PDA

View Full Version : Digitizing 35mm slides & negatives

CJJE
8th October 2012, 11:50 AM
I have a vast collection of 35mm slides andd negatives, and would like to add the best shots to my digital collection. But being tight, I don't want to buy a film scanner for the relatively short job!!

So I've been experimenting with my E-M5 and 12-50 at its macro setting. The closest focus seems ideal for capturing whe whole 35mm image, with a slice of the film edge as well to help get rid of the orange cast.

Does anyone know of a device to mount the flim in front of the lens though? (SRB had one in their 2012 catalogue but it doesn't seem to be available any more!)

snaarman
8th October 2012, 12:45 PM
I'm afraid I made mine out of an old flash bracket, some aluminium and the slide holder from a slide scanner*

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/622/slide_rig1.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/11438)

Pete

*sorry about that last bit...

David M
8th October 2012, 01:19 PM
I've got a 35mm slide duplicator I'm thinking of trying to modify.

As a side note, has anyone tried an enlarger lens for copying? After all, they're dsigned to have a flat field.

Melaka
8th October 2012, 01:25 PM
The standard solution seems to be buying a second hand scanner off eBay and then selling it on once you've finished. I've a Coolscan IV, which can be made to work with 64bit systems although Nikon never made 64bit drivers. It's quite slow but in the long run probably quicker and no more expensive than making up your own kit.

CJJE
14th October 2012, 06:18 PM
Update:

SRB can still provide their DSLR slide copier, but as it's custom-made for your needs it's not shown on their website. After an email to them, I just had to quote the filter thread for my Olympus 12-50mm lens and the distance I wanted between the slide/neg and the front of the lens. I measured this by mounting my camera on a tripod pointing down on a slide, adjusting the distance to nearly fill the frame and checking it would focus. (If you leave a bit of unexposed neg film in the picture, you can get rid of the orange base colour by telling Photoshop Elements it should be white, and then reversing the colours in the image.) The cost was 44.95.

I'll post some pics of the kit and some results when I can.

snaarman
14th October 2012, 06:37 PM
Update:

(If you leave a bit of unexposed neg film in the picture, you can get rid of the orange base colour by telling Photoshop Elements it should be white, and then reversing the colours in the image.)

When I did my slides and colour negs I use a flash as a predicatable light source (see above). For colour negs I put a light blue filter over the flash. It goes some way towards neutralising the orange mask on the neg and it gave me much better results.

Pete

David M
14th October 2012, 06:54 PM
The SRB slide copier sounds similar to the one I built 25 years ago. Mine telescopes for focus adjustment and has a slot in front of the slide holder for correction filters.