PDA

View Full Version : Features you would like to see on future lenses

CaptainD
11th July 2008, 09:07 PM
I enjoyed the thread we had on future firmware features you all would like.

So, I just thought I would start a thread for lenses. There is one thing that I have to admit really annoys me, this is the poor standard of the tripod collars. As many of you will know I like taking shots of birds, and all of the four thirds lenses that I have used mounted on a tripod are a pain to swivel from protrait to landscape due to the collar just being a basic metal pinch arrangement. I have used both 50-200mm lenses, Sigma Bigma and the 150mm F2 all of which are not easy to quickly rotate.

The glourious exception is the wonderful 90-250mm lens that I played with at a recent Digital Depot Oly day. A class act but sadly I have yet to win the lottery and I live in hope that future lenses will have a really slick mechanism like this beauty.

Has anyone got any other features / improvements they would like to see?

Cheers

Chris *chr

Chillimonster
11th July 2008, 09:42 PM
Future lenses......

I agree about the tripod collar thing....

I would like to see constant apature "affordable" zooms.

JohnGG
11th July 2008, 11:24 PM
Because the highly desireable 7-14mm f/4.0 is out of reach, I would like to see some fast wide-angle primes the equivalent of the fantastic OM 21mm f/2.0 and 24mm f/2.0, in the Pro range so they get weather sealing plus SWD. Something like a 7mm f/2.8, 9mm f/2.8, 10.5mm f/2.0, 12mm f/2.0, 14mm f/2.0 and 17.5mm f/2.0 ... or, failing those, an update of the 11-22mm f/2.8-3.5 with SWD and a slightly wider range, perhaps 8.5-20mm f/2.8-3.5 .

A long macro, 105mm f/2.8 and (not a lens) a 4/3rds equivalent of the OM 65~116mm variable length extension tube and a bellows. The OM system excelled at high-magnification macro work but, so far, the E-system hasn't brought anything like the 20mm f/2.0 and 38mm f/2.8 to market.

A shift lens would be a fantastic addition, particularly if Olympus could also incorporate a tilt mechanism, as Canon and Nikon do (I will wash my mouth out later :o)

A Pro range long zoom lens like the Sigma 135-400mm but brighter (so it more useable with a tele-converter) and better IQ, perhaps 135-400mm f/3.5-4.5 would not be too too bulky.

Cheaper, less bright long primes; 150mm f/2.8, 200mm f/2.8, 300mm f/4.0 and 400mm f/5.6 .

I'm going to leave a glass of sherry, a mince pie and a carrot on the hearth :)

Cheers,

JohnGG

StephenL
12th July 2008, 07:46 AM
Slide-out lens hoods instead of clip-on.

gno
12th July 2008, 05:42 PM
I'm going to leave a glass of sherry, a mince pie and a carrot on the hearth :)

You'll need to leave more than that if you want to stand a chance of getting any of that booty!

Barr1e
12th July 2008, 08:27 PM
Slide-out lens hoods instead of clip-on.

Great idea.

Regards. Barr1e

Graham_of_Rainham
12th July 2008, 09:18 PM
It probably wouldn't get a lot of use and probably should be a filter manufactureres accessory. The idea is a bottom weighted slip-ring onto which you mount the polarising filter such that having set the filter to the desired polarising angle or setup the grad filter to the angle required it stays in the correct orientation when the front of the lens rotates to obtain its final focus.

I'd have liked it if my new 70-300 hood had the removeable slot to adjust the filter through.

I hope the new Ultra Wide Zoom will have a filter capability of some type. If I want to use anything on my 7-14 it all has to be done with blue tack. But that's the real fun anyway.:)

CaptainD
14th July 2008, 11:28 AM
I had forgotten about sliding lens hoods, what a good idea. Thats got me all dewey eyed thinking about one of my all time favourite OM Zuikos the 135mm F3.5. By the way it works very well on a Oly digital body mounted on a MF-1. What a good, light and best of all cheap lens it is.

Happy days

Chris *chr

Invicta
14th July 2008, 11:42 AM
I wish Oly would introduce:

1) A perspective correction lens (they used to do them for the OM system). I would definitely be interested in this. :)

2) A true macro zoom lens.

3) A super zoom: 400mm range (but I doubt I could afford one) :rolleyes:

HughofBardfield
14th July 2008, 11:52 AM
A shift lens would be a fantastic addition, particularly if Olympus could also incorporate a tilt mechanism, as Canon and Nikon do (I will wash my mouth out later :o)

Cheers,

JohnGG

That's what I really, really, really want as well. However, if they produced it, I don't suppose I could afford it :(

I'd also like a non-full frame fisheye, along the lines of the OM 8mm - and a sub-11mm fast prime.

blu-by-u
15th July 2008, 02:00 AM
Lumix/Leica did a good job moving the Aperture adjustment to the lens. if only it works on the Olympus bodies. And later have it added to the lenses as well.