PDA

View Full Version : EP2-Situation - It does not work!

johnwb
2nd October 2012, 02:01 PM
Help!!!!!

I am looking for resoluutions. I have not used my EP2 for a few weeks, took it out of the camera bag yesterday and it failed to switch on. I checked the battery within a second Pen camera - battery fine. I cleaned all the contacts, battery and camera, re-inserted the 1st battery, but no response when tried. I have now proceeded tp load the EP2 with a newer fully charged 2nd battery - again no response. The camera remained dormant, no lights, no response at all.

The camera is in good condition, some usage marks around the usual bits. It has not been knocked or dropped or mis-used.

Does anyone have any suggestions, have any comments at all, or will I need to return it to Olympus servicing for the expensive remedy?

Regards
John WB

Ulfric M Douglas
2nd October 2012, 05:32 PM
Hit it with something.

Zuiko
2nd October 2012, 05:48 PM
Help!!!!!

I am looking for resoluutions. I have not used my EP2 for a few weeks, took it out of the camera bag yesterday and it failed to switch on. I checked the battery within a second Pen camera - battery fine. I cleaned all the contacts, battery and camera, re-inserted the 1st battery, but no response when tried. I have now proceeded tp load the EP2 with a newer fully charged 2nd battery - again no response. The camera remained dormant, no lights, no response at all.

The camera is in good condition, some usage marks around the usual bits. It has not been knocked or dropped or mis-used.

Does anyone have any suggestions, have any comments at all, or will I need to return it to Olympus servicing for the expensive remedy?

Regards
John WB

Sorry, I can't really think of any useful suggestions. Perhaps try to speak to the Olympus technical dept before you send it off, to see if they have a possible remedy you can try.

peak4
2nd October 2012, 10:24 PM
Just had exactly the same, the day before we few to Albania for a holiday. I eventually just kept using the on/off button until it worked. Still seems OK now: we're still here wandering around.
Good luck

johnwb
3rd October 2012, 08:27 AM
Ulfric, John and Bill

I am busy trying your suggestions.

Ulfric - suggesting 'I flog a dead horse'?
John - your suggestion of seeking advice of a technician at Olympus first.
Bill - Using the on/off button many times.

No response yet, but hopefull. All resolutions being attempted. Thank you for your replies.

Regards
John WB

Ian
3rd October 2012, 09:12 AM
I would try keeping the power button pressed for say 30-40 seconds - maybe something will happen.

Alternatively, remove the battery and leave for a few days until residual charge has gone and then try to power-up.

Ian

johnwb
3rd October 2012, 02:40 PM
Hi Ian

Thank you for the suggestions.

No 1 - Apart from the aching finger - no joy!
No 2 - I will leave the battery out for the next few days. I will charge the two batteries I have and try again, one at a time

I do not have 'problems' but situations which need to be resolved. That sounds positive!

Thank you all for the help to those others who have replied.

Regards
John WB

johnwb
5th October 2012, 04:38 PM
Ulfric, John, Bill and Ian

EP-2 Situation remains the same after trying all suggestions. No initialisation when activating the on-off button. My last action was to contact Olympus who suggested I send the camera in and they will inspect it, clean it, revive it at the cost of 177 plus my cost of postage to them. This is the standard price for the type of service above for this camera body to bring it back into working order.

I am not sure I wish to incur this sort of charge for the camera body, when a new EPM-1 plus two lens is being offered by Jessops at the price of 300. Decisions, decisions, decisions?

But thank you for your concern and the suggestions. I have tried all the actions suggested but to no avail. I appreciate that you all tried to help me as forum members.

My very best regards to you all.

John WB

Wally
5th October 2012, 05:40 PM
Just a thought, have you tried asking if they have any refurbished models??? Asking around, it seems some firms advertise on eBay returned/refurbished goods. You may have to bid on them but they do apparently, come with warranty. Has to be worth a shufti?

StephenL
5th October 2012, 05:44 PM
Have you asked a third-party repairer? They may be cheaper! Otherwise, sell it for spares.