PDA

View Full Version : Panny 12-35mm f2.8 vs PanLeica 14-50mm f2.8-3.5

s4ean
1st October 2012, 10:43 PM
So as I go back and forth with this dilemma of whether or not to change systems, an interesting question came to mind. How does the 12-35mm compare to the original 14-50mm four thirds mount? My biggest issues with the E-M5 have always been size (paired with the 35-100mm f2, etc), and autofocus. The GH3 may very well have eliminated the size issue and may prove to be on par with the E-M5 in terms of image quality. However, the fact that it lacks in body stabilization has me thinking about my 14-50mm.

With regards to autofocus, I'm primarily a portrait photographer and think I could get away with it for a while, except for the rare wedding/event or when shooting sports. So the questions here are, how do the two compare in terms sharpness, bokeh, effectiveness of the IS systems, and the way the two render images in general. How much suffering can I look forward to focusing with the 14-50mm? Stands to reason I could save a good deal if I can live with it rather than purchasing the 12-35mm... I figured with them both coming from Panny (one bearing the Leica name), there might be a good comparison here.

Anyone happen to have experience with the two?

Howi
2nd October 2012, 10:36 AM
So as I go back and forth with this dilemma of whether or not to change systems, an interesting question came to mind. How does the 12-35mm compare to the original 14-50mm four thirds mount? My biggest issues with the E-M5 have always been size (paired with the 35-100mm f2, etc), and autofocus. The GH3 may very well have eliminated the size issue and may prove to be on par with the E-M5 in terms of image quality. However, the fact that it lacks in body stabilization has me thinking about my 14-50mm.

With regards to autofocus, I'm primarily a portrait photographer and think I could get away with it for a while, except for the rare wedding/event or when shooting sports. So the questions here are, how do the two compare in terms sharpness, bokeh, effectiveness of the IS systems, and the way the two render images in general. How much suffering can I look forward to focusing with the 14-50mm? Stands to reason I could save a good deal if I can live with it rather than purchasing the 12-35mm... I figured with them both coming from Panny (one bearing the Leica name), there might be a good comparison here.

Anyone happen to have experience with the two?

Sorry I don't have direct experience with these lenses but here goes,
The 14-50 F2.8 is one superb lens that is probably only bettered by the Oly SHG series lenses, unfortunateley it was designed for PADF not CADF which the m43 uses, so you will have to manual focus, image stabilisation being 'in lens' is very good.
The 14-50 F3.5 lens, although not as good as the f2.8 still gives a very good account of itself and has the advantage that is will CADF on m43 bodies and also has excellent in body IS.

The 12-35 is designed for m43 and judging from all the revues it gives avery good account of itself image wise.
I doubt that construction is on a par with the 14-50, as it is much lighter and more compact.
it has a silent focus motor as it is also designed for video.
It also has the advantage of being moister resistant if you need it.

personally i would say the 12-35 would be by far the better option as you get all the benefits of it being designed for m43.
the pana 4/3 lenses are superb but you have to contend with the fact they do have issues with m43 bodies.

s4ean
2nd October 2012, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the response... pretty much confirms what I've gathered as well having not had personal experience with the 12-35, but I do already own the 14-50 f2.8, which is my only reasoning for this dilemma. Autofocus in this range would be the least important deciding factor however, as it wouldn't be my standard street/candid lens, nor my sports lens. To be quite honest, the 35-100mm will still see the most usage on whatever body I get, 4/3 or m43. At least I think it will, you never know. Considering the lack of response here, seems my fears are confirmed... I doubted whether many had experience with the 14-50mm f2.8 to begin with.

Ian
2nd October 2012, 06:41 PM
I'm quite sure that the Pan/Leica 14-50 f/2.8-3.5 will autofocus on an E-M5 body, but how well is another question. The 12-35 Panny is much smaller and lighter and it will work very well for video recording as it will focus continuously. I'm sure its sharpness and contrast will be a match for the 12-35 as well. I would suggest trying it on an E-M5 if you can get hold of a Four Thirds to Micro Four Thirds adapter.

Ian

s4ean
2nd October 2012, 11:12 PM
I'm quite sure that the Pan/Leica 14-50 f/2.8-3.5 will autofocus on an E-M5 body, but how well is another question. The 12-35 Panny is much smaller and lighter and it will work very well for video recording as it will focus continuously. I'm sure its sharpness and contrast will be a match for the 12-35 as well. I would suggest trying it on an E-M5 if you can get hold of a Four Thirds to Micro Four Thirds adapter.

Ian

Thanks... I have tried it on the E-M5 before (months ago, so it's not too fresh to memory, but I do recall it performed better than the 50-200mm SWD, also on the E-M5). I just didn't know in terms of image quality whether or not I'd be giving up anything when compared to the 12-35. It's difficult putting together a lens lineup when you're not even sure which system to stick with. I suppose all I know for certain, whether it be 4/3 or m4/3, with my current lens lineup the 30mm 1.4 is one I won't need any longer.

Howi
3rd October 2012, 08:40 AM
If you already have the 14-50 then it is quite a dilema. i doubt that the 12-35 would better it for IQ but it would be very close. 12mm is also a good bit wider than 14mm.
Another area to look is - what FL range does most of your photos fall within.
If 12mm to 35mm range then the extra length of the 14-50 is of no real use to you.
If it was me I would probably stick with the 14-50 (and save a lot of money!!!) but, IF I could get a good price for it and put it towards the 12-35..........
GAS strike
Purchase verboten
Dive! Dive! Dive!
:-)

s4ean
3rd October 2012, 05:42 PM
One point lost on me that I've just come around to realizing... within the m4/3 lineup, you have the option of 12mm, 14, 17, 19, 20, 25, 30, and 44mm lenses, all native to the mount f2.8 or faster. At the end of the day, the 14-35mm was more necessary to the 4/3 lineup than the 12-35 is for m4/3, and I may not require either the 12-35mm or 14-50mm for my purposes with all the available primes. There's still no replacing the 35-100 f2 though. With that in my bag, my best route might be selling the 14-50mm and grabbing a couple of primes to go along with it. Decisions decisions... with that said, I guess the only true purpose I'd have for either of these Panny lenses would be for a walk around lens.