PDA

View Full Version : E-M5 sensor just as good as Leica M9 full frame according to DxOMark

Ian
10th October 2012, 03:01 PM
I recently posted here (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23318) that DxOMark rated the E-M5's Sony sensor as better than the full frame Canon EOS-5D Mark III in terms of dynamic range.

The E-M5 also compares pretty much equally with the full frame 18MP Leica M9, which has an old-fashioned CCD sensor (distantly related to the sensors Olympus used in the E-1, E-300, and E-500).

And the E-M5 rates the same as the 16MP APS-C sensor in the Sony Alpha SLT A55, probably because the SLT system robs the sensor of 30% of its light.

Ian

Ian
11th October 2012, 10:16 AM
Interesting that there hasn't been much response to this post - looks like we're all very relaxed about the sensor situation these days :)

Ian

David Morison
11th October 2012, 10:41 AM
I think it might be that my skills are not up to the the capabilities of the E-M5 sensor!

David

OlyPaul
11th October 2012, 10:52 AM
Interesting that there hasn't been much response to this post - looks like we're all very relaxed about the sensor situation these days :)

Ian

Well it never bothered me before, but as DSLR owners have now stopped sniping at the MTF sensor and camera's what not to be relaxed about Ian.;)

It's surprising how many that used to belittle it on TP are now embracing it and some of the most vocal against it have brought a mtf.;)

Bikie John
11th October 2012, 11:19 AM
The Leica is a great package but the sensor starts to creak pretty quickly as soon as the ISO goes up and I reckon that by about 1600 the E-M5 is quite a bit better, with the additional benefit of a lot more headroom if needed.

Horses for courses, as always.

Ciao ... John

Ross the fiddler
11th October 2012, 11:48 AM
I'm relaxed with my E-M5 & its sensor's performance, but I'm yet to bump into someone else with one around here (in my local area). The local based forum doesn't seem to have anybody else with one yet as it it seems everybody else just follows the crowd (just like sheep *sarc) & gets one of the two main brands & occasionally Sony or Pentax. I still get a stare from some (that bother to look) at this different camera from everyone elses. They probably think it's a toy & it couldn't possibly be at all comparable with a "real" DSLR camera. :rolleyes:

I know there have been plenty sold in Australia (somewhere). *shrug

Zuiko
11th October 2012, 12:19 PM
I guess we are now getting blasť about being in the top division, regardless of size! :D

Last week at my local camera club meet I did hear someone ask another the inevitable question, "Do you use Nikon or Canon?"

Next time I meet a photographer for the first time I'm going to ask her if she uses Olympus or Pentax!

Ross the fiddler
11th October 2012, 12:31 PM
I guess we are now getting blasť about being in the top division, regardless of size! :D

Last week at my local camera club meet I did hear someone ask another the inevitable question, "Do you use Nikon or Canon?"

Next time I meet a photographer for the first time I'm going to ask her if she uses Olympus or Pentax!

Or you could just say, "No, I'm more discerning than that." ;)

Seonnaidh
11th October 2012, 12:40 PM
Strange thing is that a lot of our workshop participants ask me what I use and I always reply;
"What equipment I use is irelevant. What is important is how I try to get the very best I can from it"

I enjoy using my OMD immensely. In fact I think I can honestly say it has given me more photographic pleasure than any other kit I've owned for a very long time.
However I ocassionally take out my Mamiya RZ 67 a Leica M4p and a Nikon F2as. And, let it be whispered a Sinar 5x4 field camera. These cameras still give me immense pleasure, not so much from the image quality inherent in each and every one but from the challenge of getting the very best image I can from each one.
A home made pin hole camera has recently been resurrected but I am now sourcing a pinhole adapter for micro four thirds. I know I will get pleasure from using it, and to me that is the be all and end all of any camera/lens/whatever. Enjoyment of use. End of message.

benvendetta
11th October 2012, 12:42 PM

I like that reply!!!!!
Not sure if I would get any repeat judging if I said that though :eek:

Bikie John
11th October 2012, 01:17 PM

I don't waste that many words. I just say "No".

Ciao ... Terse John

Ian
11th October 2012, 01:42 PM
Strange thing is that a lot of our workshop participants ask me what I use and I always reply;
"What equipment I use is irelevant. What is important is how I try to get the very best I can from it"

I enjoy using my OMD immensely. In fact I think I can honestly say it has given me more photographic pleasure than any other kit I've owned for a very long time.
However I ocassionally take out my Mamiya RZ 67 a Leica M4p and a Nikon F2as. And, let it be whispered a Sinar 5x4 field camera. These cameras still give me immense pleasure, not so much from the image quality inherent in each and every one but from the challenge of getting the very best image I can from each one.
A home made pin hole camera has recently been resurrected but I am now sourcing a pinhole adapter for micro four thirds. I know I will get pleasure from using it, and to me that is the be all and end all of any camera/lens/whatever. Enjoyment of use. End of message.

I made a pin-hole lens out of an Olympus pen camera body cap using some tin foil. See:

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18590

Scroll down to see improved pictures as I perfected the pin-hole lens :)

Ian

drmarkf
18th October 2012, 05:26 AM
I'm yet to bump into someone else with one around here (in my local area). The local based forum doesn't seem to have anybody else with one yet as it it seems everybody else just follows the crowd (just like sheep *sarc) & gets one of the two main brands & occasionally Sony or Pentax. I still get a stare from some (that bother to look) at this different camera from everyone elses. They probably think it's a toy & it couldn't possibly be at all comparable with a "real" DSLR camera. :rolleyes:

During our 2 week holiday in S California, ending tomorrow, I've been asked twice about the E-M5, both times initially mistaking it for an OM film series. The follow up question both times want along the lines of "Oh, that's really cool. Are you a professional?"

:)