PDA

View Full Version : New E-M5 .... Let's get all the moaning done first!

Zuiko
24th August 2012, 12:05 AM
I finally found time this evening to sit down undisturbed with my new acquisition, in front of the computer with the pdf instruction manual. I can appreciate the lack of a paper manual on environmental grounds, but by the time they have printed the “Basic Manual” (very basic, with helpful tips like don’t swallow the batteries) in every language in the known Universe, they could have printed the full version in just one language using less paper.

One of my first jobs was to switch the Super Control Panel on. It bemuses me why this should even be necessary; can you think of any reason why you wouldn’t want it? It’s a bit like buying a new car and needing to turn on the dashboard display or making Windows visible on a new PC. Next job was to turn Live Guides and Mode Guides off. On a 1000 semi-pro camera? Really? Then, before it got overlooked, I turned off the warm bias for AWB – err, isn’t that what the custom settings are for?

I can understand needing to configure button and dials as we all have individual preferences for this, same as what info is displayed in Record View and for how long. The number of options and possible customisations for this camera is awesome in the true meaning of the word and sometimes more than a little bewildering. Why is it then that Auto Exposure Bracketing apparently has no shortcut, does not feature on the SCP and cannot be assigned to one of the configurable buttons, or have I missed something? It took 15 button presses, if I counted correctly, to scroll the menus, select 3 frames @ +/- 0.7 EV and return to shooting mode. To me it would be a far more useful option than, say, quick WB adjustment, given the huge control over WB when processing raw files. It wouldn’t matter if you were shooting at 5600K and really needed 3300K, just move the slider in pp and it’s job done.

I also found it curious that there doesn’t appear to be a volume adjustment for the focus confirmation “beep,” it’s either on or off. I’m sure that even my E-PL1 allows volume adjustment. It’s a shame, particularly considering how quiet the shutter is.

So I’ve got a new (to me) camera and all I can do is whinge. Not at all, most of the issues I have come up against so far are minor points, just nit-picking really. It’s far easier to concentrate on the problems of the E-M5 rather than the advantages, because I can list them all on a page instead of needing to write a book! Just one example of a really nice touch is how the image viewed in the EVF can be configured either as full screen, with information overlay, or inset within a frame with the info outside the image area. This has particular advantages for me, as a glasses wearer, because it enables me to see all four corners of the image simultaneously.

It’s early days yet, of course, and I’m still becoming familiar with the handling. It’s really nice, however, to use a small camera without forever accidentally pressing the wrong button or accidentally moving a dial. Oh, and did I say it looks really neat with the Panasonic 14-45mm attached? I think I’m going to love the E-M5 as much as my old OM film cameras – after all, it is part of the same family!

Zuiko
24th August 2012, 12:29 AM
One more whinge I forgot - I had to delve into the menus to enable LSF JPEGs, rather than just LF. Once again, why would Olympus want to hide their best quality JPEGs? :confused:

Fitting the neck strap was also mighty difficult, but that one's down to me and my mate Parky, not Olympus! *laugh

Ross the fiddler
24th August 2012, 05:09 AM
Congratulations on getting your E-M5. I'm sure you will love it, despite little things that could have been different. It is good with the guides for knew users coming up from compact cameras & wanting a really decent camera even if you & I don't want them. As they learn they can grow with more options available in the camera. Don't forget, the 'warm' bias is only for incandescent AWB (according to the manual p. 90).

When you set your option for the 4 way keys, I have mine set to direct function (to have more direct function keys) which still allows focus point selection with one button push instead (followed by dials if desired) with Drive Mode set for down [v] & ISO for the right key [>] with the default left key [<] being to select the focus point [...] & the up key [^] to exp. compensation [+/-] (as seen in the manual on the bottom of page 94) & all these can then be quickly selected with front & back dials (or the 4 way keys if that takes your fancy). BTW, the Bracketing can also be selected quicker with the dials too (instead of all those button pushes ;)). I have left AEL (AFL) on [fn 1] (with AEL set to Spot Metering & AFL to Mode 3 for MF), Multi Function on [fn 2] with Magnify usually left last selected, but generally use the 'Touch to Focus' function to change the focus point size & since I only do video recording on the odd occasion, I set the record (O) button to MF (toggle). I think I've got mine set reasonably to how I best like it, including adjusting the colour cast in the EVF to match the display better (for me).

I have gone to a lot of explanation in this, not because you need it but for others that have recently got the E-M5 to read it too. *yes :D

One more whinge I forgot - I had to delve into the menus to enable LSF JPEGs, rather than just LF. Once again, why would Olympus want to hide their best quality JPEGs :confused:?

Fitting the neck strap was also mighty difficult, but that one's down to me and my mate Parky, not Olympus! *laugh

Not another whinge! :rolleyes: Funny, Pom & whinge seems to go together like..... :p ;) (don't forget my father was a Pom too & I learn well ;))

Oh yes, the LSF & LF subject. Probably the same reason why their software doesn't include LSF either.

Well at least your mate Parky & 5 axis IBIS should get on well. *yes

I wish you all the very best with this John & hope you have lots of enjoyment out of it.

*chr

snaarman
24th August 2012, 06:43 AM
Yes, it took me three attempts (and two batteries) going right through the menus and checking every setting to get the beast how I wanted it. I eventually wrote all the settings down in an Excel file in case I forgot them...

Even now I occasionally tweak something slightly and save the result in one of the "my favourite settings" (I stil wish you could name them somehow)

Anyway, well done and get stuck in to making pictures once you have the settings refined :-)

Pete

andym
24th August 2012, 06:53 AM
Just wait until the battery runs out,that will really make you mad.;);)

When you've got the camera set how you want it save the settings in a Myset,easy to get them back again when you change one thing and it seems to do about 10 others at the same time(done it a few times).
Shame it's not possible to custom name the Mysets,my moan.

Looking forward to some results.

Bikie John
24th August 2012, 08:41 AM
And don't forget that when you upgrade the firmware there is a good chance that you will lose all the customisations. I try to write them all down, but when you are blundering around with an unfamiliar camera trying to set it how you like it, it's easy to overlook a few things.

As a matter of interest John, since you say you shoot raw, why do you want large JPEGs as well? I found that at LSF they were eating the disks and now shoot raw plus medium super-fine JPEG. Then I've got the JPEG for when it works and it's a manageable size to send around, and full-sized raw files for when they need work.

Ciao ... John

StephenL
24th August 2012, 11:53 AM
Once you've mastered the steps involved, you can save one of the Mysets to be AEB. The real difficulty lies in remembering which one you've set it to ....

PS for once, I didn't lose any customisations when I upgraded the firmware. Most un-Olympus-like! Unless the firmware upgrade didn't work properly ...

Zuiko
24th August 2012, 11:58 AM
Once you've mastered the steps involved, you can save one of the Mysets to be AEB. The real difficulty lies in remembering which one you've set it to ....

PS for once, I didn't lose any customisations when I upgraded the firmware. Most un-Olympus-like! Unless the firmware upgrade didn't work properly ...

Yes, that seems to be the only way to quickly access AEB. I've set up Mymode 1 as a sort of grab shot mode, including 3 shots +/- 0.7 EV AEB. For the time being I'm sticking to just the one Mymode, then there will be no confusion. :D

wellyboot
24th August 2012, 12:25 PM
Glad to see you're getting your head around it Zuiko!
We have just been down to our local nature reserve to grab some Dragonfly shots.
Mine look good on the OLED, but the real test is to load them on to the computer which I will do later.
I have to say that the handling was great, as was the weight. So a very happy bunny here.
Oh and thanks for the tips Ross!

Zuiko
24th August 2012, 02:29 PM
Congratulations on getting your E-M5. I'm sure you will love it, despite little things that could have been different. It is good with the guides for knew users coming up from compact cameras & wanting a really decent camera even if you & I don't want them. As they learn they can grow with more options available in the camera. Don't forget, the 'warm' bias is only for incandescent AWB (according to the manual p. 90).

When you set your option for the 4 way keys, I have mine set to direct function (to have more direct function keys) which still allows focus point selection with one button push instead (followed by dials if desired) with Drive Mode set for down [v] & ISO for the right key [>] with the default left key [<] being to select the focus point [...] & the up key [^] to exp. compensation [+/-] (as seen in the manual on the bottom of page 94) & all these can then be quickly selected with front & back dials (or the 4 way keys if that takes your fancy). BTW, the Bracketing can also be selected quicker with the dials too (instead of all those button pushes ;)). I have left AEL (AFL) on [fn 1] (with AEL set to Spot Metering & AFL to Mode 3 for MF), Multi Function on [fn 2] with Magnify usually left last selected, but generally use the 'Touch to Focus' function to change the focus point size & since I only do video recording on the odd occasion, I set the record (O) button to MF (toggle). I think I've got mine set reasonably to how I best like it, including adjusting the colour cast in the EVF to match the display better (for me).

I have gone to a lot of explanation in this, not because you need it but for others that have recently got the E-M5 to read it too. *yes :D

Not another whinge! :rolleyes: Funny, Pom & whinge seems to go together like..... :p ;) (don't forget my father was a Pom too & I learn well ;))

Oh yes, the LSF & LF subject. Probably the same reason why their software doesn't include LSF either.

Well at least your mate Parky & 5 axis IBIS should get on well. *yes

I wish you all the very best with this John & hope you have lots of enjoyment out of it.

*chr

Thanks Ross, I hadn't considered that using the dials to navigate the menus is quicker that pushing buttons, but it is! *chr

I've set up somewhat differently than you; fn1 = Mymode, fn2 = ISO, (O) = DOF Preview, <> = focus point, front dial =exposure compensation, back dial = shutter/aperture depending on the mode selected. Just shows how configurable the camera is, covering the individual requirements for virtually everyone.

Zuiko
24th August 2012, 02:36 PM
Shame it's not possible to custom name the Mysets,my moan.

That would make good sense! At the moment I have only set up one Myset, so there is less chance of confusion. :)

Zuiko
24th August 2012, 02:39 PM
As a matter of interest John, since you say you shoot raw, why do you want large JPEGs as well? I found that at LSF they were eating the disks and now shoot raw plus medium super-fine JPEG. Then I've got the JPEG for when it works and it's a manageable size to send around, and full-sized raw files for when they need work.

Ciao ... John

Good point John. I mainly, but not always shoot raw. For those times when I choose to shoot JPEG only I prefer to have the highest quality/lowest compression. When I shoot raw?JPEG I do use a much smaller JPEG file. :)

Bikie John
24th August 2012, 02:42 PM
Good point John. I mainly, but not always shoot raw. For those times when I choose to shoot JPEG only I prefer to have the highest quality/lowest compression. When I shoot raw?JPEG I do use a much smaller JPEG file. :)

Ah - makes perfect sense, thanks. I wondered if there was something I was missing.

Good suggestion for dof preview on the video button. I haven't assigned that one yet, was thinking about toggling MF on & off but this sounds better.

Ciao ... John

Zuiko
24th August 2012, 02:50 PM
Glad to see you're getting your head around it Zuiko!
We have just been down to our local nature reserve to grab some Dragonfly shots.
Mine look good on the OLED, but the real test is to load them on to the computer which I will do later.
I have to say that the handling was great, as was the weight. So a very happy bunny here.
Oh and thanks for the tips Ross!

You're one step ahead of me, Welly, you're actually using it! :D

Gwyver
24th August 2012, 03:14 PM
Yes, that seems to be the only way to quickly access AEB. I've set up Mymode 1 as a sort of grab shot mode, including 3 shots +/- 0.7 EV AEB. For the time being I'm sticking to just the one Mymode, then there will be no confusion. :D

John,
I used to have my E3 set by default to AEB with 3x 0.3EV because I used to get such a lot of blown highlights. (No doubt this was due to poor operator technique), however...
Now I find that the E-M5's extra DR, and the ability to pre-check a histogram in the EVF means that the blown highlight problem is pretty much eliminated and I can get a usably exposed shot with one click. This has the benefit of drastically reducing the number of images to review when I subsequently run the RAW files through Lightroom.

So, even though the E-M5 battery capacity is lower than the E3, I can still capture a similar number of different images as previously.

smartwombat
24th August 2012, 04:38 PM
John, you make me feel like a camera pusher - buying this so soon after trying mine!

Westy
24th August 2012, 05:17 PM
Whilst we are on the subject of camera settings. is it possible to lock the focus point to just the centre one? As I keep accidentally moving it and then not realising for a number of shots.

Zuiko
24th August 2012, 06:07 PM
John,
I used to have my E3 set by default to AEB with 3x 0.3EV because I used to get such a lot of blown highlights. (No doubt this was due to poor operator technique), however...
Now I find that the E-M5's extra DR, and the ability to pre-check a histogram in the EVF means that the blown highlight problem is pretty much eliminated and I can get a usably exposed shot with one click. This has the benefit of drastically reducing the number of images to review when I subsequently run the RAW files through Lightroom.

So, even though the E-M5 battery capacity is lower than the E3, I can still capture a similar number of different images as previously.

Chris, that's sound reasoning and makes a lot of sense. :)

Zuiko
24th August 2012, 06:11 PM
John, you make me feel like a camera pusher - buying this so soon after trying mine!

Not your fault, Paul, it was an accident waiting to happen! :)

My daughter is still incensed that I'm planning to sell the E-3, I think her plan was to wait until I wasn't able to handle it any more then claim it for herself! :rolleyes:

StephenL
24th August 2012, 07:13 PM
Whilst we are on the subject of camera settings. is it possible to lock the focus point to just the centre one? As I keep accidentally moving it and then not realising for a number of shots.

Not as such, but if you move the Info screen to another view which doesn't show the focus point, then I don't think you can accidentally press the up-down-left-right arrows, which I presume is what you're doing.

An alternative is to reassign those arrows to other functions.

wellyboot
24th August 2012, 09:28 PM
Not as such, but if you move the Info screen to another view which doesn't show the focus point, then I don't think you can accidentally press the up-down-left-right arrows, which I presume is what you're doing.

I know I didn't ask the question, but I was wondering about it myself, so thank you for the tip about reassigning the arrows Stephen!!

Westy
24th August 2012, 09:44 PM
Thanks Stephen, will have a look at that tomorrow, seeing as the Monsoon season has returned to Lancashire for the weekend.

Ross the fiddler
25th August 2012, 01:27 AM

I started out having the 4 way keys assigned to focus position but now appreciate how much more useful the 4 function keys are, so apart from having four function keys it also adds that safeguard to accidently pressing one of the buttons that would move the focus point. It is quick to press the left first to follow which ever direction you want afterwards, but I find the wheels get there quicker (once in that mode). Also, as I said earlier, the 'touch to focus' facility is even better (because the 'touch to shoot' method isn't always ideal, especially with slower focussing 4/3's lenses).

Ross the fiddler
25th August 2012, 01:39 AM
Thanks Ross, I hadn't considered that using the dials to navigate the menus is quicker that pushing buttons, but it is! *chr

I've set up somewhat differently than you; fn1 = Mymode, fn2 = ISO, (O) = DOF Preview, <> = focus point, front dial =exposure compensation, back dial = shutter/aperture depending on the mode selected. Just shows how configurable the camera is, covering the individual requirements for virtually everyone.

I'm just used to using the wheels on the E30 for navigating the menus, so it was a natural move to the E-M5 for that.

It is good how we can tailor this camera quite differently to suit so many styles of use. *yes I haven't used DoF monitoring much at all, even though I had the dedicated button on the E30 (which would be better on the E5 being programmable for other functions). The DoF would make sense on the (O) button as the MF can be easily accessed from the SCP (with touch screen) if needed. There are a whole lot of different ways to access the functions on this camera that they can be overlooked sometimes.

StephenL
25th August 2012, 06:41 AM
Actually I've kept the arrows unassigned, for the simple reason that I'd forget what I reassigned them TO if I did that ...

Ross the fiddler
25th August 2012, 07:14 AM
Actually I've kept the arrows unassigned, for the simple reason that I'd forget what I reassigned them TO if I did that ...

Yes, I've had to remind myself a couple of times, but if you use them enough you'll soon learn them as well as your favourite phone number. ;)

Greytop
25th August 2012, 09:26 PM
Congratulations John it's a fantastic camera :)
I've not been posting much of late mainly because I've been away on hols putting my E-M5 to intensive use :)

Zuiko
25th August 2012, 10:05 PM
Congratulations John it's a fantastic camera :)
I've not been posting much of late mainly because I've been away on hols putting my E-M5 to intensive use :)

Looking forward to the pictures. *chr

dko22
26th August 2012, 11:42 AM

I think the next time I get a camera, I'll hire someone to fit the neck strap. For some reason I found this one even more impossible than usual.

David

StephenL
26th August 2012, 03:55 PM
I think the next time I get a camera, I'll hire someone to fit the neck strap. For some reason I found this one even more impossible than usual.

David

That's Y I only use a Y Strap :D They just clip on to one ring.

(except on my X10, for which I've bought a strap with pre-fitted split rings)

snaarman
26th August 2012, 04:51 PM
That's why I hang all my cameras by one ear from a Snaarstrap. Just attach one split ring, open the carabiner to remove the camera to use at ground level. Hmm. I should patent the thing :)

Pete

Nick Temple-Fry
26th August 2012, 05:15 PM
Must admit to being depressed by this thread

So far all we seem to have got is that the menus are a bit fiddly to set up, and maybe the small size of the camera makes fitting the strap a bit harder than it was on an E-3.

Come on John, some of us really want to know that the camera has major problems. We are relying on you to moan properly.

Nick

snaarman
26th August 2012, 05:57 PM
I feel I must help John out. Clearly this camera is deeply flawed and it's owners are too embarrassed to admit their mistake. I am just the same. I continue to use the E-M5 in preference to my E-PL3 and E-1 purely to justify the expensive mistake I made when I bought it.

You may also note the E-M5 is still pulling in 3% of the camera views on Dpreview even 3 months after launch. This unheard of interest is caused by us owners re-reading the review trying to work out just why we bought the wretched thing...

There. How's that. Feel better?

StephenL
26th August 2012, 06:26 PM
Well, I'm thoroughly peed off with mine. So much so, I've dug out the disposable film cameras out of the car glove box, peeled off the Worthers Originals, and shall be using those instead. Bound to get better results!

Zuiko
26th August 2012, 08:36 PM
I'm trying my best to find something to have a real good bitch about, but so far - nothing! :(

Oh, how about this ...... only 352 shots from two batteries today, one of them a third party. :(

smartwombat
26th August 2012, 08:53 PM
were you chimping?
did you have IS on shutter half-press?
did you have AF continuous?
did you have EVF auto switching on?
did you have the camera resting against your shirt- turning on the evf?

Bill Gordon
26th August 2012, 08:57 PM
Must admit to being depressed by this thread

So far all we seem to have got is that the menus are a bit fiddly to set up, and maybe the small size of the camera makes fitting the strap a bit harder than it was on an E-3.

Come on John, some of us really want to know that the camera has major problems. We are relying on you to moan properly.

Nick

I agree Nick...I don't have the camera yet but my suggestion is for someone who does have it to post "How great this OMD is over all the others"...

Kees
26th August 2012, 09:15 PM
It's almost impossible to identify any real flaws because the thing is just too d**** small!

Nick Temple-Fry
26th August 2012, 11:25 PM
Come on Lads (and Ladies), there is nothing here that'll get the bedroom ceiling painted.

Surely you can do better than this.

Nick

Zuiko
27th August 2012, 02:23 AM
were you chimping?
did you have IS on shutter half-press?
did you have AF continuous?
did you have EVF auto switching on?
did you have the camera resting against your shirt- turning on the evf?

Yes!
Yes!
No
Yes!
Yes!

I also had image playback set to display until cancelled by half pess of shutter button and I also walked around with the camera switched on a lot! It was virtually a worse case senario test and all things considered I didn't think either battery did too badly. I know I can make a battery last much longer if needs be, from the advice you gave me when we met up, Paul. :)

Zuiko
27th August 2012, 02:34 AM
I agree Nick...I don't have the camera yet but my suggestion is for someone who does have it to post "How great this OMD is over all the others"...

I suspect that would depress Nick even more! But hey, why not? :D

Got another full day's shooting tomorrow, hopefully I'll be able to post some pictures on Tuesday. :)

P.S. Today I was mmmm lovin' it! :)

Ross the fiddler
27th August 2012, 04:00 AM
I suspect that would depress Nick even more! But hey, why not? :D

Got another full day's shooting tomorrow, hopefully I'll be able to post some pictures on Tuesday. :)

P.S. Today I was mmmm lovin' it! :)

Looking forward to them John. *yes Stick it to him. :p

David Morison
27th August 2012, 07:09 AM
I have now customised all the available buttons/wheels to a set-up that suits my style as best as I can, but still have some gripes:

1. As the use of the IS needs to be sensibly applied and regularly switched why can't there be a button that can be assigned to it?

2. As I sometimes wish to apply changes whilst my eye is to the EVF this highlights the smallness and fiddlyness of a lot of the buttons.

3. I still can't find a technique that will allow me to take good shots of birds in flight on a regular basis as I can with the E5 - can the experts help here? No MF suggestions please.

4. Even on a landscape/architecture session, not involving lots of H Drive shots with few viewings, I still get through a battery every hour!

5. Still no sign of weatherproof SHG long telephoto primes on the horizon relegates the camera to a secondary role in wildlife situations - E5 still rules!

On the positive side I love the sensor and engine and although I am still not a fan of EVFs it works well using the histogram with the front wheel set to exposure compensation - a lot less mis-exposed shots.

Still a lot more to do though to make it a really user-friendly piece of kit.

David

snaarman
27th August 2012, 07:38 AM
Well, I'm planning to give the EM-5 an outing to Kinston Lacy today. It's going to be damp and overcast and I hope to report a bit more on the battery performance. Hope my snaps come out...

David Morison
27th August 2012, 08:23 AM
And another big gripe I forgot - the HLD-6. The extra handling ability is a boon, although with some FT lenses the vertical grip doesn't leave enough room for fat fingers. Battery use and changing is a farce! With the camera set-up to use the PBH battery first it makes sense to replace this every time it runs down, as to have to replace the camera battery necessitates the remove of the whole grip - not the sort of thing you want to do in a hurry or poor weather. So just replacing the PBH battery every time it runs down gives you no advantage in battery terms over a naked camera! To discard the HLD-6 battery (portrait) grip to still enable the use of the vertical grip only leads you to the same problem of having to remove the grip first before replacing the camera battery.

MENTAL!! Obviously designed by a non-thinking computer and marketed by something else non-thinking!

David

David Morison
27th August 2012, 08:44 AM
Oh, how about this ...... only 352 shots from two batteries today, one of them a third party. :(

At this rate I would need 6 batteries for a full day's wildlife shoot!

David

Ross the fiddler
27th August 2012, 08:50 AM
I have now customised all the available buttons/wheels to a set-up that suits my style as best as I can, but still have some gripes:

1. As the use of the IS needs to be sensibly applied and regularly switched why can't there be a button that can be assigned to it?

2. As I sometimes wish to apply changes whilst my eye is to the EVF this highlights the smallness and fiddlyness of a lot of the buttons.

3. I still can't find a technique that will allow me to take good shots of birds in flight on a regular basis as I can with the E5 - can the experts help here? No MF suggestions please.

4. Even on a landscape/architecture session, not involving lots of H Drive shots with few viewings, I still get through a battery every hour!

5. Still no sign of weatherproof SHG long telephoto primes on the horizon relegates the camera to a secondary role in wildlife situations - E5 still rules!

On the positive side I love the sensor and engine and although I am still not a fan of EVFs it works well using the histogram with the front wheel set to exposure compensation - a lot less mis-exposed shots.

Still a lot more to do though to make it a really user-friendly piece of kit.

David
Boy, you're pretty good at whinging. ;)

1. To change the IS, SCP is just fine & is also quickly accessed with the touch screen too.

3. Again the touch screen is good for changing the focus point position & size in the 'touch to focus' mode & may be useful for BIF, but if it is a clear sky, have all focus points on, but... sorry, I forgot your not in Australia. :p

And another big gripe I forgot - the HLD-6. The extra handling ability is a boon, although with some FT lenses the vertical grip doesn't leave enough room for fat fingers. Battery use and changing is a farce! With the camera set-up to use the PBH battery first it makes sense to replace this every time it runs down, as to have to replace the camera battery necessitates the remove of the whole grip - not the sort of thing you want to do in a hurry or poor weather. So just replacing the PBH battery every time it runs down gives you no advantage in battery terms over a naked camera! To discard the HLD-6 battery (portrait) grip to still enable the use of the vertical grip only leads you to the same problem of having to remove the grip first before replacing the camera battery.

MENTAL!! Obviously designed by a non-thinking computer and marketed by something else non-thinking!

David

Yeah, design of the battery arrangement could have been better thought out. There, I can whinge too. :rolleyes:

The work around for the HLD-6 & battery changes would be to use the grip battery first & then the body so the battery can be easily changed in the grip while there is still power left in the body battery, but the camera doesn't show which battery it is using, does it? There, another whinge. ;) *ohwell

StephenL
27th August 2012, 08:54 AM

David

Whilst I agree that some of your points are valid to you (but not to me), if I had as many gripes about a camera I would simply get rid and buy something else.

If photography is your hobby, it's no use using something which doesn't give you pleasure. If it's your living, then you need a product which can deliver the goods to your and your clients satisfaction.

David Morison
27th August 2012, 08:57 AM
Yeah, design of the battery arrangement could have been better thought out. There, I can whinge too. :rolleyes:

The work around for the HLD-6 & battery changes would be to use the grip battery first & then the body so the battery can be easily changed in the grip while there is still power left in the body battery, but the camera doesn't show which battery it is using, does it? There, another whinge. ;) *ohwell

The camera does indicate if the grip battery is in use but if you are restricted by practicalities to changing only that battery why do you need two? Bearing in mind the smaller size of the BLN-1 why couldn't we have had a battery grip arrangement as in the HLD-4?

David

Alpha1
27th August 2012, 09:02 AM
Well as a total "newbie" to the OM-D and m4/3rds, I can honestly say that so far, so good! I am not new to digital cameras having come out of the "film is best" closet some 10 years ago. :) I have been using full frame and APS-c sensor camera's for both competition and exhibition work.

I can honestly say that I had no problems in setting up my OM-D the way I like to use a camera. I used it yesterday on a 5 mile walk and neither I or the camera missed a shot. Yes I did have to scratch my old head a bit when I set it up as the menu system is very different from my Sony's or my Fuji X Pro 1, but it is fairly logical and some features are just superb.

It must be the most customisable camera ever designed!

The images are right up to scratch although I did find it very necessary to use the RAW option out of the currently available raw+jpg settings to get the finest images. My XPro1 has useable jpegs straight out of the camera, which is just as well as the raw conversion software available is mostly cr*p in my opinion!! :mad:

Just my two penneth worth on this thread.

David Morison
27th August 2012, 10:02 AM
Whilst I agree that some of your points are valid to you (but not to me), if I had as many gripes about a camera I would simply get rid and buy something else.

If photography is your hobby, it's no use using something which doesn't give you pleasure. If it's your living, then you need a product which can deliver the goods to your and your clients satisfaction.

I might have made it appear that I am totally dissatisfied with the E-M5 but I am not. As I said I love the sensor and it is for that reason plus the ruggedness and compactness that I still own it. But what could I possibly replace it with? I already have an E5 and I would wish to stay loyal to Olympus if I can. Any suggestions?

David

Ross the fiddler
27th August 2012, 10:06 AM
The camera does indicate if the grip battery is in use but if you are restricted by practicalities to changing only that battery why do you need two? Bearing in mind the smaller size of the BLN-1 why couldn't we have had a battery grip arrangement as in the HLD-4?

David

The compromise of making the grip with the two part option has to affect something & to have two batteries in the grip would have made it much bigger (check the length of the battery) which would have been out of proportion with the camera anyhow, so their two part option is probably still a good one (although I don't have one).

StephenL
27th August 2012, 10:13 AM
I might have made it appear that I am totally dissatisfied with the E-M5

David

You have!

Can I ask why you moved from your E-5 to the E-M5? Was it for weight reasons?

If it weren't for weight and size reasons I would probably still be with the E-3/5 genre of camera.

The only other suggestion I can make if you want to stick with Oly glass, and who can blame you, is the Panasonic GH2. But then you'd lose IS. But then, you don't like IS anyway, do you? The Panasonic sensor isn't as good as the E-M5, but it's not so far off - more like the E-5 at a guess. And of course, you'd be no better off for rapid focusing of regular 4/3 lenses.

David Morison
27th August 2012, 10:26 AM
I added the E-M5 to my collection because of the sensor and that has lived up to all my expectations, so any further move if I could afford it, would be to the same or better sensor equipped camera. I still use the E5 a lot for bird shots but in theory the E-M5 sensor should give me superior results in marginal light situations and with big crops. It is just that I can't seem to get the rest of the package to fit these requirements, perhaps it's just me. At least I am willing to admit that the purchase of the E-M5 was perhaps misguided and a bit hasty but now I have to make the best of it - something I am having a little difficulty with!

David

StephenL
27th August 2012, 10:31 AM
.... perhaps it's just me. At least I am willing to admit that the purchase of the E-M5 was perhaps misguided and a bit hasty but now I have to make the best of it - something I am having a little difficulty with!

David

But most of the rest of us are happy with our E-M5s. Sure, it has its foibles, but what camera doesn't? Just don't, please, p**s on our chips. :)

Ross the fiddler
27th August 2012, 11:36 AM
But most of the rest of us are happy with our E-M5s. Sure, it has its foibles, but what camera doesn't? Just don't, please, p**s on our chips. :)

Maybe he was just trying to live up to Nick's challenge. ;) :D

David Morison
27th August 2012, 01:30 PM

But if there are issues which may affect others should I keep quiet about them and let others find out for themselves. If this is so why are any reviews/opinions published at all and if an owner of an E-M5 is totally happy with their purchase and doesn't wish to know about "foibles" then why would they read this thread at all?

David

StephenL
27th August 2012, 01:47 PM
Of course you are quite right about reviews, other peoples experiences, etc. And I am the last person to suggest stifling these.

But this thread was started light-heartedly. I suggest it return to this theme.

snaarman
27th August 2012, 04:55 PM
I think the mini grip is essential, and the camera is just too small without it.

Yes. The battery is trapped underneath the grip which is a pin in the tripod.

However I find I can remove the grip, swap batteries and replace the grip in 40 seconds. Sure that is not the 7 seconds* it takes to swap batteries in the E-1 but hey it could be worse :)

Pete

*assuming the dead battery ends up ont he floor...

Nick Temple-Fry
27th August 2012, 11:41 PM
There was perhaps an element of humour in my request for moans.

I shall of course now restrict my attempts at humour to young people in badly driven cars who find fat men over fifty wearing shorts hilarious.

Nick

Ross the fiddler
28th August 2012, 12:33 AM

I shall of course now restrict my attempts at humour to young people in badly driven cars who find fat men over fifty wearing shorts hilarious.

Nick

I use to avoid old men in hats as they drove. Now I wear my flat cap. :rolleyes: But not shorts! :eek: (just a kilt for the odd appropriate social event *ohwell)

snaarman
28th August 2012, 07:29 AM
Nick

Hey. Perhaps we could have a special ironic font installed on the forum as a warning not to take a comment at face value.

So, Nick I can see you are not attracted to the dubious pleasures of a low noise compact format class leading camera, so whence now? A Sigma DSLR?

Pete

Alpha1
28th August 2012, 07:44 AM
Hey. Perhaps we could have a special ironic font installed on the forum as a warning not to take a comment at face value.
Pete

Pete, isn't that what the smiley's are for? ;)

tomphotofx
28th August 2012, 08:14 AM

Here is a guy Damian McGilliCuddy earns his living with photography and has stopped using his Nikon FF kit in favour of the OMD EM-5. His blog is well worth a read.

http://www.damianmcgillicuddy.com/journal/

Regards

Tom:)

David Morison
28th August 2012, 08:16 AM
I wholely agree with the need to maintain a friendly and lighthearted approach on this forum and I do find it probably the friendliest forum of all. We must however allow for serious debate as well, so long as it is not personalised in any way, which I don't think my comments on the E-M5 were. If anyone thinks I took the subject too seriously or posted any personal remarks then I apologise, I am enthusiastic about my equipment and my photography and see no reason not to be frank about issues such as this.

Regards

David

StephenL
28th August 2012, 08:26 AM
Here is a guy Damian McGilliCuddy earns his living with photography and has stopped using his Nikon FF kit in favour of the OMD EM-5. His blog is well worth a read.

http://www.damianmcgillicuddy.com/journal/

Regards

Tom:)

He certainly likes his 75mm! Just wish they'd hurry up and bring the 60mm out then I would have two lenses to lust over! ;)

Zuiko
28th August 2012, 09:31 AM
I wholely agree with the need to maintain a friendly and lighthearted approach on this forum and I do find it probably the friendliest forum of all. We must however allow for serious debate as well, so long as it is not personalised in any way, which I don't think my comments on the E-M5 were. If anyone thinks I took the subject too seriously or posted any personal remarks then I apologise, I am enthusiastic about my equipment and my photography and see know reason not to be frank about issues such as this.

Regards

David

Perhaps I should step in gently at this point, both as moderator and opening poster. This part of the mod's role is always a little difficult, when several friends on the forum start to rub each other up the wrong way.

It's true that I started this thread in a light-hearted way, essentially saying, "This camera isn't quite perfect and yes, it does have issues (doesn't that apply to any new camera?) but so far this is all I can find to grumble about. A bit like winning a million on the lottery then complaining it wasn't two million. :D

I can understand Stephen embracing this theme because, like the vast majority of E-M5 owners (myself included at this early stage) he is thrilled with the camrera and bowled over by its performance.

However, I do feel for David, too. He has invested a lot in this camera, not just financially but in terms of hope and expectation, too. Also, with so much doubt and uncertainty over the continuation of the DSLR line, it's a route he has not taken altogether willingly. As part of my general, casual approach to photography I attempt birds in flight perhaps two or three times a year, so if I find the E-M5 isn't quite up to it, no big deal. But imagine how I would feel if I found my camera didn't quite cut it for landscapes. David, being principally a wildlife/nature photographer is precisely in that position.

Yes, this thread was started rather tongue-in-cheek, but this isn't the first thread by any means to evolve or go off at a tangent. :rolleyes: Personally, I have no objection to David, or anyone else who wishes, to air more serious critisisms. And if someone should crack the secret of optimizing the camera for reliable, fast-moving focus-tracking please let us all know! :)

Greytop
28th August 2012, 07:44 PM
OK I'll chip in with some negatives...

The buttons could be considered a little on the small size and their action is squidgy (is that a word).

As David says battery life could be better and the grip is not conducive to body battery replacement, although in all other-ways it's an excellent addition to the camera.

My nose keeps smudging the beautiful 3" display (time for cosmetic surgery).

What else....

Well OK is not as good as a 4/3rds body for action / wildlife shots but it's absolutely not incapable, it just requires a little more effort, practice and a subject that offers good contrast.
Here (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22551) are a few relatively fast moving things in the air I captured at the weekend :)

Apart from that all is good, actually all is pretty amazing *yes

smartwombat
28th August 2012, 11:47 PM
The work around for the HLD-6 & battery changes would be to use the grip battery first & then the body so the battery can be easily changed in the grip while there is still power left in the body battery, but the camera doesn't show which battery it is using, does it? There, another whinge. ;)
Oh dear whinge over - of course it tells you.
There is an indicator "PBH" next to the battery icon to tell you if it's the power battery holder status or the internal status.
With the default priority set to use PBH first it's the ideal solution.
You don't lose images as the PBH battery goes flat because the internal battery takes over.
So it even works well with cheap clone batteries, because the genuine Olympus batteries are still worth their weight in unicorn poo.