PDA

View Full Version : Challenge #49 - Flight

Bikie John
23rd August 2012, 02:52 PM
The theme for the latest photo challenge is - Flight. I thought we might have had this before but couldn't find it in the challenges list so let's go with it.

Mods - could you sticky this please.

Interpret the theme however you like, your forum friends will be the judges of how well you did it. We have a fair few people who like to shoot birds and aeroplanes, some of our architectural wizards might depict a nice staircase, and I think the theme gives scope for more abstract interpretations.

Very basic rules are that entry is open to e-group members and must be shot and emailed to me between now and close of play Sunday 16th. September. I will put them up soon after and allow a week or so to vote. Files should be small enough for the Forum software to accept and contain full EXIF info.

Please email your entries to me at webmaster-jp@dsl.pipex.com . I will acknowledge receipt of entries, although it may take a few days. So if it's getting near the closing date and you haven't had confirmation please send me an email or a forum PM.

General rules:
-Max. 800 pixels in width or height
-Up to 512KB
-EXIF intact
-Taken by you on an E-series (4/3 or m4/3) camera between 23rd August and 16th. September 2012.
- email your entries to me at webmaster-jp@dsl.pipex.com and include your name, your forum moniker and a title for the picture.

Full rules:

1. Photos should be taken (dated in EXIF) between 23rd August and 16th. September 2012 inclusive and sent in during that period. Photos will be posted in the gallery soon after 16th. September. We will vote in the week following, results announced soon after voting closes. More reminders and details nearer the date.

2. You must be the photographer who created the picture in order to enter the challenge, and all entries must be visibly anonymous and should be sent to the challenge organiser. You must indicate (a) your real name, (b) your e-group forum name and (c) a title for your photo, in the email. Any entries that are not clearly identifiable and verifiable won't be entered into the challenge.

3. Entries to the challenge :-

Should contain no watermarks, distinguishing effects and no borders
Must be jpg format and no more than 800 pixels on the longest edge
Must have been taken on an Olympus E-* camera
Must have all EXIF data included for the organiser to verify.
Max file size to suit the gallery here is 512kb.

4. You need to be registered on e-group.uk.net forums to qualify for entry into the challenge. The organiser may also enter the challenge (the entries are anonymous and the organiser is trusted to record votes accurately).

5. Only one entry permitted per challenge please. But if you want to withdraw an entry or replace it with another that's OK, you must make it clear in an email to the challenge organiser before the closing date, also ensure the email contains clear instructions and (if required) your replacement picture.

6. Voting on the challenge:-

Any registered member of the e-group forum may vote, including those who submit entries.
Those who submit entries may vote for their own photo but are expected to allot their choices fairly on perceived merit.
Voters should list their three choices in order of preference, by display number and title to avoid confusion.
Points will be allotted as follows: three to first choice, two to second choice, one to third choice.

Good luck and enjoy the challenge .... John

timmypreston
23rd August 2012, 07:42 PM
A great subject choice! I'll be having ago at this one.

sponner
23rd August 2012, 08:22 PM
I will have a go if I can find the inspiration.

As an aside would it be better to not vote for your own entry?

I am not suggesting unfairness but I know it put me off from voting, even if you think your entry deserves a vote it doesn't seem right voting for your own?

Bikie John
23rd August 2012, 09:27 PM
As an aside would it be better to not vote for your own entry?

I am not suggesting unfairness but I know it put me off from voting, even if you think your entry deserves a vote it doesn't seem right voting for your own?

It's a bit tricky, but these are the rules as they have always been (*). I suppose one advantage is that you know how your own entry interprets the theme, whereas with somebody else's you might miss the point and not credit them accordingly. I think most people will do their best to be fair and quite possibly be more hesitant in voting for their own.

In the end, we just have to hope that we get lots of votes and the final result reflects the feelings of the group as a whole. And as has been said in another current thread, the result is as much about the opinions of the judges as any absolute quality of the work - if there were such a thing.

(*) I just copied and pasted them from a recent challenge, and I suspect that the same has been happening all the way back to the first - one way to achieve consistency!

Ciao ... John

buddha01
24th August 2012, 01:14 AM
Finally a challenge I can work with. ;)
One more question though. Lenses should be Olympus also or is it alloud to use other brands as well ( like in legacy lenses like Chinon Telephoto lenses, Opteka/Delamax lenses and such)?

Bikie John
24th August 2012, 08:31 AM
André - as far as I know any lens is OK as long as it's on an E-system body. I'm sure plenty of past entries have been shot with Panasonic 4/3 or m4/3 lenses, and all sorts of legacy lenses with adaptors.

Ian, mods - if this is wrong please can you put us on the right path pretty quickly.

Good luck ... John

Bikie John
26th August 2012, 08:56 AM
A quick bank holiday reminder - you've got three weeks to get your entries in.

Good shooting .... John

Bikie John
1st September 2012, 05:23 PM
Quick bump up the listings - you've got until two weeks tomorrow.

If you've sent an entry and I've not acknowledged it, please PM me.

Ciao ... John

Bikie John
7th September 2012, 10:58 AM
Another reminder - just over a week to go, and the lovely weather (at least in southern England) looks set for a few more days.

Good luck ... John

Bikie John
13th September 2012, 09:23 AM
Reminder - four days to get your entries in - I will accept entries until close of play on Sunday.

Thanks to those who have already entetred. We've had lots of planes, insects and birds recently so I hope to see a few more. If you've sent an entry and not received an acknowledgement please contact me via forum message.

Ciso ... John

Bikie John
16th September 2012, 06:07 PM
Final reminder - entries close tonight. I will include any that arrive in the inbox before breakfast tomorrow and will get the thread up for voting pretty soon. Just as a reminder, please email your entries to me at webmaster-jp@dsl.pipex.com .

I have acknowledged all the entries that I have received so far, so if you have sent one and not had a reply, please contact me by forum message. Or even flag it up on this thread.

Ciao ... John