PDA

View Full Version : My book now published as an ebook for iPad

Zuiko
9th October 2012, 10:33 PM
I have just published my book, The Light Fantastic, as an ebook for iPad. It is available now from Blurb for just 0.99p and should also be available for the same price through the Apple store within a few weeks.

Blurb link: http://store.blurb.co.uk/ebooks/302626-the-light-fantastic

tomphotofx
9th October 2012, 11:30 PM
Hi John

Just downloaded your book for the iPad, it opens in iBooks I've only taken a quick look as it's late, very impressive will take a proper look in the morning. The Digital Age opens up so many wonderful opportunities, you must be very proud of your book and thanks for sharing at what must be a bargin price.

All the best.

Tom*chr

Graham_of_Rainham
9th October 2012, 11:32 PM
Well done John. Yet another way for your work to be seen.

Good luck

*chr

Zuiko
9th October 2012, 11:42 PM
Hi John

Just downloaded your book for the iPad, it opens in iBooks I've only taken a quick look as it's late, very impressive will take a proper look in the morning. The Digital Age opens up so many wonderful opportunities, you must be very proud of your book and thanks for sharing at what must be a bargin price.

All the best.

Tom*chr

Thanks for downloading, Tom! :) I think it is great that Blurb are allowing authors full control of the pricing and taking only a very reasonable commision (20%). That has enabled me to keep the price realistic to reach a much wider audience than the paper version, which really is quite expensive albeit of excellent quality.

Phill D
10th October 2012, 04:56 AM
John I've loved looking through your book so I think that ebook is an excellent idea. I know apps are usually pretty cheap these days but 99p does sound very cheap. Hope it generates a lot of downloads. My son put a small game on for download and in a year he got in the region of 50,000 downloads. Unfortunately he put it on for free download! so not a money spinner in this case and I'm sure the number of downloads was so high as it was free. But it does show the potential and supports your setting of a low price.

LMGruchy
10th October 2012, 07:39 AM
Well done.

The Saint
10th October 2012, 07:52 AM
John

Will definately be downloading a copy. I looked at the book previously when it was in hardcopy and the price did make it prohibitive to order. However, at 99p it's a bargin in electronic format.

The only concern is it will devalve the work of artists, will this lead to an expectation from the public at large that 99p is the going rate for a book of such high quality? Whereas in reality this was a labour of love by yourself rather than a commercial enterprise (as I doubt you'll make your millions from the book).

Or then again this might be a cunning marketing poly by yourself to get me hooked on your wonderful work and when the next installment comes out at a signficiantly higher price I'll more encouraged to buy knowing the value and enjoyment I will get out of it. :D

Simon

sponner
10th October 2012, 10:37 AM
I'll have a bit of that.

As a pauper I haven't got an iPad, what readers do people use on their PC?

Wally
10th October 2012, 10:50 AM
Just had a quick flick through the ebook and to say I'm impressed would be an understatement. A variety of fantastic locations / shots, nice narrative with hints and tips thrown in for good measure = a little gem.

Hope it does well, as it should. The price point I feel is way too low, another 1 or two would still make it a bargain buy... good luck with the venture.

StephenL
10th October 2012, 11:29 AM
I'll have a bit of that.

As a pauper I haven't got an iPad, what readers do people use on their PC?
You can get a free copy of Kindle Reader for PC.

Chevvyf1
10th October 2012, 06:24 PM
John, GOOD to hear your book is going from strength to strength :)

I still look through my hardback copy of INSPIRATION & INFORMATION :) :) :) OFTEN !

Phill D
10th October 2012, 07:44 PM
Will it work on kindle for PV then as well or just an ipad?

angelpaaul
10th October 2012, 08:59 PM
John, I've just downloaded your ebook. Absolutely brilliant, beautiful photographs and inspirational. Well done.

Regards - Paul

Zuiko
10th October 2012, 11:18 PM
John I've loved looking through your book so I think that ebook is an excellent idea. I know apps are usually pretty cheap these days but 99p does sound very cheap. Hope it generates a lot of downloads. My son put a small game on for download and in a year he got in the region of 50,000 downloads. Unfortunately he put it on for free download! so not a money spinner in this case and I'm sure the number of downloads was so high as it was free. But it does show the potential and supports your setting of a low price.

50,000 downloads is success by any standard, even if it is free, but shame he didn't put just 50p on each one!

Zuiko
10th October 2012, 11:44 PM
John

Will definately be downloading a copy. I looked at the book previously when it was in hardcopy and the price did make it prohibitive to order. However, at 99p it's a bargin in electronic format.

The only concern is it will devalve the work of artists, will this lead to an expectation from the public at large that 99p is the going rate for a book of such high quality? Whereas in reality this was a labour of love by yourself rather than a commercial enterprise (as I doubt you'll make your millions from the book).

Or then again this might be a cunning marketing poly by yourself to get me hooked on your wonderful work and when the next installment comes out at a signficiantly higher price I'll more encouraged to buy knowing the value and enjoyment I will get out of it. :D

Simon

Hi Simon, the issue of pricing is always difficult. The paper version is too expensive to achieve mass sales and this does seem a great opportunity to make it accessible to many more people, but where is the line between a bargain and too expensive? 1.00? 2.50? 5.00? I decided to follow the example of the Pound Shops, and see what happens. However, even at 99p I doubt it will sell enough copies to influence public perception on the going rate for a book of this type. If it does unexpectedly become a best seller I won't care anyway; I make 79p profit on each sale (through Blurb, but only 49p through Apple when it gets approved for sale there) and that multiplied by 5,000 would do very nicely indeed!

Whatever happens, it's all good experience in case there is another book. :)

Zuiko
10th October 2012, 11:49 PM
Will it work on kindle for PV then as well or just an ipad?

As far as I know it will, unfortunately, only work on an iPad. That's a shame because obviously if it was also available on Kindle or PC it would widen the potential market considerably.

The Saint
11th October 2012, 07:45 AM
Hi Simon, the issue of pricing is always difficult. The paper version is too expensive to achieve mass sales and this does seem a great opportunity to make it accessible to many more people, but where is the line between a bargain and too expensive? 1.00? 2.50? 5.00? I decided to follow the example of the Pound Shops, and see what happens. However, even at 99p I doubt it will sell enough copies to influence public perception on the going rate for a book of this type. If it does unexpectedly become a best seller I won't care anyway; I make 79p profit on each sale (through Blurb, but only 49p through Apple when it gets approved for sale there) and that multiplied by 5,000 would do very nicely indeed!

Whatever happens, it's all good experience in case there is another book. :)

John,

I wasn't thinking specifically with the sale of your book, but generally I do feel that costs a being driven down to unrealistic levels, where making a profit as a commercial enterprise is very difficult.

I can appreciate the difficultly you have determining the appropriate cost to charge, there is a fine balance. I really wish I had the time and skill to put such an excellent book together.

John's book comes as a .epub file, if that helps anyone work out what software it will work with.

If I remember correctly from my last Blurb Book it's possible to do a PDF version, although I'm not sure if this can be sold through the Blurb store.

Regards

Simon