PDA

View Full Version : Garden snails

shirley
28th June 2008, 02:48 PM
I was supposed to be gardening but spotted this little chap doing some acrobatics. Tried out my new 12-60mm - I'm impressed. I hadnt really thought of it as a close up lens but seems to have coped well.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Balancing-snail-2-resized.jpg

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Balancing-snail-resized.jpg

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Changing-direction-resized.jpg

Any comments or thoughts?

andym
28th June 2008, 04:52 PM
Shirley

I find snails very good for photographs especially the variation of colours and patterns on the shells.
I like your pictures but the only thing(this may be my eyes or monitor)there seems to be a bit of a purple hue to them.Its seems notice more in the second picture.Also shame about the bit of grass in the second.

But still very nice.

theMusicMan
28th June 2008, 05:05 PM
Nice shots Shirley, very sharp.

I find snails good practice for panning...:)

JohnGG
28th June 2008, 05:12 PM
Nice shots Shirley, very sharp.

I find snails good practice for panning...:)

Is that with garlic butter :confused::D

shirley
28th June 2008, 05:18 PM
I had a feeling the snails might elicit some sort of humerous response:D

I dont see the purple hue on my monitor,is anybody else seeing this?

Thanks for the feedback.

When I have mastered the panning of the snails I will have a go with something faster like worms - could take me a while to get to flying birds:rolleyes::D

JohnGG
28th June 2008, 05:29 PM
I see a slight purpleish hue on the second shot but it occurs to me that snails are quite shiny so it could just be a partial reflection of blue sky.

What I do see and find a little odd is some sort of artifact running parallel to the edge of the snail :confused: It's as if the snail is hot and there's a heat haze coming off it. It's particularly noticeable (on my rather old monitor) in the third shot around the eye stalk. Perhaps it is a side effect of the processing, I wouldn't have thought it was in the original shot ... unless that really is a hot snail ;)

Cheers,

JohnGG

shirley
28th June 2008, 05:33 PM
Could it be because I was shooting towards the sun?
Or possibly the selective sharpening I did, I didnt sharpen the whole image I selected the snail and just sharpened that.

JohnGG
28th June 2008, 05:54 PM
I don't think it could be because of shooting towards the sun. Selective sharpening sounds more likely but as I've never tried it I can't really judge. I'm sure I've seen this effect before in posts by another member of the forum but I can't recall who or when :( If I can track some shots down in the Gallery area I'll let you know.

Cheers,

JohnGG

andym
28th June 2008, 05:59 PM
What I do see and find a little odd is some sort of artifact running parallel to the edge of the snail :confused: It's as if the snail is hot and there's a heat haze coming off it. It's particularly noticeable (on my rather old monitor) in the third shot around the eye stalk. Perhaps it is a side effect of the processing, I wouldn't have thought it was in the original shot ... unless that really is a hot snail ;)

Cheers,

JohnGG

I think its just an artifact caused by the resizing on the site.If you look at it in Shirleys gallery and view as large image it disappears.

JohnGG
28th June 2008, 06:07 PM
I think its just an artifact caused by the resizing on the site.If you look at it in Shirleys gallery and view as large image it disappears.

You beat me to it :)

I have just been looking at some of my own images in the Gallery area and noticed the same thing. I think I have always pasted the link to the full-sized image when I have created a post.

Cheers,

JohnGG

shirley
28th June 2008, 06:19 PM
So does that mean I dont have to worry about this?:)

JohnGG
28th June 2008, 10:42 PM
Yes, nothing to worry about, it seems :)

I'm not sure what the recommended method is but when I post a picture I always upload it to my gallery first. I then copy and paste the link that appears below the picture in the gallery into the thread. That has always resulted in the full-sized picture appearing in the post so no resizing artefacts occur.

Cheers,

JohnGG

ndl0071
28th June 2008, 11:14 PM
Hi Shirley

Some good close ups there, there's far to many of these little blighters about in my garden at the moment my Hostas look like they've been shot through with a shotgun:o

I too can see a slight colour cast on shot number 2, not sure what would explain it though:confused:

If it helps, on the occasions when I have posted photos here I follow the method described by JohnGG and have not yet encountered any issues.

Good luck with future posts:)

Neil

shirley
29th June 2008, 07:30 AM
Thanks all.
I follow that method but use the medium link that appears. I do this because in the past when I have pasted the larger link the image is sometimes too large and requires the viewer to scroll to see the image. I find that really annoying when looking at a picture, which is why I post the medium size, but I wll give it a try

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Balancing-snail-2-resized.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/6411)

mmm well that seems fine. Maybe I am resizing before I upload more effectively than I used to.

In hindsight I think I may have post edited no 2 rather too aggresively - the others had very little editing- a lesson for the future may be.

gno
29th June 2008, 09:21 AM
I follow that method but use the medium link that appears. I do this because in the past when I have pasted the larger link the image is sometimes too large and requires the viewer to scroll to see the image. I find that really annoying when looking at a picture, which is why I post the medium size, but I wll give it a try

Hi Shirley,
The image size is dependant on the Resolution size that the monitor is set at.
Which to some extent depends on the size of monitor and graphics card.

Regards

Gavin