PDA

View Full Version : 14 - 54 - Is this too good to be true?

E-P1 fan
8th July 2008, 10:04 PM
This seems very cheap - is the price too good to be true
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-OLYMPUS-ZUIKO-DIGITAL-14-54mm-1-2-8-3-5-ZOOM-LENS_W0QQitemZ120280324765QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item 120280324765&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1308

I'd appreciate your wisdom

Zuiko
9th July 2008, 12:18 AM
This seems very cheap - is the price too good to be true
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-OLYMPUS-ZUIKO-DIGITAL-14-54mm-1-2-8-3-5-ZOOM-LENS_W0QQitemZ120280324765QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item 120280324765&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1308

I'd appreciate your wisdom

I recently bought one from this seller. It is a brand new lens and it is a real bargain.

But you do need to be aware that it is a grey import and may not be covered for warranty by Olympus UK. The view I took was that at this price it is worth a risk. If anything major does go wrong with mine I accept that I may have to post it to America for service but, unlike a camera, I could do without it for a few weeks if needed - after all, I still have the excellent 14-42mm for back up.

I'm well pleased with mine!

E-P1 fan
9th July 2008, 06:21 AM
Thanks John

I wondered if it might be in that 'grey area'

As a supplementary - how do you rate the 14-42 against the 14-54 ?

Chillimonster
9th July 2008, 07:00 AM
As long as the warranty card is with the lens it will have a 1 year international warranty (as standard with olympus DSLR / Lenses)

Chris

Byford
9th July 2008, 07:12 AM
Would you be liable to pay "import" tax ?

DekHog
9th July 2008, 07:44 AM

It says shipped from Nottingham, so I'd be inclined to ask them the question regarding import tax, as a lot sellers claim items to be shipped from the UK, when in fact they're not...

E-P1 fan
9th July 2008, 08:10 AM
Thanks Chillimonster, Byford and Dekhog - I've emailed them and will tell you what they say :)

Barr1e
9th July 2008, 04:41 PM
Have you asked Kerso for a price?
(Found in the members listing.)

Regards. Barr1e

DekHog
9th July 2008, 07:57 PM
Kerso has it at £289 on eBay, but I believe he does better prices outwith that particular marketplace...

Naughty Nigel
9th July 2008, 08:21 PM

Hi Ken,
I have had mine for four years now, and it's a cracking lens. It's also reasonably fast and not too big. I rarely use anything else for my day job apart from the 50 mm Macro, but TBH I find the 14-54 just as good unless I need to get really close.

I did try the new 12 - 60 on my E1, but it is quite a bit bigger and heavier, and I didn't like the direct focusing as much as the focus by wire system on the 14 - 54.

HTH.

mike_j
9th July 2008, 08:25 PM
I didn't like the direct focusing as much as the focus by wire system on the 14 - 54.

HTH.

Now that does surprise me. It's the one thing I really dislike on my Olympus lenses. I do like a proper distance scale - only wish it had dof markings as well.

Naughty Nigel
9th July 2008, 08:35 PM
Now that does surprise me. It's the one thing I really dislike on my Olympus lenses. I do like a proper distance scale - only wish it had dof markings as well.

I like the 'feel' of the focus by wire system. It has a very light touch, and is easy to focus with one finger when in an awkward spot (which I often am). By contrast, I found the direct focus system rather heavy and insensitive, needing a firm grip of the focusing ring.

I like using proper manual focus lenses, but I find that manual focusing of auto focus lenses tends to be less pleasurable.

Having said all that, maybe I should try again!

Zuiko
9th July 2008, 09:18 PM

Categorically no. Mine was posted from Nottingham and arrived promptly. Some of the inner packing indicated it had originated in the States. I don't know how they got it here and I don't really care as it's not my problem.

If another lens I wanted was available from this seller I'd happily use them again........if the price is right, of course!

Zuiko
9th July 2008, 09:32 PM
Thanks John

I wondered if it might be in that 'grey area'

Ah, now there's a question, Ken.

If you are expecting a massive and noticeable improvement in IQ you will be disappointed (the 14-42 is an excellent lens in it's own right).

What you will notice immediately is better build quality with a more solid feel. Next you will be suprised at just what a difference the extra 12mm at the long end makes (from 84mm to 108mm in 135 film terms). The 14-42 focuses close but the 14-54 seems to focus even closer. Last but not least the 14-54 is much brighter with a considerable advantage in maximum aperture throughout the range. It means, for example that you could shoot a low light indoor or night event at 1200 ISO instead of 3200 ISO with the slower lens!

E-P1 fan
9th July 2008, 09:44 PM
Sounds good John

ndl0071
10th July 2008, 07:27 AM
I bought my 14-54 from Kerso back in Jan for a very keen price indeed, I have since purchased the 50-200 SWD from him as well, no podium comparisons I’m afraid but he gets a ‘Highly Recommended’ from me.
The 14-54 is now used as my main walk around lens ousting the 14-42 which now sits quietly in the cupboard, not that there is anything wrong with it it’s just the 14-54 as John points out has a much better ‘feel’ to it, has a slightly longer reach, it is also weather sealed of course which helps during the summer months! I also believe that it delivers better quality results.
I think that the 14-42 & 40-150 kit lenses will now really only be used for family holidays abroad to keep the weight down, I was considering buying a 18-180 for this purpose but that’s another story…………….

Neil

Ian
10th July 2008, 08:28 AM
I recently bought one from this seller. It is a brand new lens and it is a real bargain.

But you do need to be aware that it is a grey import and may not be covered for warranty by Olympus UK. The view I took was that at this price it is worth a risk. If anything major does go wrong with mine I accept that I may have to post it to America for service but, unlike a camera, I could do without it for a few weeks if needed - after all, I still have the excellent 14-42mm for back up.

I'm well pleased with mine!

Olympus international warranty applies to lenses, but you will need to have a solid proof of purchase and I'd definitely register your lens using the supplied registration form.

Ian

Byford
10th July 2008, 10:43 AM
I am using a sigma 18-125 for a general purpose lens. I got this because I liked the equivalent range of 36-250. Anyone know how this lens compares to the 14-54?

Nick Temple-Fry
27th July 2008, 01:21 AM
I ordered a 14-54 from this seller on Wednesday, arrived Friday. So maybe a day slower than the best on-line stores but a lot (lot) cheaper.

He seems to have lots of concurrent auctions for the same item - some are cheaper than others - so worth pageing through his listings.

Only reservation is I would have liked to have seen more protection in the packaging.

Nick

E-P1 fan
27th July 2008, 08:48 AM
I was lucky enough to order mine from an excellent private UK seller - who used the funds to upgrade to a 12-60mm - but didn't like it on his E520 so is now re-selling it - and has bought a replacement 14-54mm from the same grey importer that you bought from!!