PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Photoshop Elements 11

CJJE
25th September 2012, 03:10 PM
Adobe have just released Photoshop Elements 11 for download from their website www.adobe.com (http://www.adobe.com) . :)

This version has corrected the previous versions mistake of putting black text on dark grey backgrounds, added a few new filters, but more importantly includes Camera Raw 7 so it can open Olympus OM-D E-M5 raw images!! *chr

You can try it for free for 30 days, or upgrade previous versions for 63.49 (96.71 if you also upgrade Premiere Elements for video editing). To buy for the first time costs 79.10 (or 119.14 with Premiere Elements 11).

Boxed copies will be in the shops by October, and may undercut these prices.

There's no documentation yet (only web-based help files) so it's suck and see the changes until the software authors get busy!! :confused:

StephenL
25th September 2012, 03:27 PM
I have version 10 which, after the latest update, opens E-M5 raw files. (I got it free with my tablet last month!)

CJJE
25th September 2012, 04:00 PM
I have version 10 which, after the latest update, opens E-M5 raw files. (I got it free with my tablet last month!)

Wow. I had Version 9 which couldn't use Camera RAW 7.1. I didn't think v10 could either which is why I was waiting for v11. But if you have a tablet is this the Mac version perhaps rather than the Windows version?

Edit: I now see that Camera RAW 6.7 will also open OM-D RAW files, and this is compatible with Elements 10 (but not older versions like mine). So if you have Elements 10, then the upgrade isn't as useful as I thought!

StephenL
25th September 2012, 05:00 PM
No, it's the Windows version I have. Must confess I haven't used it much yet as I have Lightroom with CS5 for odd bits. But Elements 10 certainly loads tons quicker than v9 I tried earlier.

jdal
25th September 2012, 05:06 PM
You can try it for free for 30 days, or upgrade previous versions for 63.49 (96.71 if you also upgrade Premiere Elements for video editing). To buy for the first time costs 79.10 (or 119.14 with Premiere Elements 11).

I think that's a silly upgrade price. If it was a whole new version maybe, but not for a few fairly small enhancements.

CJJE
25th September 2012, 05:43 PM
I think that's a silly upgrade price. If it was a whole new version maybe, but not for a few fairly small enhancements.

At least Adobe are giving a reduced price for upgrading earlier versions now. In the old days you had to buy the new program at the full price! And they're now giving a decent exchange rate for UK users rather than just changing the $ sign to a sign!

snaarman
25th September 2012, 06:38 PM
I read the press release with interest until I realised there's no mention of it running faster than Elements 10.

I have to use Elements 10 to open my Em-5 and EPL3 raws and DNGs but - oh dear me - it is slow compared to Photoshop CS3.

I think I will pass on this one.

Pete

Weldingblues
25th September 2012, 07:58 PM
I did not realise that PSE 10 (which I have) would open the raw files, it's not as good as Lightroom but at least its a start.

StephenL
27th September 2012, 11:05 AM
This guy has some interesting comments to make on Elements 11, and he's someone whose experience I respect:

http://www.mattk.com/

Ian
27th September 2012, 01:23 PM
I would strongly urge anyone to consider CyberLink's new PhotoDirector 4 - I have previewed it on DPNow - it combines much of what you get in Lightroom with many features of Photoshop in one package, see:

http://dpnow.com/8951.html

Ian

StephenL
27th September 2012, 01:37 PM
Thanks Ian, I'll give it a try.

jdal
27th September 2012, 01:41 PM
This guy has some interesting comments to make on Elements 11, and he's someone whose experience I respect:

http://www.mattk.com/

Thanks for the link. Nothing new that I would use, so I'll be skipping the upgrade but nice to hear that he recommends Elements over Photoshop on terms of value. I agree on that point, all I miss is 16 bit editing and proper curves.

Update: Curvesmeister looks a good plugin!

StephenL
27th September 2012, 05:07 PM
I've just had chance to have a quick look at PhotoDirector4. If I were starting from scratch it would be a good program to try; however, unless I'm missing something, the keywords I put on my raw files on import into Lightroom are missing. That makes it a no-no for me, as I carefully keyword every single photo on import. Of course, if you don't use this feature, and ahven't already got your photos in Lightroom keyworded, then it's no problem and I agree the editing features of the program are pretty good.

OM USer
27th September 2012, 05:30 PM
PhotoDirector4 looks good as my only tool to date is Olympus Viewer2. The thing I miss most with the Oly software is the the ability to apply effects to a selected area. The bonus for me is that PD4 will run on XP (or so it says) whereas LR4 is Vista/7/8 only and LR3 will not handle E-M5 RAW files. When I find time I will have a go with the trial version and cough up the dosh if it works.

Ian
27th September 2012, 06:07 PM
I've just had chance to have a quick look at PhotoDirector4. If I were starting from scratch it would be a good program to try; however, unless I'm missing something, the keywords I put on my raw files on import into Lightroom are missing. That makes it a no-no for me, as I carefully keyword every single photo on import. Of course, if you don't use this feature, and ahven't already got your photos in Lightroom keyworded, then it's no problem and I agree the editing features of the program are pretty good.

Remember that Lightroom (and PhotoDirector) are non-destructive so they never alter original files (RAW or JPEG) and so key words are not added to these files by Lightroom. They are stored in a database along with a reference to the associated file. You can embed the key words as tags when creating new versions of these images via the Export command. This certainly works with JPEG and RAW files but I haven't tried it with RAW (which would be exported as DNG RAW files).

Otherwise, you would need a catalogue import feature to import Lightroom catalogues and I am not sure there is such a feature.

Ian

StephenL
27th September 2012, 06:35 PM
Yes, that makes sense. But unfortunately you cannot import the keywords, or the database. As I said, it is a nice program if you don't need to do this, or if your keywords have been included in the IPTC of the XMP.

Ian
27th September 2012, 06:40 PM
Yes, that makes sense. But unfortunately you cannot import the keywords, or the database. As I said, it is a nice program if you don't need to do this, or if your keywords have been included in the IPTC of the XMP.

Ah - well I haven't enabled XMP sidecars in Lightroom on my laptop. I will try that (or have you already?).

PhotoDirector 4 doesn't seem to like importing DNGs created by Lightroom - causes PD to crash. Imports camera DNGs no problem, though.

Ian

StephenL
27th September 2012, 06:48 PM
Hmm... Well, I have basic stuff like copyright messages in my XMP files in LR, but PD doesn't seem to want to show them.

I've not tried DNG at all.