PDA

View Full Version : OMD E5 But what lenses?

Seonnaidh
17th August 2012, 04:57 PM
Afternoon one and all.
I recently had quite a nice play with the Oly OMD at my local dealers and was smitten.
I am returning when they have an HLD 6 grip to see if that improves the handling.

Given that I really really want one what lenses would you guys go with?

My requirements would be for:
A general walk around lens and some primes.

Has anyone used the 4/3rds 12-60mm and/or the 4/3rds 70-300mm lens on the OM-D?

Brian sent me some full size images from his OM-D and I am truly impressed.

Your considered views please ladies and gents.

benvendetta
17th August 2012, 05:05 PM
Why not a selection of the better micro lenses rather than full 4/3? Focus speed will be better until Oly gets the adapter issue sorted.

snaarman
17th August 2012, 05:38 PM
The Panasonic 14-45 is not bad at all: It's small, quick to focus, feels well made, not expensive.

As to primes, well the 45mm f1.8 is the must have lens :)

Pete

jamsa
17th August 2012, 05:39 PM
I have used the 4/3rds 70-300 over the last couple of weeks at a wedding and at an historical re enactment event. The link is here ( http://youtu.be/I_XnGKnbig4 (watch it in high res)) and you will see a lot of the photos and inc the spitfire were taken at full 300 and hand held...I am very happy with results.
My only issue is with hunting for focus at anything moving fast and at the full 300.
I use the 70-300 with the 4/3 mmf2 adapter.Its a brilliant lens but I am just contemplating selling the lens and adpater on here so that i can move to the panny 100-300 or oly equivelant.

David M
17th August 2012, 09:24 PM
One reason I'm considering an OM-D is the 2 f/0.95 Nokton lenses. There's no Olympus or Panasonic m4/3 lenses that interest me.

Greytop
17th August 2012, 09:47 PM
My general walk around lens is the Panasonic 12-35 f/2.8, it's truly a quality optic and it's the lens that spends most time on my OM-D E-M5.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/E-M5_12-35.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/49102)

Primes, there are plently but I've gone for the 12, 25 and 45, of those three the Panasonic 'Leica' 25 f/1.4 is my favourite.
I intend to add the Oly 60mm macro if it's a good'un when it arrives on the scene.

ayewing
17th August 2012, 10:32 PM
Hi Huw,
I recognise your username from my Pentax days. I have recently switched to Olympus with an OM-D E-M5 and am building up a set of suitable lenses. I am interested in the Panasonic 12-35 lens as the kit lens that I got with the camera does have the limitation of a small maximum aperture most noticeably at the tele end.

Apart from the small matter of the substantial cost, the only negative aspects I have seen reported are softness in the corners and some purple fringing. Are these significant in real world use as distinct from pixel peeping?

Thanks for the nice picture of the lens on the OM-D. Do you find the grip essential? I never got on with grips in my Pentax days and as one of the reasons I switched to Olympus was the relative small size and weight of the camera. I would prefer not to bulk it up with a grip!

jamsa
17th August 2012, 10:41 PM
I use the grip all the time. The extra support vital for the longer lenses. I find the camera just so neat in the hand with it on or off though. I have large hands but not found this petite machine a problem.

Greytop
17th August 2012, 11:55 PM
Hi Huw,
I recognise your username from my Pentax days. I have recently switched to Olympus with an OM-D E-M5 and am building up a set of suitable lenses. I am interested in the Panasonic 12-35 lens as the kit lens that I got with the camera does have the limitation of a small maximum aperture most noticeably at the tele end.

Apart from the small matter of the substantial cost, the only negative aspects I have seen reported are softness in the corners and some purple fringing. Are these significant in real world use as distinct from pixel peeping?

Thanks for the nice picture of the lens on the OM-D. Do you find the grip essential? I never got on with grips in my Pentax days and as one of the reasons I switched to Olympus was the relative small size and weight of the camera. I would prefer not to bulk it up with a grip!

Hello Archie,
Nice to see you here.
I seem to remember you bought one of my Pentax lenses :)
I have seen a small amount of purple fringing in high contrast conditions it's not been a problem and is easily dealt with my RAW converter.
Corner softness is not something I've noticed to be honest. In terms of optical quality I would say it's at least the equal of my 12-60 and 14-54.

With regard to the grip I think that comes down to personal preference, I tend to prefer it fitted with at least the horizontal grip, of course adding the vertical grip gives you the possibility of additional battery capacity.

bredman
18th August 2012, 02:04 AM
I'm quite happy with my selection. The 12-50 kit may be replaced by something faster eventually. And i'm impatiently waiting for the 60mm Macro and can't decide on the 75-300mm -- which i do need.

The new 75 is not a focal range that interests me but many claim it's a contender for one of the great lenses of all time. The lenses that i enjoy and rate highly are the Oly 45 and the Nokton 25/0.95.

Did i hear a rumour that Olympus are working on a 25mm prime to rival the Leica? If so, i'd like one.

Nic
18th August 2012, 08:19 AM
So far my lens of choice on the E-M5 has been the PanaLeica DG 25mm f1.4, with second place going to the Oly 45/1.8. I've also used the Olympus 9-18mm and Panasonic 14-140mm which have been fine but the majority of the time I have used the two prime lenses. For whatever reason I haven't really warmed to using the Panasonic 20/1.7 on the E-M5, even though I do really enjoy that lens on my GH1 and an E-PL1 before that.

geoff s
29th August 2012, 08:30 PM
What is the current choice for weatherproofed lenses ?

ayewing
29th August 2012, 08:48 PM
As far as I know there are only two weather sealed (or splash proof) MFT lenses, the kit 12-50 and the Panasonic 12-35.
If there are any others I am sure that someone with more experience of Olympus gear than me will let us know.