PDA

View Full Version : E5 or E3

Topsyrm
8th September 2012, 04:52 PM
Hi all, I have just made a monumentous decision. I have bought an E3 plus 12-60 lens which adds to my 2 E401s and lenses 9-----300 all Oly. I have decided after many years to sell all my Nikon stuff (D3, D2x and lens range similar) because of the weight of all that kit. Point is I was not taking the Nikon kit out at all really due to some muscular skeletal issues (in other words I can't cope with the heavy kit anymore). I have had the E410s now for some time preferring them for travelling (motorcycle tank bag) and have never been dissapointed with the results so I decided to go for non kit/budget gear and replace the Nikons. So now the point, am I going to get any benefit from an E5 over the E3 (don't want video)? :confused: :D, ie confused E3/E5 but happy with Oly kit and decision. I have been doing a 52 on ephotozine which you can see has featured more Oly than Nikon plus some Fuji X10. So E5 users, should I shell out for one?

Chevvyf1
8th September 2012, 05:06 PM
Paul, yesterday I took out my E-5 and E-1 and I was blown away how light the E-1 and how much heavier the E-5 is :)

Peter D(rury) on here uses his E-3 with a macro lens and his E-5 with BIGMA or 50-200 lens and he gets the most amazing shots with the E-3 - check out his posts and his website for more info - then you can look at his exif too per shot :)

I am in great agony today - from over work yesterday, my fault - but I still took camera case with E-5 and lots of lenses - but it on 5" off road soft wheels - for chugging about lakes and I take a pop up armchair :) ... but soon maybe not :(

zuiko-holic
8th September 2012, 06:10 PM
E-5 is a significant improvement over the E-3, cost aside since the E-5 is pricey, especially when you proccess the images.

Dymanic range is much improved (wider usable range) and higher ISO looks cleaner.

However, with a new body with fast-AF support for 4/3 lenses to be announced soon, it would be advisable to wait a bit until you make a final decision..

Topsyrm
21st September 2012, 07:09 PM
Oh-oh, liked the e3 so much, future proofing myself, just bought a brand new e5. Now can't wait for delivery. Hope I am not dissapointed but having used the e3 (pre-owned) and loving it just thought a new camera would be the wisest investment since Olympus seem to be disowning 4/3rds. Still got a s**t load of Nikon kit to get rid of though. *yes

David M
21st September 2012, 10:01 PM
I've still not got an E-5, my E-3 has enough resolution for my commercial work and I'm considering an EM-5 with a selection of manual focus primes for my personal work.

sponner
21st September 2012, 10:57 PM
I have an E 620 and an E5, i get much better results form the E5?/ I just don't know why :)

Topsyrm
24th September 2012, 06:41 PM
OK, so I took delivery today of my e-5. One reason I bit the proverbial bullet was to have an unsed/abused camera. I am now learning yet another set of menus which are a bit different from the e-3 and e-410s I have but easy enough. I seem to have though, an LCD monitor that opens bright then dips to less bright (sometimes) then back to bright, this on both display and menus. Anyone any ideas?:confused:

kidslateinlife
24th September 2012, 06:46 PM
OK, so I took delivery today of my e-5. One reason I bit the proverbial bullet was to have an unsed/abused camera. I am now learning yet another set of menus which are a bit different from the e-3 and e-410s I have but easy enough. I seem to have though, an LCD monitor that opens bright then dips to less bright (sometimes) then back to bright, this on both display and menus. Anyone any ideas?:confused:

Funny enough, my E3 does that, but I put it down to being second hand when I procured it..... don't know why it does.

But thanks for getting me jealous about the E5, look forward to images.

Bikie John
24th September 2012, 07:01 PM
I seem to have though, an LCD monitor that opens bright then dips to less bright (sometimes) then back to bright, this on both display and menus. Anyone any ideas?:confused:

I think it adjusts the brightness automagically to suit the ambient light. There is a small sensor between the display and the viewfinder - if you put your thumb over it, it will think it's dark and will dim the image accordingly.

Having said that, mine has always behaved somewhat randomly and I've never worried about it. There might be an option somewhere under the cogs and spanners to stop it adjusting.

Ciao ... John

Topsyrm
24th September 2012, 07:06 PM
Funny enough, my E3 does that, but I put it down to being second hand when I procured it..... don't know why it does.

Thanks, no need to be jelous though, I sold a Nikon D3 to fund it and have no regrets. :D

Topsyrm
24th September 2012, 07:11 PM
I think it adjusts the brightness automagically to suit the ambient light. There is a small sensor between the display and the viewfinder - if you put your thumb over it, it will think it's dark and will dim the image accordingly.

Having said that, mine has always behaved somewhat randomly and I've never worried about it. There might be an option somewhere under the cogs and spanners to stop it adjusting.

Ciao ... John

Thanks John, don't think I can be bothered to dig around for a fix, probably don't need one anyway if it's meant to be there. Funny, when I first saw it I was mortified (new purchase and all) but having feedback like this is very comforting. Thank you. It is one of the things I like about this forum, there is always good advice just a post away.

I shall post images as soon as I have some worthy of this forum. *yes *chr

DerekW
24th September 2012, 07:52 PM
RTFM

In my manual it is on page 152 in
Setup Menu
Third selection down you can select brightness of the screen or set it to auto main info on page 99 Monitor Brightness adjustment.

Topsyrm
24th September 2012, 08:03 PM
RTFM

In my manual it is on page 152 in
Setup Menu
Third selection down you can select brightness of the screen or set it to auto main info on page 99 Monitor Brightness adjustment.

Hey thanks, (does RTFM mean read the f*****g manual?). I would have possibly got there in the end but reading is not my first priority when getting a new peice of equipment. Fortunatley for me there are people like you around who are willing to give the benefit of your many hours of reading. Again, thank you.

DerekW
24th September 2012, 09:56 PM
no it means Read the Funny Manual <g>

Actually I found the Wrotniak web site very useful for deciphering the cameras and the manuals

See
http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/e3-sett.html

which is for the E3 - I do not think he did one for the E5. However a lot of the E3 settings still applies to the E5. It may speed up your use of the E5.

Good luck with the E5

Topsyrm
25th September 2012, 06:19 PM

Ok, here is the first, converted from RAW in the Oly provided software (CS3 won't convert these RAW files :() to TIFF for post process (not hardly any) in Photoshop CS3 then compressed to JPG for upload. Be kind *yes

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=209&pictureid=1328

It is of course HMP Dartmoor this morning shrouded in early sunlight and mist. :D:D:D, I'm happy anyway. *yes

Jim Ford
25th September 2012, 06:38 PM
Hey thanks, (does RTFM mean read the f*****g manual?). I would have possibly got there in the end but reading is not my first priority when getting a new peice of equipment. Fortunatley for me there are people like you around who are willing to give the benefit of your many hours of reading. Again, thank you.

The following Dave Barry quote is applicable here!

"Congratulations. You have purchased an extremely fine device that would give you thousands of years of trouble-free service, except that you will undoubtedly destroy it via some typical bonehead consumer maneuver. Which is why we ask you to PLEASE FOR GOD'S SAKE READ THIS OWNER'S MANUAL CAREFULLY BEFORE YOU UNPACK THE DEVICE. YOU ALREADY UNPACKED IT, DIDN'T YOU? YOU UNPACKED IT AND PLUGGED IT IN AND TURNED IT ON AND FIDDLED WITH THE KNOBS, AND NOW YOUR CHILD, THE SAME CHILD WHO ONCE SHOVED A POLISH SAUSAGE INTO YOUR VIDEOCASSETTE RECORDER AND SET IT ON "FAST FORWARD", THIS CHILD ALSO IS FIDDLING WITH THE KNOBS, RIGHT? WE MIGHT AS WELL JUST BREAK THESE DEVICES RIGHT AT THE FACTORY BEFORE WE SHIP THEM OUT, DO YOU KNOW THAT?"

;^)

Jim

Topsyrm
25th September 2012, 06:50 PM
Its just a fekin camera not a rocket ship and I'm not hard of readin so no need to SHOUT. Manuals are for nerds and the like, I don't seem to be messin up the picture takin so I cant be all that stupid. *zzz

Jim Ford
25th September 2012, 07:08 PM
I'm not hard of readin so no need to SHOUT.

I just quoted the quote verbatim.

Jim

DerekW
25th September 2012, 07:44 PM
However if you download the Adobe DNG Converter Program you can use that to convert the ORF file to a DNG file which CS3 will be able to read. - or it did for me ...

Topsyrm
25th September 2012, 07:56 PM
However if you download the Adobe DNG Converter Program you can use that to convert the ORF file to a DNG file which CS3 will be able to read. - or it did for me ...

Thanks Derek, I have read that elsewhere, however, not sure where the benefit is. I have now loaded the Oly priority software which opens the RAW, it isn't the same at PS but the functions seem to be all there so, question really is, open with DNG converter then re-open with PS RAW converter or open with Oly Viewer 2 then re-open with PS??:confused: Willing to listen to those more proficient than me and adapt, improvise and overcome but happy enough that I can at least open and process my RAW files to get images which I can tweek as desired. Truth is probably the OOC jpgs are as good as I might be able to configure anyway. :o *chr

Chevvyf1
25th September 2012, 08:07 PM
Ok, here is the first, converted from RAW in the Oly provided software (CS3 won't convert these RAW files :() to TIFF for post process (not hardly any) in Photoshop CS3 then compressed to JPG for upload. Be kind *yes

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=209&pictureid=1328

It is of course HMP Dartmoor this morning shrouded in early sunlight and mist. :D:D:D, I'm happy anyway. *yes

What settings ar eyou using here ?

Topsyrm
25th September 2012, 08:10 PM
What settings ar eyou using here ?

Hi Chevvy, not sure what you mean by settings?

Chevvyf1
25th September 2012, 08:16 PM
Hi Chevvy, not sure what you mean by settings?

ISO ? PAS or M ? lens ? for starters are the norm :)

Topsyrm
25th September 2012, 08:30 PM
ISO ? PAS or M ? lens ? for starters are the norm :)

Ok here goes. ISO 200, lens 12-60 at 60mm. Used a grey grad to control the sky/mist. Not sure what PAS is (sorry) but was on S/AF aperture priority, focussed about 1/3 front 2/3 rear and held focus, at f5.6, literally a grab shot from the side of the road during Brat Run. Was just keen to get something in the bag on the first day's outing (on my way to Somerset to a meeting at the top of Cheddar Gorge, 2 hours drive) only received the e-5 yesterday after work. Shot it hand held 250th sec but did use the internal level for uprights. This shot is the full frame, no cropping and has very little PP didn't need much, tweeked exposure, contrast, brightness and some (not mutch) sharpening. *ipop

DerekW
25th September 2012, 09:53 PM
The DNG converter is a batch process you do not have to do anything apart from place the ORF pictures in a folder, point the DNG Converter at the folder and also point it at an output folder and it will process the images in one action.

The advantage of using DNG rather than JPEG is that you retain more of the image information compared to a JPEG out of the camera. You have more scope to adjust the exposure and colour balance than with a JPEG.

However it is horses for courses and it depends on what other processes you have eg Lightroom or Aperture etc to improve the the processing rate of the images that will determine what methodology you chose.

Topsyrm
25th September 2012, 10:28 PM
The DNG converter is a batch process you do not have to do anything apart from place the ORF pictures in a folder, point the DNG Converter at the folder and also point it at an output folder and it will process the images in one action.

The advantage of using DNG rather than JPEG is that you retain more of the image information compared to a JPEG out of the camera. You have more scope to adjust the exposure and colour balance than with a JPEG.

However it is horses for courses and it depends on what other processes you have eg Lightroom or Aperture etc to improve the the processing rate of the images that will determine what methodology you chose.

Thanks Derek. It all seems very complicated to me, in the olden days I had a B&W darkroom which I understood, and, produced images I was proud of. These days my camera is a computer, so is the "darkroom" and there are infinatley more nuances within than I remember from a wet darkroom, each depending on a level of techno understanding that I have no real inclination to aquire. I can get images that I still feel proud of on jpg, RAW, is accepted as beter, and I can't argue. When I could use PSh it was easy because I have aquired the basics as I have gone along but I am so not sure I need to learn any more and I am also not sure I have the time or inclination to pursue purist methods for my hobby. I am very grateful for all advice posted on here. I think I will spend my efforts taking rather than processing pictures and accept that a better processed image is around the next corner. I used to use a Pro darkroom for any colour printing that was destined for other walls so, sameold same old. Sorry to ramble. :(