View Full Version : Camera insurance

29th June 2008, 02:55 PM
I think there has been a thread on this before but I cant find it. Also I am not sure if this is the right place to put it - so probably having broken all the rules here goes anyway:D

I am considering buying some insurance for my camera equipment, does anybody have any good or bad experiences .
Thanks you

29th June 2008, 09:16 PM
I have all of my gear on my home policy. I have my camera gear listed as a separate personal belonging. I pay a small premium for this but it I am covered both in and out of the home. I also have no excess to pay if a claim is made.

Please note that not all insurers provide the same cover. FYI I use the NFU (no I am not a farmer). They have been very helpful and extremely quick to pay whenever I have made a claim (two this year alone :( ! )

30th June 2008, 09:51 AM
I did a trawl round a few companies for quotes and EandL (who seem to put leaflets in with most photo mags) were the cheapest at the time. Have been pleasant and easy to deal with so far, but have yet to need to make a claim...

30th June 2008, 10:51 AM
We have just renewed our policy with Towergate Camerasure. They cover all our equipment plus various business aspects to our insurance needs.


Not sure if they are geared up for personal cover of photo equipment, but they are certainly worth a try.


30th June 2008, 11:23 AM
Towergate will cover amateur as well as professional photographers.

30th June 2008, 11:23 AM
I too have my gear on my household policy, a bit extra but covered in and out of the house in the UK.

30th June 2008, 11:35 AM
Think I paid about an extra 40.00 on my household policy which includes up to 4 weeks worldwide cover.

Not had to put it to the test yet;)

Steve Lane
30th June 2008, 03:20 PM
I, also, have my camera gear insured under my home insurance policy. Like others here, it covers me for trips abroad too. It seems to work as I had to make a claim a few years ago after pikeys broke into my car boot and whipped off with a few items. After making out a police report, the insurance company paid out very quickly.

Cheers, Steve.

30th June 2008, 03:29 PM
....claim a few years ago after pikeys broke into my car boot....

We don't want another ITV F1 incident now

30th June 2008, 08:31 PM
Mine is on household policy. I had to claim a year ago when I wrecked my KM 5D in a fall and apart from the fact they gave me Jessops vouchers which made replacement difficult (and is indirectly the reason I now use Oly) the claim was totally hassle free.

30th June 2008, 11:34 PM
Have had insurance with E&L for a few years and they seemed pretty good- but when I broke the LCD screen on a E510 I found the 150 excess (for a 160 repair) somewhat hard to swallow.

I do need the cover, are people who have their cover on their household insurance also covered for loss/damage abroad whilst working professionally?



1st July 2008, 08:19 AM
I have just rang my local NFU, and obtained some more information.

1. They do not cover business use on their home policies. However depending on whether you are self employed, or not, they have business insurance policies.

2. Where it is personal usage, they cover for up to 90 days when travelling.

They don't charge any admin fees, for when you need to add/remove equipment from the insured list, and they have local offices with local people in most areas.

Oh, any they pay up very quickly.

BTW, I do not work for the NFU :D