PDA

View Full Version : Do I have an LCD problem, or am I just being stupid?

Dick Bowman
3rd December 2007, 07:58 PM
Straight-out-of-the-box E3.

When I have the LCD folded out it seems to work properly (menus when I press the menu button, picture reviews, all that stuff).

But if I fold it back so that it's flush with the camera (and the way the illustrations in the manual show) - it blanks out just before it reaches the flush position.

When it's in the flush position I see nothing on it - aside from a brief display when I turn the camera on ending with "dust reduction" - then it goes blank. The menu/info buttons don't work in this position...

Three possibilities (that I can think of)...

[0] I am missing something blindingly obvious
[1] I have a faulty E3
[2] It's designed to work that way (which I find hard to believe).

Any ideas? Or does it go back to the shop?

beardedwombat
3rd December 2007, 08:14 PM
Sounds like a back-to-the-shop job but one thing you could try is to change the lcd brightness setting. In the menu under custom tab 2, try switching from auto to a manual setting - you never know, it may kickstart something!
Cheers
Chris

RogerMac
3rd December 2007, 08:28 PM
Straight-out-of-the-box E3.

When I have the LCD folded out it seems to work properly (menus when I press the menu button, picture reviews, all that stuff).

But if I fold it back so that it's flush with the camera (and the way the illustrations in the manual show) - it blanks out just before it reaches the flush position.

When it's in the flush position I see nothing on it - aside from a brief display when I turn the camera on ending with "dust reduction" - then it goes blank. The menu/info buttons don't work in this position...

Three possibilities (that I can think of)...

[0] I am missing something blindingly obvious
[1] I have a faulty E3
[2] It's designed to work that way (which I find hard to believe).

Any ideas? Or does it go back to the shop?

Check that you have not turned off the display via the info button extract from the manual:

Press the INFO button to display the super
control panel on the LCD monitor.
Press the INFO button again to turn off the super
control panel.
Press the i button during live view to display the
super control panel.

Dick Bowman
3rd December 2007, 08:36 PM
Thanks - I'd tried that without success. Tried again - still nothing.

Invicta
3rd December 2007, 08:57 PM
Does live view work when the LCD is in this position?

Under the LCD screen press the button to the right of the button marked menu (the one marked with two lines with a screen shape between them)

The mirror should lock up and the view displayed on the LCD.

RogerMac
3rd December 2007, 09:04 PM
Thanks - I'd tried that without success. Tried again - still nothing.

Can you see if the LCD switches off when the display is closed face into the camera? If it does not then I suspect that a sensing switch has been fitted back to front.

In any event it seems to be a guarantee repair is needed.

Dick Bowman
3rd December 2007, 09:07 PM
Everything seems to work as expected if the LCD is folded out - but it turns off visually just before becoming flush and the buttons appear to be dead at that point (if Live View is on it seems to do its clicky thing as I fold the LCD back in).

I'm not sure how the camera senses the LCD position - it rather seems as if it's doing what it should do if the display faces inward, but does it with the display facing out as well.

I have a talent for finding the one item that creeps past the QC inspectors.

Invicta
3rd December 2007, 09:18 PM
Mine will switch off live view if I close it so the LCD is facing inwards so it sounds like there is a switch and some how is the wrong way round on your camera :eek:

Dick Bowman
5th December 2007, 05:33 PM
Thanks again to all who replied.

Update is that LCE Strand agreed that it looked like a fault and have exchanged; with any luck I now have a properly-functioning E3 waiting to go for a day out.

Now I shall see whether I can master the "get a grip" process...