PDA

View Full Version : Just checking they have all gone!

shirley
29th June 2008, 08:22 PM
Taken at Ashridge Forest.
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Just-checking-they-have-all.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/6433)

emirpprime
30th June 2008, 11:57 AM
Brilliant! Perfect timing.
All the best,
Phil

Graham_of_Rainham
30th June 2008, 01:27 PM
Excellent capture of the moment and the PERFECT Title

This image has a quality of "Reportage" style often characterized by careful observation of the subject. When linked, as this is, with a great caption the "Story" is enhanced and the viewer can visulise all manner of scenarios for both before and after the moment.

But (and there nearly always is one) you have showcased this in this area so my constructive comments are:-

A tiny crop off the LHS and some cloning on the RHS to remove the "distractions"

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Just-checking-they-have-all1.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/6454)

Regards

Graham

shirley
30th June 2008, 07:11 PM
Hi Graham,
Thank you for your comments, I am definitely looking for critique on my pics. I agree with you re the LHS but I am not so sure about the path, I like the fact that it points to the presence of people, I dont like the picture as much without it. But thats a personal view I am sure others will have an opinion.

Graham_of_Rainham
30th June 2008, 09:23 PM
Shirley,

I've been entering competitions for a couple of years and have learned a huge amount about what other people think of my pictures. If I produce an image "for a competition" then I tend to follow the classic "rules". However more and more I'm finding that the images I like most are the ones that don't do well in the conservative arena of my society but do a lot better with external judges. I'm therefore submitting images I like and if others like them, I consider it a bonus. I think your work is really very good, but (and there it is again) I always comment in a similar way when I find myself "distracted" from the subject. It's something I picked up as a consistent comment made by RPS judges and is often echoed by editors such a Will Cheung.

Regards

Graham

PS I too would love to see the comments of others, it's what makes this forum what it is... :)

shirley
30th June 2008, 09:37 PM
Hi Graham,
I am learning a lot about seeing my own pics through others eyes. I dont belong to a club and have never entered a competition - apart from ones on this site- so this site is invaluable in helping me to develop a more critical eye. I hope you didnt think I was in anyway upset or offended by your comments, that was certainly far from the truth. As I see it there is no point in putting pics on the site unless you are happy for constructive criticism, however I do enjoy a discussion and an airing of differences. It appears there is often a huge difference of opinion on the same picture, I have had a picture lauded as excellent by some and slated by others - same pic, diffferent people.
So please keep commenting on my pics - I appreciate your opinions.Thank you
Shirley

JohnGG
30th June 2008, 11:49 PM
I think I prefer the first version of the picture, especially in the context of the narrative title. In each shot my eye is immediately drawn to the squirrel which is in an interesting pose looking to the right. Natural thought, "What's he looking at?" In the first my reply to myself is, "Ah, path, must be people there." But in the second, "Err ... dunno!" Without the path I think the picture stops telling a story and becomes just a nice record shot of a squirrel *ohwell

I have had limited experience of judges and competitions but that little showed me how unpredictable, even whimsical, the process can be. Eventually I found it more rewarding to present pictures that I enjoyed taking and felt were of good quality, regardless of how they were received, than trying to second guess what the judges might like. If the judge liked them as well, so much the better *yes

Of course, nothing should stop you working to improve your photography and a good way of doing that is taking on board constructive criticism of your work :)

Cheers,

JohnGG

Graham_of_Rainham
1st July 2008, 10:11 AM
I have had limited experience of judges and competitions but that little showed me how unpredictable, even whimsical, the process can be.
Cheers,

JohnGG

John,

You are so right *yes It's a bit like camera reviews, you say nice things about that which you like.

Back to the discussion

I've also asked other members of my family which picture they prefer, but that resulted in mixed views as well. I've taken a good long look at the two side by side and I have to be honest, I was wrong... The original has got more to add to the "story" of the picture.

This is why I like this forum, it provides for real opportunity to calibrate ones own thoughts.

I still think this is a super "story" picture :)

Graham

shirley
1st July 2008, 06:16 PM
Thanks again Graham,
I enjoy a bit of healthy debate. I really dont think there are rights or wrongs, it seems to me that its usually down to personal preference along with the experiences that a person brings when looking at a picture eg you had the experience I hadnt had of a club and entering competitions, you know what judges are looking for and would be much more likely to be successful than I would.
I agree that this forum provides a great opportunity to explore ones own ideas and develop a critical eye, seeing a picture through somebody elses eyes is always helpful and revealing.*chr