PDA

View Full Version : I've been asked to take photos at a naming ceremony...

Fearless Leader
22nd August 2012, 08:36 AM
...from what I can gather, this is a Christening by another name. As it's not in a church, (it's a village hall) I guess flash is permissible.

I've never done this, and people shots are not my thing. I'm not au fait with bouncing the flash light, for example. Any advice?

I'm quite nervous!

I have a macro lens, 14-42, 70-300, and 8mm fisheye. I reckon the only useful one there is the 14-42. I have the FL36 flash also.

I plan on getting there early to check the place out.

Any tips?

Wee man
22nd August 2012, 08:45 AM
Check on permission for flash etc and try to get help with crowd control? Was asked to help out at a wedding when at the last minute the official photogragher took ill biggest problem was getting shots without friends and family walking into shot.

al_kaholik
22nd August 2012, 08:52 AM
My experience of photographers at this type of thing is dress well and don't be afraid to ask people to move.

Perhaps speak to the parents beforehand so they are happy with you doing this and agree some "must have" shots.

The 14-42 shouldn't be too intrusive. Perhaps take a tripod so that you can take pics without using the flash during the more intimate parts of the ceremony?

wanderer
22nd August 2012, 09:45 AM
It may look large and intrusive but I've taken to using a Lastolite Ezybox over the Flashgun. It gives soft edges to the shadows which I think might be suitable for such an occasion.
http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-lastolite-ezybox-speed-lite-softbox/p1521595

If you do decide to go ahead with it, it would be one of the things to check with the parents beforehand.

sponner
22nd August 2012, 05:06 PM
I used a stofen omni bounce for a similar job, seemed to work quite well