PDA

View Full Version : HELP! E-5 ? panoramic ? how

Chevvyf1
7th October 2012, 08:10 PM
Hi, does anyone know how to take in Pano mode with the E-5 ? looking and cannot find it ... HELP :eek:

timg
7th October 2012, 09:18 PM
I've never used the built in modes for Panoramas... have you tried using something like Microsoft ICE which is free and works pretty well in my experience.

RogerMac
7th October 2012, 09:53 PM
You can do it in a combination of scene modes and Olympus viewer - page 60 of the manual refers.

That said many editing programs - such as PS Elements - also offer this function without having to set any scene modes when taking the images

Roger

Ian
8th October 2012, 06:49 AM
Best shoot in RAW, but if not, ensure that the white balance is set manually. Also switch off anything automatic - use manual exposure and set the exposure for the centre of the planned panorama. Us manual focus too. I recommend vertical framing and a tripod, ensuring, if possible, that the camera is level (you can use the E-5's level indicator). Shoot with no less than a quarter of a frame overlap from one shot to the next. Next, show us the result :)

Ian

Chevvyf1
8th October 2012, 07:28 AM
WoW ! Thanks so much Tim, Roger and Ian *chr

I shall shoot .raw and download ICE (never heard of that:) ) and I am looking up P 60 in my manual ! I was going to try and do a pano for the Tranquillity comp - but time management was rubbish ... - but now shall do one or two just for the experience :)

Huge Thanks again !

Topsyrm
8th October 2012, 07:46 PM
You can do it in a combination of scene modes and Olympus viewer - page 60 of the manual refers.

Roger

I found this thread intriguing because I didn't know the e-5 had a panoramic mode. I have searched the manual but couldn't find any reference to it even on page 60. I may be barking up the wrong tree here but to me a panoramic mode will create the panorama in camera either by stitching or using a letterbox type format. I have a Fuji X10 which does a brilliant job of stitching in camera, are we saying the e-5 has this knid of function? :confused:

RogerMac
8th October 2012, 09:18 PM
I found this thread intriguing because I didn't know the e-5 had a panoramic mode. I have searched the manual but couldn't find any reference to it even on page 60. I may be barking up the wrong tree here but to me a panoramic mode will create the panorama in camera either by stitching or using a letterbox type format. I have a Fuji X10 which does a brilliant job of stitching in camera, are we saying the e-5 has this knid of function? :confused:

Many apologies - the E5 does not have an "auto panorama" mode, but the E-M5 does and I was searching that manual by mistake. I have checked the help section in Viewer and that only claims to work with the auto panorama function so presumably not with E5 images. However as I said Elements has a function that works with manually selected images and I believe that this function is common.

Sorry for the confusion

Roger

DerekW
9th October 2012, 01:03 AM
I have done several panos using the E1 E3 and E5 using the same technique.

The reccomended technique is to set the exposure to manual too suit the overall scene, set the focus to manual and set it so the whole scene is in focus. Then using a tripod take a series of pictures with about a third of the horizontal image over lapping.

Then convert the RAW to PSD ensuring that each image is similar in density (exposure) then I use the merge photos function in Photoshop to merge the photos, flatten the levels down to one level and do a levels and curves adjustment to get the image to do what you want.

However in practice I do not always set the focus to manual especially if it is a mostly distant view, I do not always set the exposure to manual but attempt to to hold the shutter release button half way down while taking the pictures. And my final crime is that I do not use a tripod.

The biggest panorama was done with about 20 or so images and created a very large final image before it was reduced in size for web viewing.

I converted a couple of panos with Pano2VR and they can be seen in this thread

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22423