PDA

View Full Version : New OMD owner

wellyboot
22nd August 2012, 02:59 PM
I just wanted to say hello, as a new OMD owner and also a newcomer to this forum.
I'm sure I will learn a lot from here, and also ask a lot of stupid questions (and that's nothing to do with me being a woman, more likely my age ;)!!)
I belong to some other UK photography forums, but thought I would give a go to a camera specific forum.
But whatever you do, please be gentle with me!! :)

Wee man
22nd August 2012, 03:19 PM
Hello again see other post.

StephenL
22nd August 2012, 05:01 PM
Welcome to the forum. Those of us with this wonderful camera are still learning how to get the most out of it, so ask away!

tomphotofx
22nd August 2012, 05:33 PM
Welcome to the forum, you'll find we are a very friendly bunch and very helpful too. I have only just got the EM-5 too, and am very pleased with it.

A couple of helpful links regarding the EM-5.

www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusem5

robinwong.blogspot.co.uk/p/olympus-om-d-e-m5-first-impressions.html

www.luminouslandscape.com/reviews/cameras/olympus_om_d_e_m5_review.shtml

www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_support_faqs.asp?id=1583

www.flickr.com/groups/2015564@N21/

Hope this helps, all the best.

Tom

wellyboot
22nd August 2012, 09:23 PM
Thank you for the welcome everyone!
And thank you for the links Tom, very useful!! :)

Zuiko
22nd August 2012, 10:16 PM
Welcome Welly!

I've just bought an E-M5, too, so we can learn together! Hopefully mine will arrive tomorrow.

We have quite a few ladies on this forum so you are in good company. :)

Ross the fiddler
23rd August 2012, 05:40 AM
And a welcome & g'day from me too. Have patience with the camera because there is quite a lot of customising that can be done with this model & we can give you hints along the way of things & settings that have helped us.

Welcome Welly!

I've just bought an E-M5, too, so we can learn together! Hopefully mine will arrive tomorrow.

We have quite a few ladies on this forum so you are in good company. :)

That sounds like great news John. I had to go & look for the thread when you got (bought) it.

*chr

Floribunda
23rd August 2012, 07:37 AM
More Girl Power! Great! :D
Welcome Welly, I will look forward to seeing some shots with your new purchase.

OM USer
23rd August 2012, 09:21 AM
Welcome Wellyboot.
I'm reasonably new to the forum as well, joining when I got my E-M5 as part of the pre-order rush. In fact this is my first Digital SLR (I am actually a long time Olympus OM film SLR user).

wellyboot
23rd August 2012, 04:07 PM
Thank you for the welcome everyone. You certainly are a friendly bunch! :)
I am slowly (very slowly!!;)) working out how to customise the OMD, although I have to say that the images I have taken without changing too much have looked very good, and I am thrilled to bits with it!
So once I have mastered the art of all that can be done I think I will be ecstatic!
Hopefully yours has arrived by now Zukio and you are busy playing!
I don't know about the girl power Flori - more like middle aged woman power in my case! ;)

Ross the fiddler
23rd August 2012, 10:40 PM
There is one suggestion that I would make here, & that is to save RAW as well as JPEG (Large Fine or Large Super Fine) as some adjustments are easily achieved from the RAW file if the JPEG isn't as you might like it. One little thing I have noticed is sometimes the Noise Filter, even set on Low will sometimes smear less detailed areas & this can be set to OFF from the RAW file in Olympus Viewer 2 afterwards if desired (or in other editing software programs).

John (Zuiko) is also discussing his new(ish) E-M5 too here in this thread. http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?p=183795#post183795

wellyboot
24th August 2012, 12:20 PM
Thanks Ross - that's a good tip, and I do need to teach myself how to adjust in RAW using Lightroom, so this will give me the push I need to do it!!

wellyboot
24th August 2012, 12:31 PM
This is probably the wrong place to ask, but I'm sure someone will put me right if it is!!
I have some Panasonic gear to sell, and really would rather avoid eBay. I am trying on Talk Photography at the moment, and have also tried AVForums, but there is little interest, and I guess I need a minimum number of posts to advertise here, so has anyone got any advice on where to try and sell please, as I really can't justify keeping it all (although I would love to keep as a back up!!)
Many thanks!

ayewing
24th August 2012, 02:53 PM
As you have made sufficient posts to qualify as a full member you can go ahead and post in the "For sale & wanted small ads" area.

Although a recent member I have found this to be a very pleasant forum that treats its members as grown-ups and seems blessedly free of petty restrictions.

Zuiko
24th August 2012, 02:53 PM
This is probably the wrong place to ask, but I'm sure someone will put me right if it is!!
I have some Panasonic gear to sell, and really would rather avoid eBay. I am trying on Talk Photography at the moment, and have also tried AVForums, but there is little interest, and I guess I need a minimum number of posts to advertise here, so has anyone got any advice on where to try and sell please, as I really can't justify keeping it all (although I would love to keep as a back up!!)
Many thanks!

Well, the minimum number of posts is 6 and you already have 8, so start selling! :D

Invicta
24th August 2012, 03:37 PM
Turning off face recognition was a great help for the way I use my OMD.

Some other useful tips in the article "Getting the most out of the Olympus E-M5"

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/9115179666/user-guide-getting-the-most-out-of-the-olympus-e-m5

wellyboot
24th August 2012, 03:42 PM
Thanks Archie and John! Will put adverts up later once our internet connection will upload photos of the gear to Flickr! I sometimes wonder if dial up would be quicker!! *zzz

wellyboot
24th August 2012, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the heads up Invicta. Much appreciated.

ayewing
24th August 2012, 03:52 PM
John,
I think I must have hit the submit button a fraction of a second ahead of you. Fortunately the advice we gave coincides!

Ross the fiddler
25th August 2012, 01:51 AM
Turning off face recognition was a great help for the way I use my OMD.

Some other useful tips in the article "Getting the most out of the Olympus E-M5"

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/9115179666/user-guide-getting-the-most-out-of-the-olympus-e-m5

I find it useful to leave on, but there is the odd occasion where the camera thinks it can see a face (quite amusing sometimes). It can always be changed in the SCP (Super Control Panel) & quickly, by using the touch screen & front wheel (the rear one moves to other functions in the SCP).

wellyboot
25th August 2012, 09:59 PM
I find it useful to leave on, but there is the odd occasion where the camera thinks it can see a face (quite amusing sometimes). It can always be changed in the SCP (Super Control Panel) & quickly, by using the touch screen & front wheel (the rear one moves to other functions in the SCP).

I uploaded some images to my computer yesterday, and was puzzled to keep seeing a white square until I realised it was face recognition!!
They were all photos of Dragonflies and Butterflies, and yet in several of the backgrounds, which were all hedgerows, the camera could make out a face!! I wish my imagination were as vivid!! :D