PDA

View Full Version : VF level adjustment

drmarkf
17th August 2012, 06:40 AM
As delivered, and even after a menu 'reset', my VF horizon level indicator was definitely a degree or two out of whack. I've corrected it with appropriate use of tripod, spirit level and VF grid, but I was wondering how many others have noticed this?

I'm congenitally unable to get horizontal horizons unaided, so this feature's important to me.

David Morison
17th August 2012, 10:08 AM
I've never used it, relying on LR4 to correct my horizons. I'd love to switch it off but haven't yet found the right switch!

David

OM USer
17th August 2012, 10:57 AM
I always thought I had a good sense of balance (and upright) but my E-M5 pictures have shown a distinct list (am I getting older?) and I have turned on the level guage (menu->custom menu->display(D)->info settings->Live View settings->Level Guage->on/off). I didn't know you could adjust the level setting so thanks for the info, I will check mine. Found it on Page 92 for those interested, its on the utility(K) custom menu.

Graham_of_Rainham
17th August 2012, 12:41 PM
I've always found the edge of the viewfinder & focusing point indicators to be adequate for lining up horizontals and verticals.

You do need to keep in mind the overall look of the image rather than the accuracy of the level of the camera, as lens distortions for off axis elements at wide angles can often be made to look "better" with the camera set off from a true level. Even the seas horizon has a curvature and can often look very wonky when there is a low cloud / mist and other atmospheric effects.

It's all very subjective anyway, so compose the way you like it to look...

StephenL
17th August 2012, 12:45 PM
Yes, it's a welcome feature, but one which I seldom use.

I have the thirds grid switched on, and use that as an approximation.

I find that the level gauge is best used when using a tripod, as it's so twitchy.

drmarkf
19th August 2012, 06:13 PM
Interesting - I most certainly don't use it all the time, although I do have it switched on. Yes, I do set an image off vertical when it looks right to do so, but I do find it really helpful to have a true vertical-horizontal available to consider.

The times I have real problems without a level have been especially when taking photos that include some horizon, plus also some low-level cloud and coastline in the shot. It can be hard to pick the right level via the VF, but easier to do so when magnified on a screen or print - this is sometimes OK to correct in post, but not if you've tightly framed the shot with care.

Gwyver
20th August 2012, 03:18 PM
I find there is a significant lag in the response time of the vertical-horizontal gauge on the EM-5. Consequently it is very easy to overcompensate based on the gauge's initial indication - resulting in an image which tilts in the opposite direction to where you started.

Although I usually use the thirds grid and/or AF indicator matrix to assess horizontals, for images of landscapes (particularly) in hilly country it can sometimes be difficult to spot a suitable reference line.

Whilst it is very easy to correct angular shift with software such as Lightroom, if you're able to get the shot level when you take the image - this means one less PP step afterwards.

Naughty Nigel
23rd June 2014, 02:32 PM
I may have missed something here, but how is the EM5's level indicator adjusted?

My EM5 is listing heavily to port at present, (confirmed with spirit level, etc.), so I would like to be able to adjust this if at all possible.

PeterBirder
23rd June 2014, 07:28 PM
I may have missed something here, but how is the EM5's level indicator adjusted?

My EM5 is listing heavily to port at present, (confirmed with spirit level, etc.), so I would like to be able to adjust this if at all possible.

Menu-> "cogs K" UTILITY

Manual page 92.

Regards.*chr

Naughty Nigel
23rd June 2014, 08:06 PM
Menu-> "cogs K" UTILITY

Manual page 92.

Regards.*chr

Thank you. That worked, although it was surprisingly difficult to find a completely level surface in this house!

David M
23rd June 2014, 09:22 PM
Set the camera on a tripod and level it with your spirit (bubble) level.