PDA

View Full Version : OMD So far.

Seonnaidh
3rd October 2012, 09:42 PM
Well firstly the good points.
It does all I want it to and more. The image quality is fine. I have just enlarged an uncropped file taken on the OMD using the 45mm f1.8 to 20 x 15 inches and at normal viewing distance it is fabulous.
The wee machine is light and easily portable even with the grip fitted, and the 12-50mm 'kit' lens is quite satisfactory , and at around f8/f11 produces fine results.
The down side: Mmmmm well lack of investigation into the menu systems by myself is probably the root cause of most problems.
For some reason the focus point seems to have a mind of its own and changes every time I seem to put the camera down.
Can't seem to set it up to show last image taken on the rear screen (again I'm probably at fault)
The rear top dial is set to adjust exposure compensation and tis seems to be self motivated at times.

Other than that I think the machine is the Rat's Pyjamas.
Now to increase my lens stock. At present I have the 45mm 1.8, the 12-50mm kit lens, and the Panny 45-200mm All fine and dandy.
I have thought things through and so far I have decided on getting the 12mm Oly lens, the 25mm f1.4 Panny lens and the Oly 75mm f1.8 lens.
Maybe a macro at some time.
If anyone has any suggestions and or advice as always I am more than willing to listen.

Seonnaidh
3rd October 2012, 09:45 PM
Ooooh I forgot to add.
It's great seeing the faces of the Canikon gang when they spot the OMD.
You can almost feel their thoughts. " He can't be a serious photographer with that thing"

Mmmmm! Maybe not. But then again I just maybe.
Lol.

brian1208
3rd October 2012, 10:06 PM
It's great seeing the faces of the Canikon gang when they spot the OMD.

shortly after converting from canon I was invited to a Canon open day at our airport flying club (sponsored by a local photo chain)

I got a similar look when I trotted in with my little shoulder bag and whipped out the EM-5 + 75-300.

I had to explain to my hosts that I still had a couple of canon lenses + a converter so could try out some of the lovely new canon lenses on it.

Their faces were a treat, even more so when a lot of the Canoneers snuck over and had a look at my results (all were mightily impressed and some expressed suprise, particularly at the reach of the 75-300 on the EM-5, "150 - 600mm equivalent and its that light!" )

Ross the fiddler
3rd October 2012, 11:04 PM
Well firstly the good points.
It does all I want it to and more. The image quality is fine. I have just enlarged an uncropped file taken on the OMD using the 45mm f1.8 to 20 x 15 inches and at normal viewing distance it is fabulous.
The wee machine is light and easily portable even with the grip fitted, and the 12-50mm 'kit' lens is quite satisfactory , and at around f8/f11 produces fine results.
The down side: Mmmmm well lack of investigation into the menu systems by myself is probably the root cause of most problems.
For some reason the focus point seems to have a mind of its own and changes every time I seem to put the camera down.
Can't seem to set it up to show last image taken on the rear screen (again I'm probably at fault)
The rear top dial is set to adjust exposure compensation and tis seems to be self motivated at times.

Other than that I think the machine is the Rat's Pyjamas.
Now to increase my lens stock. At present I have the 45mm 1.8, the 12-50mm kit lens, and the Panny 45-200mm All fine and dandy.
I have thought things through and so far I have decided on getting the 12mm Oly lens, the 25mm f1.4 Panny lens and the Oly 75mm f1.8 lens.
Maybe a macro at some time.
If anyone has any suggestions and or advice as always I am more than willing to listen.

You might consider programming your 4 way keys to direct functions & a press of the left arrow key will still put you into selecting a standard focus point (with all 4 keys or both dials then allowing the positioning of it in that mode). That way the focus area (if set to single AF area) won't be changed if a 4 way button is pressed accidently. Pressing [OK] or the shutter button returns the 4 way keys to the 4 functions programmed to them (I use drive mode down & ISO right). I also prefer to use the 'touch to focus' function where it gives me a 'zoom' box that can be located anywhere (within the focus area of the screen) & can be made small or large with a slider on the right (as well as being able to check the zoomed view if needed by pressing the 'magnify' spot on the lower right of the screen).

David Morison
4th October 2012, 05:56 AM
I'm glad you are getting on well with it even if you have one or two questions. In my experience it takes an age to totally get to grips with all it can do and this forum certainly helps here, even if you think you've reached a dead end there will always be someone on here that knows the answer. The results are amazing from such a small offering but they take a little familiarity to achieve under all conditions.

As for the minor Canon knocking, while I still have and enjoy the E-M5 I have changed my E5 for a canon 7D, principally for bird photography, and I won't ever knock Canon again. It's capability is amazing and even the cheapish 400mm f5.6 I bought has surprised me with the quality of images. It is easier to use straight off, it all seems so logical, and even some criticism I seen about the high ISO noise is overdone. Strangely Canon noise is easier to correct than Olympus in Lightroom!

So horses for courses!

David

brian1208
4th October 2012, 07:25 AM
canon 7D, principally for bird photography, and I won't ever knock Canon again. It's capability is amazing and even the cheapish 400mm f5.6 I bought has surprised me with the quality of images

As an ex-canoneer I couldn't agree more, my only reason for converting to EM-5 was weight as increasing age and infirmity made carting my bag of canon gear about then hand-holding it for hours was becoming impossible for me

As it is, the EM-5 system is a compromise if only a minor one but I really miss the canon system when shooting birds in flight

No regrets though

Zuiko
4th October 2012, 03:36 PM
Can't seem to set it up to show last image taken on the rear screen

Menu > Spanner Symbol (Setup Menu) > Rec View > currently set to "Off" > use up arrow button to adjust display time between 0.3 and 20 seconds or use down arrow button to select "Auto."

If you select a display time the latest image taken will display for that amount of time either in the viewfinder or on the rear screen, depending on how you was viewing when you took the picture. The display cancels sooner than the specified time if you half press the shutter button or move the camera away from your eye or to your eye.

Things are a bit different if you select Auto. In this mode, if you took the picture viewing through the EVF it will display in the EVF for about 2 seconds, then appear on the rear screen. It will then clear if you half press the shutter, lift the EVF back to your eye, or after 20 seconds if left alone. If you took the picture using the rear screen it will display immediately on the screen, until one of the actions described in the previous sentence occurs.

Using the Record View display does slow the camera down in sequential shooting, so it's best turned off for this.

Hope this helps.

Ross the fiddler
5th October 2012, 12:44 AM
Sometimes we can learn something new everyday. I probably read about the Auto Review but never tried it (& consequently forgot about it). It doesn't seem to slow down sequential shooting when on (compared to off), from what I could tell. :confused:

Zuiko
5th October 2012, 06:31 AM
Sometimes we can learn something new everyday. I probably read about the Auto Review but never tried it (& consequently forgot about it). It doesn't seem to slow down sequential shooting when on (compared to off), from what I could tell. :confused:

Probably just my perception. :)

CJJE
5th October 2012, 10:03 AM
Life is full of compromises...

I used to have a succession of Canon EOS film cameras (EOS10, then EOS5, then EOS3) and a Mamiya 645 medium format outfit for "serious" camera club photos. But I gradually converted to digital and sold off my Mamiya kit and the Billingham case I needed to lug it around. After going down the Canon G3, then EOS10D, EOS20D, EOS40D route, I've now cut back to my Olympus outfit. If I wanted top quality I'd need a digital medium format outfit (and a bank balance to match!) As it is, the portability of my OLympus outfit means I'm far more likely to have a camera and the right lenses with me when I need them! ;)

Weldingblues
5th October 2012, 10:26 PM
Life is full of compromises...
As it is, the portability of my Olympus outfit means I'm far more likely to have a camera and the right lenses with me when I need them! ;)

I agree with the above comment, because of problems with my neck and back, I sold my heavy kit and now can carry my kit all day with no problems.

Zuiko
5th October 2012, 10:42 PM
Whatever camera system you choose, there will almost certainly be a compromise involved somewhere. Even though the sensor in the E-M5 is vastly superior to the one in my E-3, I would still be happily using the E-3 were it not for it's weight and bulk, or my declining health and fitness. I really love that camera and it's given me some great pictures over the years.

David Morison
6th October 2012, 09:00 AM
As it is, the EM-5 system is a compromise if only a minor one but I really miss the canon system when shooting birds in flight

Although I have the Canon outfit for birds I am still not willing to let the problems of BIF with the E-M5 beat me. I'm trying all sorts of combinations of AF area and mode to try and get something workable. This mainly because I need the E-M5 and lenses for travel as I often go cabin baggage only. One thing that puzzles me greatly and really presents a brick wall for me - is when I have the AF area set to all points and direct it towards a black bird against a clear blue sky it chooses a point in the sky! I thought this was supposed to be Contrast Detect, what is so contrasty about a clear uninterrupted stretch of blue sky as opposed to a black bird against a light background?

So that's it! It has beaten me and I don't any longer understand what is going on - anyone got any ideas?

The trouble is that at the moment, when I am out for the day in the country I have to carry both E-M5 and Canon outfits, a right bind. If I go solely to Canon I will miss the portability and high ISO/low noise attributes of the Olympus plus the excellent lenses I use on it. So there we are, I just have to carry on with the burden at home and miss out on BIF while on holiday!

David

brian1208
6th October 2012, 09:33 AM
As I said, having disposed of all my canon kit I too have been struggling to find a way of shooting my beloved BIFs with the EM5 + 75-300. I'm slowly getting there and here are my best solutions so far:

- EVF only with the Live View Boost on and image review off (I find this helps with acquiring the bird in the first place)

- I use SAF rather than CAF (can't get that to work) with single point focus most of the time and occasionally 3x3 box

- single shot or 4fps

- f8 with shutter speed above 1/640th (> 1/1000th whenever possible)

- IS1 for the bulk of my work, except where the birds are tracking across the sky very fast, then IS2

- once I have acquired the bird in the EVF I half-press the shutter button to get focus, then keep rapidly half-pressing as I track the bird to the point I want it, then full press to get the shots(s)

- I find that with birds that fill >30% of frame with good contrast and good light I am now able to get consistent "keepers" (probably toward the 50%+)

- smaller than this and against a bland sky with low contrast is just about impossible for me, unless I manual focus

I did a write up of some of this + some example pics for another site here: http://www.ephotozine.com/forums/topic/olympus-om-d-em-5-discussion-95570/p-160

I hope this may be of some help (but suspect you may have gone this route already?)

I am finding that the more I persevere the easier it is becoming

SteffB
6th October 2012, 08:16 PM
Just got myself one of these babies... Find the menus a bit different to what im used to.... Suppose thats why they give you manuals.... Lol

Anyway so far... So good.