PDA

View Full Version : OM-D and the GH3

Rawcoll
14th October 2012, 10:55 AM
The newly announced GH3 appears to have grown in size compared to its predecessor, the GH2. But, how much larger and heavier is it than the OM-D? Or more precisely, the OM-D with part 1 of its grip attached, which I think is probably a fairer comparison. I can't seem to find any details about the weights and sizes of the OM-D with each part of the HLD-6 grip attached, or comparative pictures of the two cameras for that matter (only between the GH3 and the 'naked' OM-D). Anyone have that info please?

Gwyver
14th October 2012, 03:49 PM
I can't seem to find any details about the weights and sizes of the OM-D with each part of the HLD-6 grip attached, ...
Anyone have that info please?

I've posted this previously, but can't remember where - so here goes:-

OM-D Body only = 425 g including battery & SD card
120 x 90 x 42 (WHD in mm)
BLN-1 battery = 52 g
36 x 15 x 50 (WHD)
HLD-6G (Grip pt1) = 102.5 g
118 x 72.5 x 51 (WHD)
HLD-6P (Grip pt 2) = 126.2 g (without 2nd battery)
118 x 31 x 56 (WHD)

Info source = OM-D manual pages 116 & 117, HLD-6 guide page 4.

Hope this helps.

Bikie John
14th October 2012, 03:52 PM
While Chris was looking bits up, I just weighed it on the kitchen scales.

E-M5 body, with top half of the grip (i.e. without the extra bit at the bottom which holds a second battery), with battery, memory card, standard strap, body cap and hotshoe cover weighs 575 gram(me)s. Which tallies near as dammit with what Chris found.

Ciao ... John

Rawcoll
14th October 2012, 06:32 PM
Thanks both. Don't know why the info isn't to be found on the Oly website. Ho hum.

So that means that the weight of the OM-D and HLD-6G is 528g, compared to the GH3's weight of 550g. So, not a lot in it (but both rather more than the GH2). As to the overall height, I can't work that out from the info you've kindly provided, Chris. How thick is the baseplate of the HLD-6G?

Gwyver
15th October 2012, 06:23 AM
Chris. How thick is the baseplate of the HLD-6G?

Ian,
Approx 10mm.

Gwyver
15th October 2012, 06:37 AM
Thanks both. Don't know why the info isn't to be found on the Oly website.

Ian,
I've just looked at the Oly UK website. You can find weight & dimension data for the OM-D at:
http://www.olympus.co.uk/site/en/c/cameras/om_d_system_cameras/om_d/e_m5/e_m5_specifications.html
and for the HLD-6 at:
http://www.olympus.co.uk/site/en/c/cameras_accessories/pen_om_d_cameras_accessories/pen_om_d_power_supplies/hld_6/hld_6_specifications.html
This page also tells you the additional height (i.e. baseplate thickness) for each part of the grip.
Regards,

Rawcoll
15th October 2012, 09:06 AM
Chris,

Doh! I must have looked at that page and still didn't see the dimensions :o

So that means that the OM-D + HDL-6G will stand about 100mm tall, which is to be compared with the GH3's height of 93mm. Mind you, the GH3 is not as svelte as the OM-D, and is 13mm wider. But overall, not a great deal between them.

So the choice between them really comes down to sensor performance (and if the GH3 really does have the same sensor as the OM-D, that should be minimal), video performance, if one is interested in that (I am not particularly), image stabilisation system, and price.

donmcmahan
15th October 2012, 05:52 PM
curious, why thinking of GH3 if you are not particularly interested in video? I believe the price will be a good bit more than the OM-D and the extra are all for the video capabilities.....I think I would get an OM-D and not give the GH3 a second thought except for one thing, I am interested in video.......by the way are you going to be selling that GH2:D

Rawcoll
15th October 2012, 06:31 PM
curious, why thinking of GH3 if you are not particularly interested in video?

Well, I suppose the short answer is that I'm keeping my options open. I don't have any strong allegiance to either of the manufacturers, other than that I was seriously miffed when Oly dropped the 4/3 line. That pushed me over to the Panny G and GH series, which had eye level viewfinders built in. Also the size/weight advantages I found to be of benefit as the years roll by. And I opted for a GH2 for its still capabilites, even though it is widely renowned for its video prowess (though I have occasionally used the video feature, but not to any serious extent).

When the OM-D was launched there was much to like, but I thought I'd see what Panny would next produce. I'm not in any great hurry. I was somewhat dissapointed at the GH3's size and weight, but actually, as I've gleaned, there is not that much difference between the OM-D with grip and the GH3. So it really comes down to other issues, but as you say the extra cost of the GH3 over the OM-D + grip is paying for the extra video features I can do without.

Either way, it's a lot of dosh to shell out, so that GH2 will have to soldier on for a bit more time yet!

DekHog
16th October 2012, 05:00 AM
See if this helps.....no option to add the grip, but better than nothing. Buttons on the left to change the view.... :)

Size Comparison (http://camerasize.com/compare/#289,381)

Rawcoll
16th October 2012, 07:50 AM
....no option to add the grip....

Thanks Derek. That's been the problem though (hence this post), because I think a like-for-like comparison would be the GH3 with the OM-D + grip, as I think I'd prefer to use an OM-D with the grip attached.

DekHog
16th October 2012, 07:42 PM
The first part of the grip is really small and will only add around 8mm (I think) to the height of the OM-D..... it'll still be a good bit smaller than the GH-3....

rboate
19th October 2012, 01:17 AM
I had a chance to handle both cameras at a trade show in Toronto last week. The GH3 was a preproduction model but in working form. The GH3 had a grip attached and was considerably larger and heavier than the E5 with grip. The GH3 wasnt that far off the size and weight of my Canon 60D with grip. I am poised to make the switch to m43 due to the size and weight of my Canon system so the GH3 despite its edge in video options is now less attractive to me.