PDA

View Full Version : Food for thought?

Ian
4th October 2012, 12:18 PM
According to DxOMark test data the E-M5's dynamic range is actually superior to a full frame Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III. The Canon has about a stop superiority in terms of noise threshold but that's not a huge amount. Yes the Canon is 4 years older, but it makes you think, eh?

Ian

Ross the fiddler
4th October 2012, 12:24 PM
It makes me pleased I bought the E-M5. ;) But, then again, I didn't need them to tell me it was good because it looked good to me anyhow. :rolleyes: :D

I've recovered detail from what looked like a completely blown highlight in the sky & the deatail was still there when negative compensation was applied to the RAW, so that is a good indicator of how good the dynamic range is. *yes

Zuiko
4th October 2012, 02:32 PM
It means we no longer have to hang our heads in shame when forced to admit the guilty little secret that we own Olympus gear. :rolleyes:

JohnI
4th October 2012, 03:10 PM
It means we no longer have to hang our heads in shame when forced to admit the guilty little secret that we own Olympus gear. :rolleyes:

I've learned to wear a paper bag over my head and a small placard hung around my neck with twine which says "I am ashamed to say I have a small sensor" when out with my Oly gear in public.

Perhaps this is why I can't seem to get close enough to people when street shooting to get good candids?

John

snaarman
4th October 2012, 03:33 PM
Yes, and I no longer need those small white on black Nikon stickers

StephenL
4th October 2012, 03:37 PM
Just proves what I've been telling the wife for years, size doesn't matter!

DJMC
4th October 2012, 04:08 PM
I've learned to wear a paper bag over my head and a small placard hung around my neck with twine which says "I am ashamed to say I have a small sensor" when out with my Oly gear in public.

Perhaps this is why I can't seem to get close enough to people when street shooting to get good candids?

John

Talking of "candids", does anyone use a VF-2/3 at 90 degrees atop their OM-D so as to look down into the camera? I found this to be great at a couple of weddings as folk only think you're taking their photo when facing them with your eye up against the camera or gazing at the LCD.

Ian
4th October 2012, 04:42 PM
You guys really make me laugh :)

Ian

Nick Temple-Fry
4th October 2012, 04:43 PM
Yes, and I no longer need those small white on black Nikon stickers

Unfortunately my E-3 hangs on a Canon strap. It would like to have an Olympus strap, but as it broke the last one in a desperate attempt (foiled) to show how well it bounces it is being punished.

Anyway new manufacturers straps are ridiculously expensive.

Nick

DJMC
4th October 2012, 05:02 PM
Unfortunately my E-3 hangs on a Canon strap. It would like to have an Olympus strap, but as it broke the last one in a desperate attempt (foiled) to show how well it bounces it is being punished.

Nick

I have a brand new spare Olympus strap off an E-Something if you're desperate! Or do you quite like the idea of people thinking you use a Canon - at least from behind you!? :rolleyes:

How much do you think they are new? I'm sure we could come to an arrangement? Is the E-3 strap any different from 'normal'?

Can post a pic later if need be.

;)

Zuiko
4th October 2012, 05:14 PM

Nick

That will either give you undeserved street cred or cause utter confusion. Either way, good for you. :D

Wouldn't it be great if we could have camera straps personalized with our own "strap" lines?

Things like:-

"My other camera is a Leica"

"I'm only using Olympus while my Canon is in for repair"

"My name is David Bailey"

"Ignore me, I'm a tourist"

"It's all done without mirrors"

"I'm not a photographer, I'm a pixel peeper"

or even,

"I'm not a photographer, I'm a terrorist!" :eek:

Any other ideas?

Zuiko
4th October 2012, 05:16 PM
You guys really make me laugh :)

Ian

We try! :D

DJMC
4th October 2012, 05:37 PM
That will either give you undeserved street cred or cause utter confusion. Either way, good for you. :D

Wouldn't it be great if we could have camera straps personalized with our own "strap" lines?

Things like:-

"My other camera is a Leica"

"I'm only using Olympus while my Canon is in for repair"

"My name is David Bailey"

"Ignore me, I'm a tourist"

"It's all done without mirrors"

"I'm not a photographer, I'm a pixel peeper"

or even,

"I'm not a photographer, I'm a terrorist!" :eek:

Any other ideas?

:)

http://highkeycamera.com/products/custom-camera-strap

;)

Zuiko
4th October 2012, 06:13 PM
:)

http://highkeycamera.com/products/custom-camera-strap

;)

Well I never! Is there anything that hasn't yet been done?

David Morison
4th October 2012, 06:24 PM
According to DxOMark test data the E-M5's dynamic range is actually superior to a full frame Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III. The Canon has about a stop superiority in terms of noise threshold but that's not a huge amount. Yes the Canon is 4 years older, but it makes you think, eh?

Ian

Having recently bought a Canon 7D + 400mm f5.6 because it does BIFs so well, I have just done a comparison against my E-M5 + 75-300mm using exactly the same settings and with the same (static) subject. Given that the Canon 400mm has an EFL of 640mm against the Olympus (at full zoom) EFL of 600mm the E-M5 images show a tad more detail. There may well be differences in what happens in Viewer 2 against Canon pro, but these observations were made on RAWs imported into LR. Whatever is going on the E-M5 certainly appears to be standing up for itself!

David

Barr1e
4th October 2012, 07:06 PM
Well I never! Is there anything that hasn't yet been done?

From the highkeycamera site there is this:

http://vimeo.com/6933339

Regards. Barr1e

Nick Temple-Fry
5th October 2012, 12:07 AM
I have a brand new spare Olympus strap off an E-Something if you're desperate! Or do you quite like the idea of people thinking you use a Canon - at least from behind you!? :rolleyes:

How much do you think they are new? I'm sure we could come to an arrangement? Is the E-3 strap any different from 'normal'?

Can post a pic later if need be.

;)

Thanks David.

I like my E-3, and it's often to be found on a geared tripod mount lovingly rewarded with the cable kiss attentions of a remote.

And of course my 90-250 has its own Olympus strap for the days I'm feeling strong.

But truth be - the Olympus strap is flawed, a good knock on the belt buckles and an accident is waiting to happen.

Now my old Canon strap (and it must be 20 years old) has no padding - but good plain metal buckles - easy to check each time you put it on.

And of course I've always viewed the Canon embroidery - only visible from the back - as instruction to the Canon snappers to queue behind whilst the Olympus Photographer takes a picture.

Nick

Ross the fiddler
5th October 2012, 12:17 AM
Just proves what I've been telling the wife for years, size doesn't matter!

It's the quality that counts. Now how did we get onto that subject? :rolleyes: :D

Ross the fiddler
5th October 2012, 12:20 AM
We try! :D

And some of us are just plain trying. :p (funny, my wife has told me that before :o)

Ross the fiddler
5th October 2012, 12:24 AM
Having recently bought a Canon 7D + 400mm f5.6 because it does BIFs so well, I have just done a comparison against my E-M5 + 75-300mm using exactly the same settings and with the same (static) subject. Given that the Canon 400mm has an EFL of 640mm against the Olympus (at full zoom) EFL of 600mm the E-M5 images show a tad more detail. There may well be differences in what happens in Viewer 2 against Canon pro, but these observations were made on RAWs imported into LR. Whatever is going on the E-M5 certainly appears to be standing up for itself!

David

The 5 different axis' being stabilised, I believe would help too. It's surprising how much rotational movement there can be when photographing hand held (perhaps more so with the smaller body).

Phill D
5th October 2012, 04:46 AM
Those custom straps are pretty cool. How about an e-system user group design Ian? Maybe run a competition for the best design and then commission a discounted set from the manufacturer and sell them to members, or give them away to competition winners?