PDA

View Full Version : ED 14-35mm f2 SWD

bredman
2nd October 2012, 03:37 PM
Hi all. Has anyone tried this lens on the OM-D? There seems to be issues with some of the SHG lenses on any given m4/3 body. Any comment welcome :).

Thanks

Ian
2nd October 2012, 04:17 PM
Basically the SWD focus system used in some of these lenses does not work reliably in live view focus mode. I can work perfectly but I find that in a small proportion of AF actions the confirmed focus is clearly not in focus so you need to repeat the AF. Apart from that you will get normal exposure and info data communication between lens and body. C-AF is not supported for Four Thirds lenses and Micro Four Thirds bodies.

Ian

David Morison
2nd October 2012, 04:19 PM
The only 4/3 lenses I bother trying to use now on the E-M5 are the Leica 14-150mm (configured for CDAF), the ED7-14mm and the Lensbaby Scout. Had so much frustration and missed opportunities with the others that I have given up!

David

bredman
2nd October 2012, 06:05 PM
@ Ian -- Thanks for the useful info. *chr

The only 4/3 lenses I bother trying to use now on the E-M5 are the Leica 14-150mm (configured for CDAF), the ED7-14mm and the Lensbaby Scout. Had so much frustration and missed opportunities with the others that I have given up!

David

I'm not familiar at all with the 4/3 series of lenses. Would i be right in saying the ED7-14mm that you quote is the same series as the 14-35mm f2? If so, what i would like to know is -- will the ED14-35mm f2 perform (competently) well on the OM-D like the ED7-14mm, or more like the ED300mm f2.8, which has caused you so much trouble? I ask this as i get the impression that it's an unpredictable issue across different body models and lenses.

Naturally i'd like to stick one on my OM-D, but i live in the styx and i'm just on a recon mission. :)

Ian
2nd October 2012, 06:36 PM
The 14-35 will take stunning photos in the right hands when fitted to an E-M5. It will be more challenging to use because of the well-documented AF issue, but it will take great pictures if you know what you're doing.

Ian

bredman
2nd October 2012, 11:16 PM
Thanks again Ian. As a minimalist photographer (almost everything i shoot is on long 10+ mile walks and handheld, and often with little time) i'm looking for convenience with those factors in mind. But i do want to push up the image quality a level or two from the kit lens. I shall research those "well documented AF issues" though, as well as look at other options for a 'best possible' standard zoom.

Gwyver
3rd October 2012, 06:39 AM
Thanks again Ian. As a minimalist photographer (almost everything i shoot is on long 10+ mile walks and handheld, and often with little time) i'm looking for convenience with those factors in mind. But i do want to push up the image quality a level or two from the kit lens. I shall research those "well documented AF issues" though, as well as look at other options for a 'best possible' standard zoom.

Pete,
Have you considered using the Olympus FT 12~60SWD with an MMF-3 adaptor?
This combination is weatherproof (which is handy assuming you don't just walk on cloudless days) and the IQ is excellent.
Although the AF isn't quick, it is very usable and achieves lock pretty much all the time, though the noise made by the SWD motor during focussing is rather unsettling.

David Morison
3rd October 2012, 07:14 AM
@ Ian -- Thanks for the useful info. *chr

I'm not familiar at all with the 4/3 series of lenses. Would i be right in saying the ED7-14mm that you quote is the same series as the 14-35mm f2? If so, what i would like to know is -- will the ED14-35mm f2 perform (competently) well on the OM-D like the ED7-14mm, or more like the ED300mm f2.8, which has caused you so much trouble? I ask this as i get the impression that it's an unpredictable issue across different body models and lenses.

Naturally i'd like to stick one on my OM-D, but i live in the styx and i'm just on a recon mission. :)

I don't know about the 14-35mm but the 7-14 works even if a bit slow, with no inaccurate focus issues. It even works Ok on live view if you don't mind waiting a little longer and hasn't been inaccurate so far. The Leica 14-150mm is excellent with accurate Af that may be a little (milliseconds) slower than with the E5 but is never a problem even for moving subjects - insects/birds.

David

JohnF
3rd October 2012, 07:34 AM
My 12-60 works fine on my EPL1, just the usual CDAF problems...

benvendetta
3rd October 2012, 12:30 PM
My 12-60 works fine on my EPL1, just the usual CDAF problems...

That combo works well for me but I get lots of edge distortion/fuzziness using my 7-14 4/3 lens. Unusable for me.

bredman
3rd October 2012, 03:23 PM
Pete,
Have you considered using the Olympus FT 12~60SWD with an MMF-3 adaptor?
This combination is weatherproof (which is handy assuming you don't just walk on cloudless days) and the IQ is excellent.
Although the AF isn't quick, it is very usable and achieves lock pretty much all the time, though the noise made by the SWD motor during focussing is rather unsettling.

Hi Chris, yes that is on my 'short list' too. I have much sorting to do in terms of gear.

bredman
3rd October 2012, 03:29 PM
I don't know about the 14-35mm but the 7-14 works even if a bit slow, with no inaccurate focus issues. It even works Ok on live view if you don't mind waiting a little longer and hasn't been inaccurate so far. The Leica 14-150mm is excellent with accurate Af that may be a little (milliseconds) slower than with the E5 but is never a problem even for moving subjects - insects/birds.

David

Thanks for that David, interesting. That Leica super zoom is the current front runner as a full time lens for my OMD. I shall investigate all possibilities. I'm still hoping someone has used the 14-35 on the OMD. It would be interesting as your experiences with the 7-14mm and the 300mm are poles apart.

Gwyver
3rd October 2012, 04:27 PM
Thanks for that David, interesting. That Leica super zoom is the current front runner as a full time lens for my OMD. I shall investigate all possibilities. I'm still hoping someone has used the 14-35 on the OMD. It would be interesting as your experiences with the 7-14mm and the 300mm are poles apart.

Pete,
Just to confirm David's report that the 4/3 Panasonic Leica 14~150 works very well on the EM-5. However, it isn't weatherproof, and also has a tendency to show chromatic aberration on high contrast edges - though you can usually minimise this in Lightroom or similar. In my experience, for landscapes the Pan-Leica 14~150 isn't quite as sharp as the 12~60 SWD.

bredman
3rd October 2012, 04:38 PM
Pete,
Just to confirm David's report that the 4/3 Panasonic Leica 14~150 works very well on the EM-5. However, it isn't weatherproof, and also has a tendency to show chromatic aberration on high contrast edges - though you can usually minimise this in Lightroom or similar. In my experience, for landscapes the Pan-Leica 14~150 isn't quite as sharp as the 12~60 SWD.

Yes i have come across discussions on Panasonic lenses on Oly bodies and CA. I'll be getting Lightroom 4.1 very soon i think. Much to think about. As for weatherproofing, i may yet hold onto the kit lens, or may not (i'll be getting the 60mm macro). :confused:

I'll start a thread quite soon i reckon.