PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Flash & E-M5

tomphotofx
4th August 2012, 04:25 PM
Hi

I know the E-M5 has wireless flash capabilities, so my question is; Will the supplied flash talk to the 36R and 50R and turn out excellent results?

Thanks guys for any help.

Tom

David Morison
4th August 2012, 04:32 PM
Works well for me.

David

ayewing
4th August 2012, 05:16 PM
It works well with the FL300R so I would expect it to work with other current Olympus flashes.

Archie

Ian
4th August 2012, 05:22 PM
Yes indeed - you can use the bundled mini-flash as the controller.

Ian

tomphotofx
4th August 2012, 07:28 PM
Many thanks guys for the feedback. I feel better now knowing I can use my Olympus flashes as I could with the E3.

All the best

Tom

Loup Garou
5th August 2012, 10:19 AM
I have the FL-600R flashgun and the little flash certainly seems to 'tell' the settings to the big brother.

However, I find attaching and removing the little flash bit of a nuisance. The cover over the port is difficult to remove and it and the other little loose bits (hotshoe cover, protective sleeve of the flashbit) can easily get lost. I much prefer to use FL-600R directly on the hotshoe and unlike the FL-50R, the former is light enough not to affect the camera's handling. Amazingly, red-eye has not been a problem at all so far, even in low light conditions.

tomphotofx
5th August 2012, 11:41 AM
I've always found having the flash mounted on the hotshoe usually gives unflattering results unless you can bounce the light off an adjacent wall or reflector either to the side or behind. The larger the light source the softer the shadows.

Tom

Loup Garou
5th August 2012, 02:15 PM
I always use a diffuser mounted over the flash head.