PDA

View Full Version : Attention spectacle wearers!

StephenL
12th September 2012, 10:09 AM
I've just managed to get hold of the optional eyepiece EP-11.

I've had it ordered from SRS for a few months but for some reason they weren't getting stocks, so yesterday I cancelled and bought from Warehouse Express.

It arrived today (in a large packet via Parcelforce marked FRAGILE!), and what a difference it makes! I was managing fine with my specs and the original eyepiece, or so I thought, but this new, larger, one is even better. Not the cheapest accessory on the market, but worthwile if you need to wear glasses all the time.

Zuiko
12th September 2012, 10:53 AM
Thanks Stephen, I'll look into that. :)

Weldingblues
12th September 2012, 03:14 PM
Thanks Stephen, I'll look into that. :)

Agreed with that :tup

CJJE
12th September 2012, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the news that it's worthwhile. I'm managing with the standard eyepiece, but had wondered about buying the EP-11 when I got my EM-5. I'll give it a try too... (You ARE on commission I hope!)

StephenL
12th September 2012, 03:55 PM
If only ... The number of people who have bought E-M5s after trying mine is growing, too!

CJJE
12th September 2012, 04:07 PM
Ah well...

I've just found one at Amazon for 19.99 + 3.99 P&P. Seems to compare well with Parks and SRS for once.

StephenL
12th September 2012, 04:14 PM
That's the one place I didn't look, for once! Well spotted!

CJJE
12th September 2012, 04:25 PM
I see a reviewer on Amazon suggests that the EP-11 eyepiece moves your eye further away from the viewfinder, so that you only see around 90% of the image. (He suggests that the eyepiece is best used without glasses in bright conditions). Do you find this is a problem?

StephenL
12th September 2012, 05:01 PM
With specs I still get 100% vision in the viewfinder, even though, yes, the eye is a little further away. How the d##*l are you supposed to see through the finder without specs, if you need specs? Diopter adjustment doesn't work for astigmatism! Some reviewers just aren't real! Grrrr!

OM USer
12th September 2012, 06:08 PM
Luckily for me the diopter adjustment is all I need. I would like to know how I am supposed to see the OLED screen - if I wear my reading glasses then when I look up I can't see anything! Unfortunately its not easy to menu dive via the buttons with your eye up to the eyepiece - I keep hitting the wrong button.

Ross the fiddler
13th September 2012, 12:27 AM
With specs I still get 100% vision in the viewfinder, even though, yes, the eye is a little further away. How the d##*l are you supposed to see through the finder without specs, if you need specs? Diopter adjustment doesn't work for astigmatism! Some reviewers just aren't real! Grrrr!

The EP-11 works nicely for me with my glasses & I'm in the astigmatism club too (not by any choice from me :( ) although thankfully, only slightly. The EP-11 keeps the reflections off the glasses & the only disadvantage with it is getting the flash on (FL-LM2) as the rubber needs to be flexed down a little to get the shoe of the flash to line up with the rail on the camera (other flashes have no issues at all with it) & to not catch on the rubber edge as it's pushed in.

StephenL
13th September 2012, 07:45 AM
I'll watch out for the flash issue - thanks for the warning. Although I hate using flash, so the problem should rarely arise.

Greytop
13th September 2012, 07:59 AM
I thoroughly recommended the EP-11 too, I've been using it from day one with the E-M5, in fact it arrived (from of SRS) before the camera did .

Ross the fiddler
13th September 2012, 08:53 AM
I'll watch out for the flash issue - thanks for the warning. Although I hate using flash, so the problem should rarely arise.

Don't get me wrong. It's not really an issue, just something to be aware of perhaps.

CRANSTALL
13th September 2012, 12:56 PM
Just had mine turn up today from srs do not have to use glasses but i lost one of my M5 and could,nt find any ref anywhere to get a spare so if anyone who wears specs wants to swap for the normal one please contact me via email thanks :)

drmarkf
17th September 2012, 10:53 PM
I've just found one at Amazon for 19.99 + 3.99 P&P. Seems to compare well with Parks and SRS for once.

I went for one of these, and have just received a confirmatory email saying it's coming from "Sun Kong Photo Supply Limited trading on Amazon.co.uk as NewItemExpress-UK", and it says it's travelling via "Hong Kong Post".

Hmmmm.

There was no sign on the Amazon page that it was coming from anywhere but the UK, and "NewItemExpress-UK" carries the clear implication that they're UK based. I'm not going to be a happy bunny if this takes 3 weeks to arrive and I get done for duty and VAT - in fact they'll be told to stuff it up their Wanchai (if you follow my meaning)!

CRANSTALL
18th September 2012, 08:43 PM
Hi just a thought but i have lost two off these so far and when rooting in my camera odds and sod box i found a 1.7 magnify, eyepiece i had for my d300 and out of curiosity i tried it on my m5 and guess what it fits very well and i dont think it will come of as easily as the oly one,s do so i found an ordinary one on ebay in the uk for 4.00 and have orderd it so i will let you know later whether it fits the same or not just wish i had found out about the originals being so loose before they fell of:mad::mad:

StephenL
19th September 2012, 07:06 AM
I have read about the eyepiece on the E-M5 falling off, but when I received my new one, I had the very devil of a job getting the old one off. Must be production tolerances. Just as I never had the EVF fall off my Pens.

CJJE
19th September 2012, 03:03 PM
I went for one of these, and have just received a confirmatory email saying it's coming from "Sun Kong Photo Supply Limited trading on Amazon.co.uk as NewItemExpress-UK", and it says it's travelling via "Hong Kong Post".

Hmmmm.

There was no sign on the Amazon page that it was coming from anywhere but the UK, and "NewItemExpress-UK" carries the clear implication that they're UK based. I'm not going to be a happy bunny if this takes 3 weeks to arrive and I get done for duty and VAT - in fact they'll be told to stuff it up their Wanchai (if you follow my meaning)!

I also noticed this in my confirmation email; however the good news is that mine arrived today, without any attempt by the Post Office to collect VAT or customs duty. (I think there's a cutoff point below which they don't bother as I've had small items from the USA without being charged VAT or duty.) :)

skyman1
19th September 2012, 08:40 PM
I think the cut off for customs etc is over about 18 :)

ayewing
19th September 2012, 08:53 PM
I think that is correct. In my experience Chinese sellers on eBay are often less than wholly accurate about the stated value e.g. "sample", "gift", "no commercial value" etc. when sending by China or Hong Kong Post. On the other hand anything sent by UPS or FedEx usually has the value stated and you get a bill for duty, VAT and handling.

drmarkf
19th September 2012, 09:52 PM
OK, I'll report back!

Ross the fiddler
19th September 2012, 10:24 PM
I think the cut off for customs etc is over about 18 :)

At the moment we don't pay import duty & GST on items below $1,000 but someone wants to change that. :( Spoil sports! :p

StephenL
20th September 2012, 07:11 AM
Of late I've found that the more reputable "foreign" sellers, be they USA, HK, or wherever, are paying all UK taxes and duties up front, and declare so. And they still manage to sell them cheaper than we in the UK can buy them And I presume they still make a profit.

drmarkf
20th September 2012, 07:28 PM
Interesting.
No signs of delivery yet...

drmarkf
27th September 2012, 03:11 PM
It's arrived with no extra charges, although I had to sign for collection from our local post office. They'd declared a value of US$10.50.

Weldingblues
1st October 2012, 04:16 PM
I bought one through Amazon, arrived today value on packet $11.50 with no extra charges.

Regards