PDA

View Full Version : Product Registration – ‘A Tale of Different Continents’

Summerbubbles
21st August 2012, 02:00 PM
Having discovered sometime ago that the Olympus English language websites world wide differ as to content I recently had occasion to access olympusamerica.com and I was surprised to find that I could still register an Olympus E-1 camera if I lived in either north or south America!

Consequently I wrote to Olympus UK as follows:

“Currently, if I lived in North or South America and I contacted olympusamerica.com I can register my Olympus E-1. However, because I live in the UK and I contact olympus.co.uk I cannot! Why not?”

Olympus UK replied as follows:

“I would advise for a camera registration to contact our registration team on: imaging.news@olympus-europa.com. Please note the registration of your camera will not validate the warranty of your camera, for this you need to keep your proof of purchase. In the meantime if you require any further information please feel free to contact us again.”

I replied as follows:

“I've tried to contact imaging.news@olympus-europa.com but I get the following reply if I try to send a message:

'We cannot find a match for this email address:

imaging.news@olympus-europa.com.

Please use an email address that looks like user@example.com or a nickname or a distribution list name from your BT Yahoo! contacts.'

Can you help by forwarding my message and cc it to me?”

Subsequently I received the following e-mail from Imaging.News@olympus-europa.com:

“This product is unfortunately older and therefore is not on the list of the products that can be registered.”

Not being deterred I replied as follows:

“Thank you for your reply.

I appreciate the E-1 is older and that it is not on the list of products that can be registered in the UK but as I have indicated it currently still can in North and South America! Can you please make enquiries and let me know why Olympus is operating a different registration policy depending upon where one lives.

As a member of the Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php) I am sure my fellow members would be interested to know the answer.”

Today I received the following reply:

“Olympus on different continents operates differently, we do not share the same registration system. These are internal policies of Olympus.”

Stewart G
21st August 2012, 02:55 PM
One thing I've always liked about Olympus is its English usage. On the America site, the description for the 18-180 lens says:
"The almighty lens can cover most of shooting scene."
Ya gotta love it!