PDA

View Full Version : 3rd party E-M5 charger fits all apparently

snaarman
14th August 2012, 02:20 PM
I just spotted a thread on flickr pointing out that this item will chage both Oly and 3rd party E-M5 batteries.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/digitalmediastore-Battery-Charger-OLYMPUS-Digital/dp/B008NGCKRE/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1344547855&sr=8-9

I'm still waiting to take the plunge with non Oly batteries... so I can't comment.

Pete

andym
14th August 2012, 02:32 PM
The Expro dual charger I got with my Expro batteries will also charge Oly BLN-1s.
Useful to be able to charge 2 batteries at once given how quickly they run out.*yes*yes*yes

StephenL
14th August 2012, 02:52 PM
I think that all 3rd party chargers sold with batteries claim to also charge OEM batteries.

Personally I use a Uniross charger which seems to be able to charge any camera battery of just about any make.

snaarman
14th August 2012, 03:11 PM
Personally I use a Uniross charger which seems to be able to charge any camera battery of just about any make.

Really? Which model is that? I have a couple of Uniross AA chargers and they have been pretty good.

Pete

StephenL
14th August 2012, 03:21 PM
Really? Which model is that? I have a couple of Uniross AA chargers and they have been pretty good.

Pete

Good question! I've had it a while. The only markings on it is a ref number C0170772/1.

It has an output of 650mA, a sort of sprung cover which grips the battery according to size, and two prongs, +ve and -ve, which slide up and down a rail to match the battery.

It is 12v DC input and comes with both a mains and car adaptor.

I bought it when I thought I'd lost a Panasonic charger a year or so back, which I promptly found in a shoe once the new one had arrived.

It might be this one:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Uniross-U0170895-Universal-Li-Ion-Charger/dp/B001AV1KYS/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1344957649&sr=1-6

Loup Garou
16th August 2012, 09:08 PM
When I bought my 3rd Party battery/charger from Digital Media Store, they quite clearly said that while thier battery would not charge on the Olympus charger because of the coding, their charger would accept the Olympus battery. So it does and charges the original quite well.

drmarkf
17th August 2012, 06:36 AM
Yes, I've got one of those Uniross slider-contact chargers - they're very handy when you go on holiday and you only need to take one charger to cope with the whole family's rechargeable needs - cameras, video recorder, AA and AAA. The only batteries I haven't found one to take are CR123s.

However I haven't tried my 2 original Oly E-M5 batteries in it, and with all the claims of problems/no problems I don't know whether I should. What do people think?

OM USer
17th August 2012, 11:03 AM
I have heard reports that the Olympus battery/charger is at a slightly higher voltage than the third party battery/chargers. It is therefore possible that a third party charger will not charge the Oly battery to its maximum potential. As I only wanted to take one charger away with me on holiday I used the ExPro batteries/charger all the time and kept the Oly battery (previously charged at home in the Oly charger) as an emergency spare.