PDA

View Full Version : Zuiko 90-250mm second hand prices?

Jim Ford
13th September 2012, 09:21 PM
How much do 90-250mm Zuikos go for?

There's one in SRS at around 2500, which is too much, but I expect private sales would go for less.

(I'm trying to talk myself out of this one!)

Jim

David M
13th September 2012, 11:07 PM
4/3 is dead, it may be worth 500 on a good day although that's more than I'd pay.

Jim Ford
14th September 2012, 10:45 AM
4/3 is dead, it may be worth 500 on a good day although that's more than I'd pay.

What you mean that the OM-E5 has rendered 4/3rds effectively obsolete the same as APS-C, as implied by dpreview's conclusion?

"The E-M5 can't completely overcome the light capture disadvantage brought by its smaller sensor, compared to APS-C, but it reduces it to the point that it's irrelevant for almost all practical purposes. At which point we think its size advantage, in terms of both body and lenses, will outweigh that difference for most uses. If you're absolutely unwilling to compromise on image quality then spending twice the money and moving up to the bulk of full-frame is the only way of gaining a significant step up from the E-M5."

Jim

Chevvyf1
14th September 2012, 12:29 PM

I recently talked myself out of a 300 lens - because when (not if) Oly announce the OM-D Pro (which will have terrific focus lock) and launch all the lenses (which will work so fast and so much better than 4/3rds lenses) the bottom* will fall out of these huge, but brilliant lenses :eek:

I rather suspect the delay by Oly - on lens development is due to knowing their OM-D buyers and needs ? so as to assess the market value of long and wide lenses :D

Greytop
14th September 2012, 12:56 PM
My OM-D already has a terrific focus lock with m4/3rds Chevvy, so if a Pro OM-D is introduced that will also work more effectively with 4/3rds (phase detection) glass I see the converse happening, i.e. 4/3rds value picking up.
Sorry for the slightly off topic comment Jim :)

peak4
14th September 2012, 05:05 PM
Personally I didn't think 2500 was too bad considering it has a 12 month warranty.

FFordes have a new one in a "sale" at 4,600 http://www.ffordes.co.uk/product/100723163510056

WEX have one at 4485 http://www.wexphotographic.com/search/Default.aspx?q=90-250mm&cat02=2020&SortBy=&ShowAll=1&cm_mmc=Google+-+Warehouse+Cameras+%26+Lenses-_-Lenses+%2F+Various-_-Various+Lenses+%2F+90-250mm-_-90-250mm&mkwid=sbDlzUCOT&pcrid=13267860969&kword=90-250mm&match=p&plid=&gclid=CLWW3_nFtbICFSfMtAodXlIABg

My own local dealer wants 99p more, but I guess I'd save on the postage http://www.harrisoncameras.co.uk/Shop/Lenses+and+Accessories/SLR+Camera+Lenses/Olympus+Lenses/Olympus+Zuiko+Digital+ED+90-250mm+128+EZ-P9025+Top+Pro+Lens_N2127492.htm

I would expect to pay 2/3s new price for a warranted used lens from a dealer.

I assume David's comment had the relevant smiley missing:rolleyes:

Chevvyf1
14th September 2012, 05:40 PM
My OM-D already has a terrific focus lock with m4/3rds Chevvy, so if a Pro OM-D is introduced that will also work more effectively with 4/3rds (phase detection) glass I see the converse happening, i.e. 4/3rds value picking up.
Sorry for the slightly off topic comment Jim :)

Huw, as I understand it, the 4/3 lenses will not work to optimum performance on m4/3 - but I may have misread a few independent reviews :o

JohnI
14th September 2012, 09:02 PM
Jim -

Don't know if you already own a 50-200mm (if so, disregard the rest of this post), but . . .

90-250mm f2.8 weighs in at 3270 grams (7.21 lbs)

50-200mm f2.8/3.5 weighs in at 995 grams (2.19 lbs)

if I add an EC14 teleconverter to the 50-200mm, that gives me a 70-280mm range at the loss of a stop and an additional 170 grams, for a total weight of 1165 grams (2.56 lbs).

For my purposes, the weight of the 90-250mm or for that matter the lovely 300mm simply make them impractical. They are lenses for a seriously high quality and heavy tripod & head (add another 500-750USD and another 5 kg) and fixed shooting, likely from a blind.

That, and used 50-200's seem to run about 950USD or maybe 600 BP?

In a perfect world I would own both . . . but 90% of my wildlife shooting is done on foot and on the move, so I traded the lens speed penalty for the weight penalty and have been more than happy with the 50-200/EC14 combination.

John

Jim Ford
14th September 2012, 09:55 PM
Yes John, I've got the 50-200 Zuiko and 1.4 converter. It's just that after using my 35-100 Zuiko I fancied the extra quality and speed that the 90-250 should give.

Jim

David M
14th September 2012, 10:34 PM
Actually Bill this Blackberry won't let me add smileys or do a lot of others things on the forum. But in all seriousness, the 90-250 is the last SHG lens I'd buy.

peak4
14th September 2012, 10:43 PM
Actually Bill this Blackberry won't let me add smileys or do a lot of others things on the forum. But in all seriousness, the 90-250 is the last SHG lens I'd buy.

David, If you haven't got the specific usage I know what you mean, but it's quite well regarded for motorsport, rallies in particular, where you want something waterproof, sharp & fast.
I got mine at a decent price immediately before my circumstances changed, so it's not been out on a rally since I got it. :( (note the smiley)
Still not selling though as I'm hoping to get out in the forest stages again next year.

Nick Temple-Fry
14th September 2012, 11:19 PM
And of course the 90-250 can be used handheld, both alone or with either of the teleconverters.

Yes it's a big lump to port around, but it's a great lens to have available.

2500 - well that seems a reasonable price for a lens in good condition.

Nick

David M
14th September 2012, 11:46 PM
Yeah Bill, they're also popular with safari shooters where the tour bus can drive up to a 'wild' animal so the tourists can take pictures of it.

Greytop
15th September 2012, 11:03 AM
Huw, as I understand it, the 4/3 lenses will not work to optimum performance on m4/3 - but I may have misread a few independent reviews :o

Yes I agree 100% Chevvy, but some are better than others, my 14-54 MK2 for example is quite acceptable.
As I mentioned in the last post, if Oly do bring a OM-D hybrid to the table that is as effective with 4/3rds as it is with m4/3rds, then I can see a renewed interest in the quality 4/3rds range and lets face it most are pretty exceptional.

Chevvyf1
15th September 2012, 12:15 PM
Yes I agree 100% Chevvy, but some are better than others, my 14-54 MK2 for example is quite acceptable.
As I mentioned in the last post, if Oly do bring a OM-D hybrid to the table that is as effective with 4/3rds as it is with m4/3rds, then I can see a renewed interest in the quality 4/3rds range and lets face it most are pretty exceptional.

Huw, YES *chr I do agree with you.

I would be surprised if Oly bring out such kit, compat with 4/3rds as, I fear, it would be a retro step in technology :( ... Just as the E-5 was developed to improve IQ from the 4/3rds Zuiko lenses as a major development - I suspect thats where 4/3rds stops :( ... but we have to wait for Ian to inform us here :)

DerekC
15th September 2012, 06:37 PM
David, If you haven't got the specific usage I know what you mean, but it's quite well regarded for motorsport, rallies in particular, where you want something waterproof, sharp & fast.
I got mine at a decent price immediately before my circumstances changed, so it's not been out on a rally since I got it. :( (note the smiley)
Still not selling though as I'm hoping to get out in the forest stages again next year.

I have to agree I bought mine for mototrsport, rallies, British and world superbike, etc. I'm pleased with its performance, its been covered in dust in the forests got soaked at a superbike meeting and always worked well. I would go as far to say it is probably my most used lens.
I think the price is very fair infact cheaper than I have seen. Yes it is a heavy lens and I do own a 50-200SWD but prefer the 90-250, but you can use it hand held.
Dukeries Rally Sherwood Pines using monopod
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Focus_WRC.jpg
Hand held Donington Park
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/David_Johnson.jpg

David Morison
18th September 2012, 06:36 AM
I think that 2500 is a good deal if you need that type of lens, although for my use all I really need is a prime and the 300mm f2.8 weighs about the same. I do have the 50-200mm which I have used with the EC14 and it does give superb results. However I am quite happy to carry and use the 300mm hand held without too much fatigue and more often than not use it with the EC14 hand held. If I also have a need for shorter focal lengths then I will carry a second camera with a 14-150mm zoom. I also use this setup occasionally with a monopod in windier conditions. Carrying and using all this kit doesn't phase me at all, having in the past carried 20 kg of ice-climbing and bivouac kit up Alpine peaks this is lightweight. However if Olympus do bring out a "proper" OMD plus at least a m43 300mm SHG prime then I won't be disappointed!

David

gazza95
18th September 2012, 07:32 AM
Hi

Well I have 50-200 and 90-250. The 50-200 just sits on shelf these days and I should sell it. Yes the 90-250 is a lump to carry but quality of pics I get using it hand held or on mono pod are worth the effort. After three days of lugging it around Goodwood I ache a bit but as I am sorting out the pictures I realise why I did it.

One big advantage for me is that I can use the 1.4 converter and loose very little image quality with lens fully open. That means shutter speed stays up and I get sharper pictures. The 50-200 fully open with 1.4 converter just looses too much quality especially as light reduces.

Have also tried the 300mm f2.8 and it is a better lens quality wise and would have gone for that if I did not need to zoom so much for motor sport and rowing pics.

As for second hand prices, would have thought anything less that 3,000 was worth a look. Lens comes as standard with protective filter just make sure its in good condition as it and lens hood blooming expensive to replace.

Gary

P.S. Only slight downside I have ever found is that min focusing distance is not as close as I would sometimes like e.g. for birds .

Simon Bee
21st September 2012, 05:58 PM
Personally I didn't think 2500 was too bad considering it has a 12 month warranty.

I totally agree ...... I just bought it :eek:

It will pair up with my E5 & 14-35 , also have the 35-100 & 150 F2 but may well put both these up for sale now. I think a 50 F2 will fill the gap for me if I let the 35-100 go, I don't need complete focal range coverage.

Regards Simon

Simon Bee
24th September 2012, 08:40 PM
Well the 90-250 arrived this afternoon, I have not yet had a chance to try it out, that will have to wait until the weekend.

What I can say at this stage is that it is in superb condition, optically it is truly "mint" , cosmetically I would call it "mint-" .

SRS were very conservative with their description of this fine lens and it IMO was a very good purchase especially as it comes with a 12 month warranty.

Yes it is large and heavy but its 35mm focal length equivalent is 180-500 at constant F2.8 , just imagine the size of that for 35mm ..... well actually I can ..... it's that 15k Sigma that weighs something like 25 kilos with its dedicated tripod :eek:

When I shot with a Nikon I had a 400mm F2.8 AFS and I can tell you the Olympus 90-250 is a lightweight compared to that lens :eek:

Now I need to decide whether to let go of the 35-100 and/or the 150 F2 , if there are any interested parties I may well be prepared to sell. The 14-35 SWD I have, paired with an as yet not owned 50 F2 would make a great general purpose combo, with the 90-250 sorting the 'tele' end of things do you not think ?

Kind regards Simon