PDA

View Full Version : HELP! AF modes and live view

Kittykat23uk
1st October 2012, 01:17 PM
Hi folks,

having bought the 35mm macro for use with my 620, I've been having a few issues with it in live view. Firstly, I have been trying to do some low to the ground shots. Because of the angle of the shot, I have been trying to use live view to line up the shot. The camera seems to get the shot in focus and I get the focus lock beep, but when I press the shutter down fully the lens seems to try and refocus before taking the shot- usually throwing everything out of focus.

Now, i have been advised that live view uses CONTRAST DETECT focusing. If the lens does not support contrast detect, when taking the picture, the camera drops the mirror back into place and uses PHASE DETECT to focus the image, because the lens only supports phase detect.

People have advised to try switching to a diferent focus mode. I switched from Imager AF to Hybrid AF, which seems like it may work slightly better. But here's some further issues I have noticed:

Switching to AF Sensor doesn't seem to do anything, I.e. The camera doesn't seem to focus at all in this mode.

Similarly I tried changing the AEL mode in S-AF to Mode 3, which I understand from the manual should lock the exposure on a half press of the shutter and then lock focus by pressing AEL button. But again all that seems to happen is that the camera ceases to function as above, I can't focus the thing.

What am I doing wrong? :confused:

Stewart G
1st October 2012, 01:47 PM
Try this instead:
Go to the AEL/AFL button options and set MF to mode 3
Set up your macro shot normally, but put the camera in manual focus mode, not AF.
Use the AEL/AFL button to initiate focus (in live view, as you probably know, you can move the focus point to whatever element you want in the field of view). Camera will autofocus normally, but only when the button is pressed.
Adjust focus manually as needed and take the shot. Focus shouldn't change.

There is a recent link about "back" button focusing that explains this in greater detail, too.

Benedict
1st October 2012, 02:19 PM
BBF - Haven't stopped using it since I found out how to do it,because I always shoot in Manual mode if possible.