PDA

View Full Version : E-M5 'Focus lock-on parameters' equivalent?

drmarkf
29th August 2012, 07:33 AM
Please can anyone tell me if there's a way of adjusting how the continuous autofocus system treats sudden and temporary large changes in focus?

In my D300 Nikon calls this the 'Focus lock-on parameters' adjustment. You can change it between Long, Normal and Short (or Off) - the main use for 'Long' is when, say, panning to follow a racing car going past your position in the grandstand, and there are grandstand roof supports intermittently between you and the car. The 'Long' setting makes the autofocus system stay tracking the car when the interrupting objects are quite small.

Experience demonstrates that the default setting on the E-M5 is quite short.

StephenL
29th August 2012, 08:53 AM
I've not come across such as setting - yet!

drmarkf
29th August 2012, 06:56 PM
Yeah, so it seems (but I thought it worth asking in case there's something hidden away in a submenu somewhere!).

For this and other focusing-related reasons I'll not be selling my D300 yet, but I shall get rid of its standard and wide-angle zooms since I'll happily be carrying the E-M5 as a second body to cover those focal lengths.

davidfarquhar
29th August 2012, 09:32 PM
No such setting. Lenses with the L-Fn button (12-50, are there any others?) can have "AF Stop" assigned to this button. In theory you have to know when you are about to pan past a grandstand, but it might help a bit.

If only the ultimately customisable camera could have every button able to do every function listed on pages 93-94 of the manual. There is surely no reason why other buttons on the camera body couldn't be assigned to AF Stop?

Ulfric M Douglas
30th August 2012, 05:58 AM
I don't believe Olympus has enabled 'thinking' of anything like that level in any of its cameras ... ever : hence why C-AF has never seemed to work properly.
I'm guessing their new 'solution' to 4/3rds lenses might have a proper system copied wholesale from another manufacturer : it would be nice.

drmarkf
30th August 2012, 07:16 AM
No such setting. Lenses with the L-Fn button (12-50, are there any others?) can have "AF Stop" assigned to this button. In theory you have to know when you are about to pan past a grandstand, but it might help a bit.

Yes, thanks. I have been pre-focussing on the track, then panning as the car comes past and tripping the shutter at the appropriate point, but its certainly not as reliable as the Nikon follow-focussing system. It also doesn't work for wildlife, when you can't predict where the little brown birds are going to move to next...

drmarkf
15th September 2012, 12:52 PM
As a sort of follow-up to this, I had quite good success with the E-M5 and m4/3 40-150 at a karting event last week, where a friend's son was competing. I was panning using single centre spot CF autofocus on the Fn1 button, with the default sized focus spot and IF off.

I got quite a high proportion of in-focus images while standing close to the track, and this was not noticeably different from the proportion I've come to expect with my Nikon D300 and 70-200 f2.8 Nikkor and is miles better than I used to get with the E-PL2 and the same lens.

However, I tried a few images with the panny 100-300 and this seems less successful (although I need to take more, and there may be an element of practice needed).

Both lenses on the E-M5 are much too-sensitive in 'focus-lock-on', though.

A couple of quick examples -

http://i48.tinypic.com/2zgrjeu.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/t53le8.jpg

Ulfric M Douglas
15th September 2012, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the update.
I can guess, but please explain this again ;
Both lenses on the E-M5 are much too-sensitive in 'focus-lock-on', though.
*chr

drmarkf
15th September 2012, 07:45 PM
The problem occurs when you're panning following some moving object (usually a car for me) and some irrelevant object close to you comes between you and the object you're following.

If the lock on period is too short, the lens will try to switch focus to the near object immediately.

If the lock on period's just right, the lens won't try to switch unless the object is quite wide and stays in the focus area for some time.

I hope that's clear!

peak4
15th September 2012, 09:03 PM
Please can anyone tell me if there's a way of adjusting how the continuous autofocus system treats sudden and temporary large changes in focus?

In my D300 Nikon calls this the 'Focus lock-on parameters' adjustment. You can change it between Long, Normal and Short (or Off) - the main use for 'Long' is when, say, panning to follow a racing car going past your position in the grandstand, and there are grandstand roof supports intermittently between you and the car. The 'Long' setting makes the autofocus system stay tracking the car when the interrupting objects are quite small.

Experience demonstrates that the default setting on the E-M5 is quite short.

I believe the setting you are looking for is referred to as CF-LOCK on Olympus cameras. Unfortunately the E-M5 doesn't have it; neither do the E-P1 & 2, though I can't speak for any of the other PENs.
The E-620, E-3 & 5 do have the facility, but the E-420 doesn't. I haven't bothered looking through any of the other manuals.
I'm pretty sure you can only set it to Off or On, rather than long normal or short.

drmarkf
16th September 2012, 06:54 AM
Many thanks - one can only hope for it being included in v1.3 of the firmware!

I'm not holding my breath, though.