PDA

View Full Version : E-M5 Firmware 1.5

PeteBoo
2nd October 2012, 07:59 AM
Latest update is now out. First it updates to 1.4 and then you have to do it again to 1.5.
Just done mine an all OK
For info.
http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/software/firm/omd/em5.html

brian1208
2nd October 2012, 08:09 AM
Ditto, I quite miss the "Hum" :)

(but maybe it will save some battery power?)

StephenL
2nd October 2012, 08:15 AM
Thanks for this. Mine took 8 minutes all-in, in two steps, from v1.2 to v1.5.

andym
2nd October 2012, 08:18 AM
Did it reset your settings back to default?

StephenL
2nd October 2012, 08:23 AM
Did it reset your settings back to default?

Doesn't seem to have. The hum is now more pronounced, but only sounds when I half-press the shutter. Otherwise the camera is silent.

andym
2nd October 2012, 08:27 AM
Doesn't seem to have. The hum is now more pronounced, but only sounds when I half-press the shutter. Otherwise the camera is silent.

Thanks

As said above it may save some battery power(I hope).I'll still hold off for a couple of weeks though.

Greytop
2nd October 2012, 08:39 AM
Same experience as Stephen, settings appear to be intact, camera is now quiet until shutter half press.
However I would say my E-M5's 'hum' seems about the same as it was before the update.

GRAHAMJ
2nd October 2012, 08:40 AM
Just updated mine as stated, first to 1.4 then to 1.5. No problems, and the hum is gone till you press the shutter........

Graham

StephenL
2nd October 2012, 12:02 PM
However I would say my E-M5's 'hum' seems about the same as it was before the update.
Perhaps my angels have been replaced by heavy breathers ;)

jdal
2nd October 2012, 12:21 PM
Very strange. Hum is quieter, but pressing the shutter doesn't make any difference.

I already had 1.2 installed, so went 1.4/1.5 in the two update steps. Shutter half way/IBIS setting doesn't make a difference.

Greytop
2nd October 2012, 12:41 PM
John, do you have your E-M5 set-up such that the EVF shows the image stabilised view on half shutter press? If not that could be the reason.

jdal
2nd October 2012, 12:49 PM
John, do you have your E-M5 set-up such that the EVF shows the image stabilised view on half shutter press? If not that could be the reason.

Tried it both ways, assuming that's "Custom Menu/Release/Half Way Rls With IS"

bredman
2nd October 2012, 01:17 PM
As others have noted, mine is also silent unless shutter is pressed halfway, when it 'seems' slightly louder than before. As before, a painless operation. :)

brian1208
2nd October 2012, 01:43 PM
I've just run a few test shots, the IBIS seems to work fine without the hum (until half-press)
No other obvious changes spotted yet

jdal
2nd October 2012, 01:49 PM
<---------------Entire post about decibels and sound measuring deleted------------------->

I see the same results as everyone else now. It helps if you switch IS on. :o:o:o:o:o

This may well save battery life a little.

CJJE
2nd October 2012, 03:07 PM
I was a bit concerned about the complexity of the various updates, and knowing how to choose which ones to install, but in the event the Updater sorted it all out (once I'd realised I needed to press OK to connect the camera to my PC!) I was on v1.2, and the updater told me to install v1.4. When that was loaded I had to disconnect my camera rather than say continue, and it then told me to isntall v1.5. All seems well, and as others have reported the camera is silent until I half-press the shutter to start up the IS.

Gwyver
2nd October 2012, 03:46 PM
Latest update is now out. First it updates to 1.4 and then you have to do it again to 1.5.

Pete,
I've just updated mine. It was at v1.1 - first update took it to v1.3, the second went to v1.5.

Thanks for this. Mine took 8 minutes all-in, in two steps, from v1.2 to v1.5.

Stephen,
You must have a direct line to Olympus!

Even though I've got a speedy PC and a decent broadband connection, each update step took approx 25 minutes :mad:
It requires nerves of steel and unless you have absolute faith in the in the Olympus Camera Updater's display and rotating dial, the only way to check that anything is happening is to start the Windows Task Manager and observe that there is some traffic on your LAN (Broadband) connection and that the memory usage for the CameraUpdater(x32) process is increasing at a slow and steady rate.

David Morison
2nd October 2012, 04:10 PM
<---------------Entire post about decibels and sound measuring deleted------------------->

I see the same results as everyone else now. It helps if you switch IS on. :o:o:o:o:o

Ha!Ha! made the same mistake myself as I had a PanaLeica fitted with OIS on and IBIS off. I always surprise myself with how little I've learnt considering how long I've lived!

David

Zuiko
2nd October 2012, 04:37 PM
Hmmm, I think I liked it better when there wasn't an update available. Now I have to decide if this update is really worth the risk; if it's just a question of subduing the hum, am I bovvered? On the other hand, if I don't update now will it make things even more difficult and complicated if a future update really is worth having? :(

StephenL
2nd October 2012, 05:01 PM
Stephen,
You must have a direct line to Olympus!

Even though I've got a speedy PC and a decent broadband connection, each update step took approx 25 minutes :mad:
It requires nerves of steel and unless you have absolute faith in the in the Olympus Camera Updater's display and rotating dial, the only way to check that anything is happening is to start the Windows Task Manager and observe that there is some traffic on your LAN (Broadband) connection and that the memory usage for the CameraUpdater(x32) process is increasing at a slow and steady rate.

I've got a relatively slow connection of 3.4 Mbps. But I did it first thing this morning, before America woke up! The limiting factor PC-wise is that Olympus only use USB 2.0, which is the bottleneck.

StephenL
2nd October 2012, 05:02 PM
Hmmm, I think I liked it better when there wasn't an update available. Now I have to decide if this update is really worth the risk; if it's just a question of subduing the hum, am I bovvered? On the other hand, if I don't update now will it make things even more difficult and complicated if a future update really is worth having? :(

I reckon that a) battery life will be improved by slowing down the Iron Lung used by the Pixies, and b) Olympus (and all other manufacturers) include "fixes" which they don't tell us about.

Gwyver
2nd October 2012, 08:15 PM

John,
I don't think there is much of a risk (of the update not completing) - so long as you are patient.
Much more relevant than the hum reduction (if any) if the noticeable improvement in the speed with which the EVF wakes up when you put the camera up to your eye. I think this is a real benefit of doing the update.

Zuiko
2nd October 2012, 08:24 PM
John,
I don't think there is much of a risk (of the update not completing) - so long as you are patient.
Much more relevant than the hum reduction (if any) if the noticeable improvement in the speed with which the EVF wakes up when you put the camera up to your eye. I think this is a real benefit of doing the update.

Thanks Chris, perhaps I'll leave it a week to see if any problems are reported and then try it.

brian1208
2nd October 2012, 09:23 PM
from some very preliminary testing (30+ images) I'm getting the impression that I'm seeing consistently better sharpness straight out of the camera (that includes a shot of one very specific focus testing structure that I have used to test the sharpness of all my camera / lens bodies since my 300D days. The result from this exceeds anything I seen so far with the EM-5 + 75-300 and is on a par with or better than I was getting with my 5Dmk2 + 70-300 LIS.

Much more testing needed before this is anything more than an indication though

I'll be interested to hear if anyone else is seeing this (or indeed if you aren't seeing any change)

snaarman
2nd October 2012, 09:48 PM
Phew! My 2 stage update (1.4 then 1.5) is complete. Now all I can hear is Elves going on holiday.

Ross the fiddler
3rd October 2012, 12:52 AM
Thanks

As said above it may save some battery power(I hope).I'll still hold off for a couple of weeks though.

Thanks Chris, perhaps I'll leave it a week to see if any problems are reported and then try it.

You're both chickens! :p I've just done mine & it is now nice to be able to be able to review my photos without the sound of the IBIS when in a quite situation. It doesn't take long & so long as patience, freshly charged battery (I also removed the memory card) & connections are all good, then it all goes well. It goes through it's rotating dots display while downloading to the computer & that takes the longest (it might just reflect the slowness of my internet) & then the 'don't touch' & 'don't disconnet' symbols show on the camera & computer while the camera is being updated (which is fairly quick) finishing with an OK on the camera. After that, relief & pleasure with the results.

I'm not sure, but maybe there is a slight delay to the EVF coming on to eliminate unintentional switching to the EVF such as waving the hand while reviewing the photos etc. & using the touch screen. The deep eyecup helps to reduce that accidental change too.

Ross the fiddler
3rd October 2012, 12:56 AM
Phew! My 2 stage update (1.4 then 1.5) is complete. Now all I can hear is Elves going on holiday.

You've got to stop smoking that funny stuff, ;) then you might see pixies in the view finder instead. :D

Zuiko
3rd October 2012, 05:20 AM
You've got to stop smoking that funny stuff, ;) then you might see pixies in the view finder instead. :D

Should that be pixels? :D

Zuiko
3rd October 2012, 05:34 AM
You're both chickens! :p I've just done mine & it is now nice to be able to be able to review my photos without the sound of the IBIS when in a quite situation. It doesn't take long & so long as patience, freshly charged battery (I also removed the memory card) & connections are all good, then it all goes well. It goes through it's rotating dots display while downloading to the computer & that takes the longest (it might just reflect the slowness of my internet) & then the 'don't touch' & 'don't disconnet' symbols show on the camera & computer while the camera is being updated (which is fairly quick) finishing with an OK on the camera. After that, relief & pleasure with the results.

I'm not sure, but maybe there is a slight delay to the EVF coming on to eliminate unintentional switching to the EVF such as waving the hand while reviewing the photos etc. & using the touch screen. The deep eyecup helps to reduce that accidental change too.

Squawk! Cluck, cluck, cluck! In this area there is always the risk of a power cut, plus my computer is prone to freezing. It's like playing Russian Roulette! Why can't Olympus join the rest of the civilized world and download firmware onto cards?

On the plus side, I've checked my camera and it is already on v.1.2. :D From what I've read v.1.5 only adds IBIS to legacy lenses in video mode and since Hell is likely to freeze before my E-M5 records any video I think I can forget about this one! The biggest advantage of video to me is that it gave me one more button to customize for something else. :D

Ross the fiddler
3rd October 2012, 07:33 AM
Squawk! Cluck, cluck, cluck! In this area there is always the risk of a power cut, plus my computer is prone to freezing. It's like playing Russian Roulette! Why can't Olympus join the rest of the civilized world and download firmware onto cards?

On the plus side, I've checked my camera and it is already on v.1.2. :D From what I've read v.1.5 only adds IBIS to legacy lenses in video mode and since Hell is likely to freeze before my E-M5 records any video I think I can forget about this one! The biggest advantage of video to me is that it gave me one more button to customize for something else. :D

I guess if anybody has a hearing problem, then the small noise from the IBIS wouldn't be heard anyhow. ;) On the otherhand, I need to double check the camera is on now I can't hear it (in standby).

snaarman
3rd October 2012, 08:09 AM
Squawk! Cluck, cluck, cluck! :D

No, I think you are right: Care is needed, if this goes really wrong you can end up with no camera at all.

However, I think the Oly updater is carefully thought out. I think most of the time is spent downloading and checking the new code from Japan to your computer. The download from computer to camera takes two fretful minutes.

I do take issue with the on screen instructions at that point. If you don't read them carefully you can easily click the "Next" button when you are in fact supposed to wait for the camera to finish.

Anyway, my update went well last night* and if the elves' holiday saves me batteries then I will be well pleased.

Pete

*I did have a shouty moment. I thought my wife was about to switch our Ethernet box off part way through the process :eek:

OM USer
3rd October 2012, 11:13 AM
Just finished 1.2 -> 1.4 -> 1.5.
Took 18 minutes start to finish.
Humm much quieter when you turn the camera on but louder than it was once you half press the shutter button (IS on half press). Those elves are really grumpy when you wake them up. On balance I preferred it as it was.
I don't do much video but I do do some so the IBIS for video on OM legacy lenses is welcome.

StephenL
3rd October 2012, 11:35 AM

Really, Pete! They're not ELVES! They're PIXIES! Who else do you think makes PIXELS??

ayewing
3rd October 2012, 12:54 PM
I guess if anybody has a hearing problem, then the small noise from the IBIS wouldn't be heard anyhow. ;) On the otherhand, I need to double check the camera is on now I can't hear it (in standby).

Ross, you are absolutely right. I have never understood what all this fuss about noisy elves signified. I could not hear the buzzing unless I turned up the volume on my hearing aids and held the camera to my ear.

I have done the upgrade as it is usually best to use the current firmware. Olympus has a different way of doing things but it seems to work ok. I do not know why it has to be done as a two stage process. Usually the latest firmware incorporates the cumulative improvements of the previous versions so it can be done as a single update.

Ross the fiddler
3rd October 2012, 01:51 PM
Ross, you are absolutely right. I have never understood what all this fuss about noisy elves signified. I could not hear the buzzing unless I turned up the volume on my hearing aids and held the camera to my ear.

I have done the upgrade as it is usually best to use the current firmware. Olympus has a different way of doing things but it seems to work ok. I do not know why it has to be done as a two stage process. Usually the latest firmware incorporates the cumulative improvements of the previous versions so it can be done as a single update.

I've not needed a hearing aid (yet), but I'm sure my hearing isn't what it is supposed to be (with all the loud music I've listened to when I was young), but for those with perfect hearing, the sound is (was) fairly noticable in quiet rooms & this update is welcome. I assume they are running the stabiliser during standby at the same level (or frequency) as it is for video. It makes sense to only apply the full amount when needed when there is another option. Hopefully there will be some power saving (even if very small) from this change.

Now, back to the pixies.... ;)

jdal
3rd October 2012, 01:55 PM
...I do not know why it has to be done as a two stage process. Usually the latest firmware incorporates the cumulative improvements of the previous versions so it can be done as a single update.

I assumed the first bit was to improve the camera side of the update process first, since some were getting bricked cameras.

wellyboot
3rd October 2012, 02:33 PM
Just done the upgrade, and the hum is still there:(
Definitely 1.5 now on the OMD, so why do I still have the hum??
Anyone else found this?
Many thanks
Marcia

StephenL
3rd October 2012, 02:51 PM
There is still a very faint hum when switched on but not working, but the volume increases quite a bit when you press the shutter.

Alpha1
3rd October 2012, 02:56 PM
I have looked at the updater download site via Olympus UK and note that it only shows v-1.2 which I already have. I have registered my camera but have never received any communication that v-1.5 is ready to download! Fujifilm UK always do this.

I am assuming therefore that when the updater "see's" my em-5, it will automatically update to 1.4 then 1.5 as described above?

I just wanted to check this before connecting my camera to the computer! ;)

StephenL
3rd October 2012, 03:09 PM
Olympus don't notify you.

You are correct in your description of the update process.

When you first connect the camera to your computer, on the camera screen will be a prompt asking if you want to use Storage mode. Press OK to this. Updater will then offer you the first body update, which is to v1.4. Complete this, and ONLY disconnect the USB cable when the CAMERA says OK. Repeat the process to get v1.5.

Alpha1
4th October 2012, 06:59 AM
Thank you Stephen, it's always worth checking and proves the real value of user forums in my view.

cariadus
4th October 2012, 10:10 AM
Really, Pete! They're not ELVES! They're PIXIES! Who else do you think makes PIXELS??

I thought it was the sound of the sea - like holding a shell to your ear. :)

snaarman
4th October 2012, 10:27 AM

Elves, Pixies.... They could be imps. It's been done before. Look: http://wiki.lspace.org/wiki/Iconograph

dko22
4th October 2012, 12:22 PM
I've managed to update mine as well. I assumed that you just pressed OK when first connecting the camera and it says "storage" -not entirely obvious! And then there is the real terror when the actual update occurs and just must only press "next" when OK appears. While the update process is actually taking place, which shouldn't take more than a minute, the "Next" button should definitely be disabled -didn't looked like it was. And on the final screen it tells you to disconnect the camera and then in the next paragraph, gives you the option to "continue updating". If you disconnect then you obviously can't continue updating --I tried just continue updating without disconnecting and it said the camera wasn't recognised. Fortunately you can't really do any damage at this stage, it's just a bit daft.

Overall, if you're aware of this only press Next when OK on camera, it's actually pretty straightforward. The update clearly says which version it's updating to first --in my case 1.3 -- so that shouldn't really cause a tirade of complaints.

Noise. When I switched on, completely silent it seemed and then with the half press quite a noise. Next time I switched on half press a bit less. Then after a while the background without half press seemed a little louder. Before i had to put it right up to my ear to hear anything and afterwards it was borderline audible with nose to EVF. Quite clearly the noise varies even without changing the settings and with different settings, things probably change. It's really a non-issue. Overall give the new version a modest plus. More interesting is if C-AF tracking is better (than 1.1) and some early reports of better IS/AF performance with long lenses such as the 75-300 are better. This could be big for me. IS with legacy lens video is welcomed but I probably won't use much.

David

StephenL
4th October 2012, 01:28 PM
Whilst I am happy with, and well accustomed to, the firmware updating process, some thought should be given to making the descriptions clearer. And it would be comforting to have at least a "downloading" message on the screen, instead of just a blank one, and perhaps a progress indicator wouldn't be too much trouble?

dko22
4th October 2012, 02:22 PM
yes, I agree entirely. The actual firmware updating process is actually quite good. The problem is the clarity of some of the instructions on the software and the lack of anything useful on the camera itself. I guess once you've done it once (this was my first Olympus firmware update as far as I can remember), it becomes straightforward enough.

Whilst I am happy with, and well accustomed to, the firmware updating process, some thought should be given to making the descriptions clearer. And it would be comforting to have at least a "downloading" message on the screen, instead of just a blank one, and perhaps a progress indicator wouldn't be too much trouble?

dko22
5th October 2012, 09:30 AM

Perhaps you should have kept the post about decibels so I would have been sure to read it properly. Switched on this morning. Half press, no noise, wonderful. Until I noticed IS Off.......:o

C-AF tracking gives a clear impression of being better than 1.1 though why I'm bothered I don't know as I almost never used it with the D700 so why start now.

David

Ian
5th October 2012, 09:53 AM
I've got a relatively slow connection of 3.4 Mbps. But I did it first thing this morning, before America woke up! The limiting factor PC-wise is that Olympus only use USB 2.0, which is the bottleneck.

I doubt it's the USB connection. Even if the update was 100MB (which I very much doubt), USB2 will transfer that in 4-5 seconds. Your broadband is much slower than your USB. :)

Ian

StephenL
5th October 2012, 10:03 AM
I doubt it's the USB connection. Even if the update was 100MB (which I very much doubt), USB2 will transfer that in 4-5 seconds. Your broadband is much slower than your USB. :)

Ian

True! I had naively presumed that, as it took so long for the download stage, it was a large file, and I hadn't thought it through! :o

jamsa
5th October 2012, 05:50 PM
I did the last update with no problems ie 1.2 now though I have a blank camera screen and a pc screen window that says "Updating the firmware do not disconnect the camera until the update is complete" but now it's been 40 minutes and no change!! what the heck do i do now?
UPDATE:45 minutes to do update to 1.4 and now its on the second one 1.5 takes longer than I expected..and I am on broadband.

SteffB
6th October 2012, 08:20 PM
Ran the update earlier this week.... Seems quite straight forward in comparison to other cameras ive owned.... Where always seems you have to copy files over to memory cards...etc.

Alpha1
14th October 2012, 03:09 PM
I have only just updated my OMD as I noted the upgrade on the eve of going on holiday and I didn't want to risk getting it wrong at such short notice! (My first Oly firmware update, usually just download to card and then load it into the camera)

Once I had established that I was using the correct USB cable, as I have a drawer full of them never used from different cameras, it was fairly straight forward, if rather slow. However this was mainly having to do it in stages probably.

I haven'y spotted any significant improvement apart from the missing "hum" but time will tell.

drmarkf
18th October 2012, 05:12 AM
I have only just updated my OMD as I noted the upgrade on the eve of going on holiday and I didn't want to risk getting it wrong at such short notice! .

Me likewise - I'm back tomorrow so will update this w/e.

I've had a couple of lockups and 2 EVF blank-outs while away, but otherwise no issues in nearly 2000 frames of communion with the elves. I'm on v1.2, so I'm interested to see if the update cures these occasional electronic glitches.

The lockups all happened while the camera was sleeping between uses and 2 were cured immediately by a power-off and -on, while one seemed to need a battery removal and replacement.

The EVF blanks both happened during a very hot desert hike (35 Centigrade plus) and also responded to powering off and back on again. Has anyone else had anything like that? The screen wasn't completely dark, but had a faint blue glow.

Ross the fiddler
18th October 2012, 08:17 AM
I had my first lock up (after the update) since I got it at the end of June when using the camera in light rain & changing the focus mode (from the 'record' button programmed for it). I had to come inside to remove the battery, but it was fine afterwards. Later I was taking photos of the snow that came home on my wifes car (from the upper Blue Mountains last Friday) & after having a 'micro' snow fight, I noticed the EVF was on & white while the monitor was displaying the live view. Switching off & on cleared it OK. That's the first of any issues I've had & I'm not concerned. If there are any continuing issues, then I'm sure Olympus will solve them in the future.

I do like the change with the IBIS noise situation, not that it was much to take issue over but I haven't tried the IBIS for my OM 50mm lens in video yet.

I'm pleased with my E-M5 & look forward to adding more M4/3's lenses to my kit.