PDA

View Full Version : FL50R and FL50 with E5

Naughty Nigel
20th September 2012, 12:46 PM
I am considering a FL50R flashgun to use with my E5.

I already have a FL50, but like the idea of radio control function of the FL50R for fill in flash or to provide illumination where a camera mounted flashgun doesn't work.

Ideally I would like to use the FL50R together with the FL50 flashgun mounted on my E5.

Does anyone know whether this combination would work, or whether they have ever tried it?

Alternatively, is there a radio receiver that would communicate between the FL50 and an E5?

Graham_of_Rainham
20th September 2012, 01:05 PM
You need the popup flash to act as the control for the FL-50R, which will not "popup" with the FL-50 attached.

You could, as I have done, use a PC flash cord to a PC hotshoe to fire the FL-50 that's mounted on a bracket. Even my full sync lead prevents the popup flash from being raised into the full working position.

I use the RC to control the FL-50Rs and where I need extra range or in bright light, I use these Radio Triggers.

They can also control the Camera so are VERY useful

http://www.pixelhk.com/Proshow.aspx?id=65

Have fun

*chr

Naughty Nigel
20th September 2012, 04:05 PM
Thanks Graham, that looks interesting.

I am also grateful to you for pointing out that the on-camera flash must be activated for the wireless system to work.

Do any of the remote controls replicate the wireless control of the FL50R?

Graham_of_Rainham
20th September 2012, 10:28 PM
Thanks Graham, that looks interesting.

I am also grateful to you for pointing out that the on-camera flash must be activated for the wireless system to work.

Do any of the remote controls replicate the wireless control of the FL50R?

Unfortunately the Radio Triggers only provide a sync signal, so none of the TTL functionality of the FL-50R will be available.

Therefore I'd put the FL-50 onto the Radio Trigger as the key light and use the Slave Mode on the FL-50R to provide the "additional" light.

I also use simple slave hot shoes (eBay) to trigger my guns from the cameras popup flash set to very low power, and go old fashioned PC sync leads...