PDA

View Full Version : Price Justification

Seonnaidh
14th October 2012, 11:16 AM
I have just been surfing the 'tinternet in search of an Olympus 75mm f1.8 lens.
Plenty available from 623 to 799. OK it pays to shop around.
I then searched for the appropriate lens hood, more than a little miffed that Oly don't supply a lens hood as standard with a lens at this price and quality level.
For a genuine Lens hood and that 'must have' accessory the metal lens cap
I could pay 110.
How on earth can Olympus justify this.
Are these items cold rolled by hand on the thighs of Japanese maidens?
Then painted by elederly japanese artists using brushes made from the eyebrows of rare butterflies?
Somebody is definitely ripping sombody else off. Perhaps the cost is justified by Olympus to recoup the losses incurred by 'unfortunate' dealings by their erstwhile hierarchy!
To summarise; Olympus I love your products and get immense pleasure from owning and using them. However I do not beleive that this gives you the right to regard your customer base as too stupid,gormless and nieve to realise when they are being conned. Big time.

StephenL
14th October 2012, 11:34 AM
The price for such accessories is completely unjustifiable when you consider that Panasonic includes hoods as standard, despite their equivalent lenses being similarly priced.

Bikie John
14th October 2012, 11:36 AM
You've hit a sore spot with many of us there, Seonnaidh. Not only do we not get a hood (which I agree is an essential) we don't get any sort of pouch or bag either. For the latter I still have a load of pouches from OM lenses so I am now recycling them. For the former I just went and got a generic screw-in rigid hood which didn't cost much more than a tenner IIRC. It does the job and provides good physical protection.

It is an utterly gorgeous lens.

Ciao ... John

Greytop
14th October 2012, 11:44 AM
Couldn't agree more with all the comments made, having just purchased the 60mm Macro pouchless and hoodless it's a sorry state of affairs. Particularly for the more premium m4/3rds lens offerings from Olympus :(
It has to said you don't feel left wanting in the same way with Panasonic m4/3rds optics.

sapper
14th October 2012, 12:38 PM
The lens hood for the 300mm2.8 is over 500 I believe. Yes, a rip off.

Zuiko
14th October 2012, 12:47 PM
Quite frankly it's a disgrace! :mad:

Bikie John
14th October 2012, 01:07 PM
The lens hood for the 300mm2.8 is over 500 I believe. Yes, a rip off.

At least you get one when you buy the lens!

John

Jim Ford
14th October 2012, 01:09 PM
This site might be helpful:

http://www.lenshoods.co.uk/

Jim

Chevvyf1
14th October 2012, 01:55 PM
Just wait for Snaarman to give us some handy hints on how to make them :cool:

ps Jon made on Korean or Chinese old maids thighs ... ;) ... as the Japanese maidens are too well educated with a degree and work in High Tech product Design :)

David M
14th October 2012, 02:07 PM
I think Olympus are copying some of the other camera makers who sell their lens hoods separately.

Part of the problem is the death of the independent camera stores who had boxes and drawers full of secondhand lens hoods you could rummage through to find one that would work for a pound or two.

Gwyver
14th October 2012, 03:30 PM
For a genuine Lens hood and that 'must have' accessory the metal lens cap
I could pay 110.
How on earth can Olympus justify this.
Are these items cold rolled by hand on the thighs of Japanese maidens?

No, the metal is forged by 'the national living treasures' who formerly made Samurai swords - which is why the images produced using this lens are so sharp *chr

JohnI
14th October 2012, 05:28 PM
. . . and the basis for the inks for our printers is carefully harvested from the tears of virgin Japanese maidens of Samurai descent only . . .

John

Wally
14th October 2012, 05:57 PM
Quite shocking especially, as mentioned, the hand-in-hand competition supply these items as standard at a similar price point. Let's not forget also, that their lens has IS built in = higher costs???

Just another of the reasons I returned the 4/3 version of the 40-150. The other being the plastic mount fittings. To me, it came over as cheap and nasty whilst at the same time, pinching pennies from their customers.

Mark Thackara
15th October 2012, 07:34 AM
I sympathise with the views expressed and we have fed this back many times. We will press for a response.

This is not a long term solution but I will look to see if we can run some form of promotion soon.

GRAHAMJ
15th October 2012, 07:50 AM
"This is not a long term solution but I will look to see if we can run some form of promotion soon."

Hopefully Mark you will backdate it to early September!

Mind you it does look good, and gives you a certain kind of feeling........that empty pocket feeling!

Graham

Mark Thackara
15th October 2012, 08:11 AM
Tricky one Graham but I do feel bad about it. Perhaps I could float the idea that anyone on the E-Group who buys a lens by the end of 2012 i could supply a hood but that leaves anyone who has bought recently in the lurch.

DIscuss

snaarman
15th October 2012, 08:33 AM
Just wait for Snaarman to give us some handy hints on how to make them :cool:

Oh dear, don't depend on me. I generally don't use lens hoods, I hold my free hand up in the right place if I think there's a problem*

However: Anything over 15 for a lens hood is all wrong, and as for 500...!!!

Pete

*Be careful with this method. you can get mistaken for a Fascist on occasions :)

StephenL
15th October 2012, 08:39 AM
Tricky one Graham but I do feel bad about it. Perhaps I could float the idea that anyone on the E-Group who buys a lens by the end of 2012 i could supply a hood but that leaves anyone who has bought recently in the lurch.

DIscuss

Is this a firm offer, Mark? :D

I appreciate your efforts in trying to change the global pricing policy of Olympus.

FWIW I have outline planning permission to purchase either a 60mm or a 75mm! But it will no doubt have to wait till we come back from the Antipodes (leave today!)

Greytop
15th October 2012, 09:02 AM

DIscuss

A difficult one I know Mark, thanks for the suggestions *chr
Having just taken delivery of the 60mm macro (from SRS) if there were any chance of a retrospective offer (as Graham mentioned) it would be very much appreciated :)

snaarman
15th October 2012, 09:08 AM
But it will no doubt have to wait till we come back from the Antipodes (leave today!)

Have a good holiday, take loads of pics.. *chr

Pete

Seonnaidh
15th October 2012, 09:11 AM
Mark,
Thank you for your positive response. I wish you all the very best with the powers that be.
In the meantime you could you also pass on that one pro photographer using an OMD E-M5 is thoroughly delighted with his new purchase.