PDA

View Full Version : Just joined OMD user

Weldingblues
29th August 2012, 07:15 PM
Hi all,
Some of you will know me from other forums (CoDa), but have decided to swap to an OMD for convenience, amongst other things.

I have the black body and 12-50mm kit lens at moment, but looking at mid to long reach lenses shortly.

Any suggestions to help with the decisions regarding lenses would be appreciated.

Alpha1
30th August 2012, 07:59 AM
I am new here too, so a big welcome to you. I know that we are going to enjoy it here.

StephenL
30th August 2012, 08:24 AM
Welcome! You'll find that everyone has their favourite lenses, often in conflict :D , so enjoy!

Greytop
30th August 2012, 08:40 AM
Welcome Weldingblues :)
I seem to remember you were a member of the Pentax User forum?

Long lenses, currently your choices would be m4/3rds Oly 75-300 or Lumix 100-300. Alternatively with an adapter the options are vast (with manual focus).
You could also consider 4/3rds again with an adapter with relatively slow autofocus (with the E-M5). The Oly 4/3rds 50-200 (f/2.8-3.5) is a fantastic lens and equally fantastic when used with the EC-14.

Bikie John
30th August 2012, 08:41 AM
Welcome aboard. If you follow the discussions (the a "today's posts" tab under Quick Links is useful) for a few days you will pick up lots of discussions of all sorts of lenses. And, as Stephen says, opinions do not always point in the same direction!

If you would like to solicit some more opinions, it would help to have an idea of where your photographic interests lie. Macro? Portraiture? Architecture? Landscape? Nature? Action? Between us we cover a lot of different things.

Good shooting ... John

Bikie John
30th August 2012, 08:48 AM
Sorry, just spotted that you mentioned medium to long lenses. I can't add much to what Huw (Greytop) said, except that we seem to have a lot of fans of the Panasonic/Leica 14-140mm. Which I suppose counts as short to medium-long.

Ciao ... John

ayewing
30th August 2012, 10:08 AM
Welcome to an old friend, there seems to have been quite a migration from Pentax recently. Being fairly new here myself I am still learning about the complexities of the Olympus system so I shall not make any suggestions about lenses.

This is a very friendly forum and I am sure that get a lot of help as you come to terms with your new system.

Ian
30th August 2012, 10:36 AM
It's always a pleasure to welcome another new member and one reasonably close to home as well - in Bedfordshire; we're just next door in Herts :)

Hope our lens/camera and accessory hire service will also be of interest! :D

Ian

Weldingblues
30th August 2012, 12:23 PM
Thanks to all for the comments, Huw yes that was/is me, Archie, I have taken the plunge.

Now to sell off slowly all my Pentax gear.

wellyboot
30th August 2012, 05:43 PM
Sorry, just spotted that you mentioned medium to long lenses. I can't add much to what Huw (Greytop) said, except that we seem to have a lot of fans of the Panasonic/Leica 14-140mm. Which I suppose counts as short to medium-long.

Ciao ... John

I would concur that the 14-140mm lens is indeed very nice, however finances dictate I need to sell mine :(, to fund the purchase of the OMD. But it's one I will definitely miss!!
Oh, and welcome, I am a new member having just got an OMD myself!!

jamsa
30th August 2012, 06:05 PM
I have the 12-50 but also now the panasonic 100-300..its cheaper than the Olympus 75-300 but it feels sturdy and is faster to lock focus than the 70-300 4/3rds I had before.
its a good start...

Zuiko
30th August 2012, 07:46 PM
Hello, and welcome.

If you want a medium tele-zoom with a fast aperture it's worth mentioning that Panasonic should soon be releasing a 35-100mm f2.8 constant aperture lens (70-200mm equivalent) but it will be expensive!