PDA

View Full Version : More 40-150 issues...

al_kaholik
16th August 2012, 12:38 PM
Some may recall that a long time back I complained that my viewfinder was very dark using this lens even when fully open. Well the same problem persists, except in all but the brightest light its almost impossible to see anything there, and the camera fails to AF. The lens is a mk1 f3.5-4.5 which I feel should be giving me a little more than it is.

Other than this, I have put down the poor photographs from it to me being particularly shakey despite trying all the tips on how to reduce shake.

I'm not really into dropping another large wedge of cash on a fast(er) lens so does anyone have any tips on what I can do to improve the quality and especially the view finder brightness (after the 14-54 its like shooting in complete darkness)? I feel that my paralympic shots in a few weeks will be limited to the 14-54 unless I can do something substantial to improve my images.

How good is the e5xx or e6xx with the IS over an e410? Again not wanting to really upgrade but it may be a longer term solution :(

There are some shots comparing my lenses on a good day in my Flickr under "lens issues?" set.

Thanks

Al

Falk
16th August 2012, 12:57 PM
Just a quick question for you: Are your sure, the 40-150's aperture blades are not fused/stuck together at some higher F-number?
If they are indeed stuck and you have already tried out everything else, then my suggestion would be: go for the Three Inch Solution.

Good luck!

[In case you'r not familiar with this expression, it means, let it (the lens) drop 3in.]

al_kaholik
20th August 2012, 07:51 AM
Falk, I had a look yesterday and it seems you got it in one. After finding some quick tests for aperture using the DOF preview there is no movement on the blades, just a slight stutter as it tries to do something.

What sort of orientation should I be looking at for my drop? And also I've read about heating the lens a little (should have taken advantage of the sun over the weekend) any experience with this?

I may get some good shots from it yet

al_kaholik
21st August 2012, 07:30 AM
3 inch drop did nothing, neither did heating gently with a hairdryer.

I've sent Luton Cameras an email but suspect that I'm looking at a new lens :(

Barkly
21st August 2012, 08:28 AM
Post a pic and leave all of the EXIF info intact and we can make a better judgement. I have the 40-150 and it serves me well. Whoops just seen the fact that you have discovered the stuck blades.

Ignore me.

al_kaholik
21st August 2012, 08:52 AM
Barkly. Noted and actioned :P

Falk
21st August 2012, 09:03 AM
Darn - you applied the 3"-solution without success - what a shame!

The aperture is driven by a stepper motor or something, right? Did you clean all contacts on either side of the lens mount?! Hard to imagine, but may be an electric issue? A bit of rubbing al_kohol might do wonders?! If that fails too, I guess, I am out of ideas ...

Fingers crossed,
Falk

al_kaholik
21st August 2012, 09:21 AM
I did that too, some sterilising alcohol on a cotton swab, but nothing :( Unfortunately I'm awaiting hearing from Luton and will probably be putting up a wanted thread tomorrow. Question is what is a dead lens worth to anyone? Or should I take it apart and have a go?... Has anyone ever taken one apart and got it back together successfully?

So many questions

timmypreston
3rd September 2012, 08:35 PM
I have just read this thread for the first time, my broken 40-150 now appears to be working perfectly after applying the 3" drop. I can't believe thats actually worked but I had nothing to lose so thought I'd give it a try.

Cheers Falk!

al_kaholik
4th September 2012, 07:47 AM
You sir are a lucky man :)

Falk
4th September 2012, 09:37 AM
Tim, glad it worked for you!

Since my last post here, I came across a statement saying, the 40-150's are well known to get their apperture blades stuck with havy use. There was a number of 30.000 shots going along with said statement. So it seems, the mechanics involved simply get worn out with use. I am uncertain if this number applies to both versions of 40-150 though? Might be, that the 3 inch trick or any other solution may only be able to squeeze just a little extra life out of them?!