PDA

View Full Version : Panasonic LUMIX G X VARIO 35-100mm F2.8 Review

CJJE
24th September 2012, 08:37 PM
Photography Blog have published what I believe is the first review of this lens at http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/panasonic_lumix_g_x_vario_35_100mm_f2_8_asph_revie w/

They conclude that "The LUMIX G VARIO 35-100mm F2.8 is the best telephoto zoom for the Micro Four Thirds system. It offers a classic 35mm focal range with a fast maximum aperture in a relatively tiny and lightweight package, backed-up by excellent image quality throughout the focal range.Also on offer are the best build quality of any Panasonic Micro Four Thirds lens yet released, a tactile manual focusing system and impressively fast and quiet autofocusing. The only downsides are that it is a little soft at f/2.8 and f/4 at the edges of the frame (but excellent in the center) and the asking price of 1099 / $1499 makes it more expensive than most Micro Four Thirds bodies."

I hope the street price drops a bit by Christmas - or Panasonic have another of their cash-back offers!

David M
24th September 2012, 09:36 PM
That's spectacular, you may as well stick to a kit lens if you have to stop it down two stops to get it sharp.

Ulfric M Douglas
25th September 2012, 06:20 AM
Worried about the "bit soft" comment : maybe they don't mean what it sounds like, I guess my old 14-54 is a "bit soft" in the edges & corners, but some fast aperture zooms keep their sharpness there, like the SHG bunch.
Key to the deal will be how it deals with chromatic aberrations, something the 12-35 has raised red flags about already.

OlyPaul
25th September 2012, 07:45 AM
The light fall off (vignetting) seems excessive to me.

StephenL
25th September 2012, 08:05 AM
I must say I'm a little underwhelmed by this test. If you have to stop it down to get sharpness, and I note that fully-open centre sharpness is only "perfectly acceptable", then you might as well get the Oly 40-150 and save a small fortune. And what a strange body to test it on!

Ulfric M Douglas
25th September 2012, 12:55 PM
Heh, a tiny GF5! What a choice to make the lens look big.

OlyPaul, at F2.8 the vignetting is truly horrendous! Almost as if this isn't a true F2.8 and would be rejected as such by Olympus or Leica - maybe crummy vignetting is going to be an ongoing trend from now ... terrifying prospect.