PDA

View Full Version : Price for web usage?

Janet
6th September 2012, 07:49 PM
I've been approached by a company wanting to licence some of my canal images for their new website....yes, someone wants to pay for my photos!

However, I'm struggling to find any guidelines as to pricing....can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Many thanks!

Janet

Chevvyf1
6th September 2012, 08:24 PM
I've been approached by a company wanting to licence some of my canal images for their new website....yes, someone wants to pay for my photos!

However, I'm struggling to find any guidelines as to pricing....can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Many thanks!

Janet

Janet, I am not surprised ! C o n g r a t u l a t i o n 's :) and well deserved !

They are likely up for "a steal" ...

I learned when writing software for "Solicitors Acocunting" that you cost out costs; add a margin for your time; then "balance YOUR COTS & TIme vs the Client Benefits"

It helped me to charge the RIGHT PRICE !

In negotiation of Compensation you can always be forced down - but rarely manaeovre up! :)

So think about what you would be happy with ? 's nnn.nn

and What you would be ECSTATIC WITH ? 's nnnn.nn

What do you want to buy to "treat yourself?" and how much does that cost ?

Maybe you could start at 75% of ECSTATIC ? and settle halfway between that and HAPPY ?

Good luck :)

Zuiko
6th September 2012, 08:28 PM

Many thanks!

Janet

Sounds like they are legit (otherwise they woulld have just lifted them without asking) so why not ask them what rates they have in mind? I don't think it's going to be a massive fee for web use, but ask them to ensure you get a credit line for each one, sometimes one thing can lead to another!

Well done! *chr

Janet
6th September 2012, 08:38 PM
They didn't actually approach me direct...they got in touch with the canal boat company I work for at weekends who didn't give out my details, but gave me the email address and phone number to contact the company.

I've emailed them tonight to find out just what they are looking for...I can provide lots of stock photos but also have access to several boats if they want something specific taking.

It's a refreshing change to find a company that realises they can't just lift images off the web and a HUGE confidence boost for me!

Janet

xp1
7th September 2012, 07:08 AM
Great news and congratulations. As Zuiko said you could reach some sort of agreement with them to produce further images which would be more beneficial to you in the long run. Where did they see your images ??. Most companies usually go straight to a stock site. You have obviously produced exactly what they were looking for so hopefully you may get some further work from them. As for pricing Chevvyf1 has made a good point. Good luck with the negotiations.

Chevvyf1
7th September 2012, 07:45 AM
Great news and congratulations. As Zuiko said you could reach some sort of agreement with them to produce further images which would be more beneficial to you in the long run. Where did they see your images ??. Most companies usually go straight to a stock site. You have obviously produced exactly what they were looking for so hopefully you may get some further work from them. As for pricing Chevvyf1 has made a good point. Good luck with the negotiations.

Do you recall "Red Adair" ... years ago he put out the BIGGEST OIL Well fire in 3 minutes ... at a cost of 4m ... and people said about his "cost per minute" ... he replied ... "a lifetime of learning and buying the best and right equipment means I can put that well head out in 3 mins ... and its not about the COST OF ME it is about the SAVINGS TO THE OIL COMPANY on alternatives ...

not verbatim but the gist of it ...

ERGO start with more than you shall accept - everyone wants to get a bargain ... you could throw in use in Newsletters and emails as "letterhead" image branding by Logo all for the sum of ... the new OMD :)

Stock prices are cheap :) think why do so many contract with a photographer for a "Bespoke shot" for their needs ?

Your Canal images are SUPERB ! and your post processing too :) they are not "walk by snapshots" - please do not devalue yourself :)

al_kaholik
7th September 2012, 08:29 AM
Congratulations Janet. Knowing nothing about this sort of thing and generally undercharging for everything I do/sell Id'd say listen to everyone and start high and know your threshold for acceptance

Seonnaidh
9th September 2012, 12:05 PM
For what it's worth I've been paid between 40.00 for a single image for a single use to
several hundred pounds for images being used throughout an organisations publicity media.
In the past I've asked a company what they are willing to pay. If they have suggested a
price which you find unacceptable then double waht they have offered and then take it from there.
Whatever you do, do not sell yourself or your work cheap.

LMGruchy
9th September 2012, 01:07 PM
What a boost, Janet. Well done.

gregles
9th September 2012, 04:01 PM
Good luck Janet, hope you get a tidy sum*yes

Pjphoto59
11th September 2012, 04:47 AM
Janet,

If you go to Alamy.com you can do a search for canal boat pictures. Click on one like yours and you will find there is a price calculator you can use.

In these hard times Alamy users have plenty of experience of images being licensed for prices well below the calculated amount, but it will give you an idea of what to ask.

Good luck.

Pjphoto59
11th September 2012, 05:06 AM
Janet,

To add to my previous mail, the Alamy prices vary according to usage, and I worked one out for you:

Usage - Corporate website
Duration - one year
Image Size - 280 pixels
Industry sector - Legal
Territory - Worldwide

Price - 35

They may use the image more than one time and maybe more than one size. If so, they pay additionally for each usage.

Hope this helps