PDA

View Full Version : FL50-R zoom question

Invicta
27th June 2008, 06:09 PM
I have an Oly FL50-R and strugging with some of the settings.

The firing angle (zoom) automatically adjusts when the flash is on the camera hot shoe. This made me wonder about two things:

1) With a 12-60 SWD lens the lens zoom is greater than the flash zoom. How do you ensure that the lens zoom does not go beyond the flash zoom range? There does not seem to be any warning alert.

2) When the flash is used in remote mode off the camera do you need to set the zoom mode?

Naughty Nigel
20th July 2008, 08:32 PM
I have an Oly FL50-R and strugging with some of the settings.

The firing angle (zoom) automatically adjusts when the flash is on the camera hot shoe. This made me wonder about two things:

1) With a 12-60 SWD lens the lens zoom is greater than the flash zoom. How do you ensure that the lens zoom does not go beyond the flash zoom range? There does not seem to be any warning alert.

2) When the flash is used in remote mode off the camera do you need to set the zoom mode?

The flashgun zoom attempts to adjust the angle of flash to match that of your lens, so that flash energy is not wasted, and flash range is increased when using long lenses.

As an example, if you were to use a normal (non-zoom) flashgun with a telephoto lens, most of the light would be wasted by lighting the area outside of your lense's field of view, whilst the flash range itself would be very limited.

Therefore, there is no need to worry about using a lens with a focal length greater than that of your flashgun, as all that will happen is that you will run out of light at some stage.

Lets say I mount my 50 ~ 200 zoom lens on the camera, using the FL50 for illumination. I can set the lens at 200 mm focal length, and focus on a subject 500 yards away; but the flashgun will never be able to illuminate it as a), it's field width is too narrow, and b), the flashgun would never be powerful enough.

Regarding your second question; if you are using the flashgun off camera, you will need to set the flash angle (ie zoom) to an appropriate value, remembering that (as the flashgun is not in the same place as your camera), the focal length set on your flashgun will almost certainly need to be different to the focal length of your lens. However, I generally prefer to use as wide a flash angle as the flashgun power permits, as a broad angle usually provides more even illumination.

I hope that helps.

Invicta
21st July 2008, 05:30 PM
Thanks Nigel.

That is a big help. Off-camera remote flash looks like it would take an extra step than I first thought to include setting the zoom angle.