PDA

View Full Version : Whitstable beach

shirley
10th July 2008, 08:02 PM
I would really like some honest feedback on this.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Beach-and-groins.jpg

Thank you for looking
Shirley

bully74uk
10th July 2008, 11:18 PM
Im afraid I can only offer you "novice" feedback as I am quite new to photography so please accept my comments for what they are worth.

I like the shot and am drawn to the pebbles, I also like the calmness of the sea.

I like the composition.

The only part of this picture that doesn't catch my eye is the sky but I suppose there is not much you could do about that.

If it were me that pressed the shutter I would have been quite happy with it.

JohnGG
10th July 2008, 11:34 PM
I think this is very good, both in the composition and in the muted tones which suit the empty, almost desolate, subject matter. I think the sky being flat actually adds to the shot, a dramatic one would have lost the character I've alluded to above. The only thing I might change would be to crop slightly from the right to remove some of the shoreline where it becomes a bit untidy.

I like it *yes

Cheers,

JohnGG

Nick Temple-Fry
10th July 2008, 11:51 PM
Shirley

You've asked for comments/criticism so here goes.

1) I think technically it is a great image

2) I really can't work out why I'm looking at it.

That shot, with a big wide open sky, would have been the sea/coast for me, a big chunk of heavy sky and the leaden water beneath. The corner of pebbles/groin providing the relief/context.

A crashing wave against the groin, whilst hackneyed, would have given it drama/purpose.

A lolly paper caught on the stones, or a teddy bear washed up at the tideline.

Sorry, all this may be 'harsh' by e-group standards, but I'm not sure what you took this photograph to 'show'. So I look at it and think, this is technically great but..

(Oh - and I should add it is probably way better than I would have shot)

Nick

shirley
11th July 2008, 06:51 AM
Nick,
I dont think that is harsh at all. I 'like' the image, but I dont know why and I am trying to be objective. I wonder if its just plain boring, which might be what you are trying to say. I like the colours of the pebbles and the grey atmosphere but it doesnt have that ooh factor, so thanks for your comments.
Shirley

Jim Ford
11th July 2008, 01:29 PM
A crashing wave against the groin, whilst hackneyed, would have given it drama/purpose.

Ermm, it's 'groyne' - 'crashing wave against the groin' conjures up an entirely different image! :eek:

Jim

gno
11th July 2008, 01:49 PM
Shirley

I like it a lot.

I think it could be even better if the mid tones were lifted slightly, which highlights the pebbles even more.
Not sure if you reduced the size on the image for display, but it has more appeal to me at double the original size.

Regards

Gavin

DekHog
11th July 2008, 02:06 PM
I like it, I think it has a great calmness about it - only thing I'd say is that the sky colouring looks a bit odd - maybe it was just like that, or maybe it was due to you 'tweaking' it afterwards?

shirley
11th July 2008, 05:55 PM
What do you think about this version?

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Beach-and-groynes_4.jpg

Again critique very welcome
Thank you

DekHog
11th July 2008, 08:08 PM
I like the sky much better - If I was going to be picky (sorry), I'd say split the sky from the rest of the pic when bringing out the detail of the clouds, as the stones look over saturated now - still a lovely shot though, and if I had to pick one it would definitely be the second one, although it's lost a little bit of the 'calmness' of the first; colours not quite as muted.

Nick Temple-Fry
11th July 2008, 08:57 PM
Well the English Weather has always had the reputation of being changeable.

The blue path in the sky gives the eyes somewhere to go, so it is much improved as a composition. Balances out the stones better as well.

Seem to have gained an island just visible over the Groyne (thank you Jim) and part of the beach has become an artifact (rhs).

But it has a shape now that my eye can follow.

Nick

bully74uk
11th July 2008, 09:33 PM
Yep, that modified sky gets my vote *yes

OlyPaul
12th July 2008, 09:55 AM
The second one is much better and visually pleasing Shirley. :)