PDA

View Full Version : OMD EM-5 Focus

CRANSTALL
15th August 2012, 07:14 PM
Hi could anyone help by telling me where i need to go in the menu or how to reduce the focus point size at the minute i have the large square focus point but if i focus on a small bird on a round log i end up with a sharp log but not the bird? I know it is in their somewhere but i cant find it i found it by accident but then lost it when i changed something else in the menu and have not managed to get it back again ? Also how do i get a manual lens to work i have a 500 f8 mirror lens but i have had no luck with it even in full manual mode it will only allow shutter adjustment which means every shot is way under exposed to the point off being black I would be grateful for any advice .:confused::confused:

bredman
15th August 2012, 08:49 PM
When the green square is on screen you can touch the touchscreen on the right and a slider will appear, just select the size you want. That's how i do it, there is another way to do this i think.

Regarding the manual lens, set the mode to aperture priority (A) and select the aperture you want on the lens, the camera will select the appropriate shutter speed. I've found with manuals that often there is a need to correct the exposure with the compensation dial.

CRANSTALL
15th August 2012, 09:05 PM
Hi thanks for that will try the touch screen the 5oo is fixed at f8 i though by putting the camera in manual it would let me put f8 in and then adjust the shutter use,ing the iso to get enough shutter speed but it would only allow me to adjust the shutter speed? But i will try in aperture again.:confused:

peak4
15th August 2012, 09:18 PM
Hi, don't have the camera in front of me at the moment, but essentially, assign the top function button to Magnify. press info until the green screen shows, press Magnify and then use the appropriate wheel to resize the square.

Ross the fiddler
16th August 2012, 05:16 AM
When the green square is on screen you can touch the touchscreen on the right and a slider will appear, just select the size you want. That's how i do it, there is another way to do this i think.

I use the above, but in 'Touch to Focus' mode where the touch point on the left changes from 'Touch to Shoot', 'Touch Off' & then 'Touch to Focus'. The focus point can then be selected anywhere on the screen (except the edges) & the slider adjuster on the right appears (briefly) with the magnifying touch control at the bottom right of the screen. See page 27 of the PDF manual.

Hi, don't have the camera in front of me at the moment, but essentially, assign the top function button to Magnify. press info until the green screen shows, press Magnify and then use the appropriate wheel to resize the square.

This is also useful to have programmed in to use instead of the touch screen method when needed or preferred. I also have the 4 way keys set to direct functions (with drive mode on the down 'v' button & ISO on the right '>' button) & the left '<' button puts it back into normal focus point selection, enabling all 4 keys for this (first press [OK] to clear the 'touch to focus' point), while the up '^' button selects the aperture & compensation adjustments by the 4 way keys.

I hope I am not leading you astray with my descriptions. The manual explains a lot but it isn't always easy to take it in until later when some of the functions (or the description in the manual) make better sense after using the camera for some time.

CRANSTALL
16th August 2012, 07:22 PM
Hi everyone
thanks for all your help i think i have got my head round it now still don,t know how i did it the first time but ha ho !! Does anyone have any idea why one body will magnify to 14x but the other one only goes to 7x I have migrated from Nikon and love the size and weight of the Oly but am finding it a bit off a challenge at times again thanks for all your help regards Peter
P.S. anyone from the island?????:o:)