40 PM
Ahhh, that PeterBirder is a bit of an OK geezer.
Did as you suggested Peter and for the moment everything seems just fine and dandy.
Thanks to all who made much appreciated suggestions.

DJMC
15th October 2012, 05:56 PM
Did as you suggested Peter and for the moment everything seems just fine and dandy.

Out of interest, which of the two touch screen options are you using?...
1) Touch to take photo, or
2) Touch to display a focus screen

;)

Seonnaidh
15th October 2012, 06:13 PM
Hi David,
Neither as far as I know.

DJMC
15th October 2012, 06:17 PM
Hi David,
Neither as far as I know.

Must be one of them.
There are only three options:
1 & 2 above, or "Touch screen off".
What does the touch screen logo to the left of the screen look like?

:confused:

Seonnaidh
15th October 2012, 06:24 PM
"Touch Screen Off" is the current setting.

PeterBirder
15th October 2012, 07:18 PM

Hehe. I've just had my camera a bit longer than you and stumbled my way through some of the little frustrations this camera throws at you.

Actually I think that this type of "problem" highlights the fact that Olympus have listened to a lot of feedback/wishlists and "why can't it do this's" and fallen over backwards to accommodate everyone's desires in one camera. The downside of course is that with only limited space for buttons, dials and switches many of the controls have to do different things in different operating modes or related functions have to be set in complementary ways in EVF and Liveview modes.

Another good one is getting a small focus box and magnified view in the EVF. I got there eventually (with help from other's experiences) but I'd have to sit and think for a bit to tell you how I did it.:)

Regards.*chr

DJMC
15th October 2012, 07:21 PM
"Touch Screen Off" is the current setting.

Was that the original setting when you had the problem, or have you changed it out of frustration?

Confused now. *yes

Seonnaidh
15th October 2012, 07:37 PM
I set the af position and turned off touch screen.