PDA

View Full Version : Investigating Auto-Gradation

beardedwombat
4th December 2007, 11:52 AM
Anybody else been playing around with Auto-Gradation on the E-3? This feature seems to work in a similar way to the shadow/highlight tool in photoshop by adjusting shadows without blowing highlights - very clever! The adjustment is also visible in live-view. Unfortunately if you shoot raw, the adjustment only shows up in Olympus Master not in Lightroom or ACR. Jpegs are fine however. I assume this is linked to the SAT (shadow adjustment technology) adjustment in playback. According to the handbook the image is divided into detailed regions and each region has its brightness adjusted separately. It would be interesting to know how many "regions" an image is divided into. This adjustment is effectively extending the dynamic range. This would seem to me to be a major feature about which very little trumpetting has been done.

I am sure that among you techies there will be someone who can explain how it works! I for one will definately be playing with it some more on the next bright day.

Chris

R MacE
7th December 2007, 12:22 PM
I haven't tried it myself although I've set it to Auto.

Interesting that you mention the need to use Olympus software to benefit when shooting Raw, it's pretty much the same regarding the Noise Filter setting. Obviously you can't blame Olympus for the fact that the adjusments aren't available in 3rd party software but there you go. Pity they couldn't make a Plug-In though.

I use Lightroom/PS but I always keep Master loaded as well.

DerekW
7th December 2007, 02:30 PM
I take quite a few pictures of black cats and dogs - the results so far from the E3 with Auto Grad on are very good, reduces the need to mess around in PS to get the detail of the fur.

Haisbro
9th December 2007, 09:40 AM
Here are some more images i took yesterday at dawn.

E3 + 1.4 + 50-200 lens. IS switched on and at No1 Body and lens hand held on a beach in a wind etc etc. 1/200 f5.6 equivalent 566mm lens iso 100 raw file.

Sea Palling reefs are about a 40 min walk away.

Focusing on the distint cliffs in bad light caused the focus to hunt. Focus on an object like the distant pylons and it snapped on. There was about a two stop correction as i was shooting into the light.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/56583857@N00/?saved=1

Added some more images using the graduated feature and results look promising.. When using the graduation feature, i used auto,there is a nice balance showing some detail of the sandy cliff as well as keeping the exposure in the sky. Normally the cliff to the right would be a black featureless block of nothing when shooting into the light.The graduated exposure seems to be 2 to 4 times longer than a single exposure.

The sky was a vivid colour though the image on the LCD seemed more muted and blue on some exposures.

H