PDA

View Full Version : Two British GP tickets up for grabs!

Ian
27th June 2008, 04:45 PM
Olympus UK, who are partnered with the McLaren F1 team, is kindly offering two e-group members a fantastic opportunity to attend the British Grand Prix qualifying day (Saturday 5th July), including VIP lunch at the circuit and other goodies - more details to come.

If you are interested in going, send me a forum email (or click on the link below) addressed to Ian:

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/private.php?do=newpm

You need to be logged in to the forum to do this :)

In order to have enough time to get the tickets to the lucky ones, assuming there are more than 2 people interested :D, there will be a simple random draw next Wednesday (2nd July). So get in touch with me by the end of Tuesday, please.

You will need to make your own way to the circuit (Silverstone, Northants - near Towcester), but I believe parking is included in the package.

Good luck!

Ian

Zuiko
27th June 2008, 08:36 PM
If only my Home and Lifestyle Manager hadn't already made other plans for me that weekend......:(

Jim Ford
27th June 2008, 09:20 PM
If only my Home and Lifestyle Manager hadn't already made other plans for me that weekend.

I guess you don't want to ruin your chances for next year's fitch!
;^)

Jim

Zuiko
27th June 2008, 09:27 PM
I guess you don't want to ruin your chances for next year's fitch!
;^)

Jim

Just don't want to ruin my chances. (Full stop!) :D

Ian
28th June 2008, 06:25 PM
Just thought I'd bump this up in case anyone might miss it...

Ian

Ian
29th June 2008, 04:47 PM
Anyone else want to put their name into the hat for a free hospitality VIP ticket to qualifying at the British Grand Prix next Saturday, courtesy of Olympus UK and the McLaren F1 team? :)

Ian

photonutter
29th June 2008, 06:07 PM
Sounds like a great oppertunity, pity I'll be stuck in work.:(

mike1251
29th June 2008, 09:27 PM
Sounds great, but i dont think my e500 and kit lenses are up to it :D

Zuiko
30th June 2008, 04:11 AM
Sounds great, but i dont think my e500 and kit lenses are up to it :D

You'd be surprised!

HughofBardfield
30th June 2008, 10:03 AM
You'd be surprised!

Absolutely! Particularly if you have the 40-150mm - it's surprisingly capable!

But don't forget wide shots with the 14-42 either.

My "Home and Lifestyle Manager" (love that!) has also made plans for me involving the in-laws. Guess where I'd rather be?

Ian
30th June 2008, 04:45 PM
Here is some further information from Olympus UK:

Extra Special Offer to E-Group members

Olympus have a pair of VIP passes to Saturday 5th July qualifying.

Take advantage of the best hospitality on the grid. Get a tour of the Paddock, seats in the grandstand and a talk from the team (McLaren) with personal appearances by the drivers.

Open from 8-30 am you will be able to take advantage of breakfast, lunch and tea with a Paddock Club Car pass thrown in.

The Formula One Paddock Club Village is a group of private marquees surrounding a central open garden, each with its own patio seating area and lounge area. Separate marquees house the Paddock Club bar and various entertainment within the garden area.

I'd just like to clarify the ticket availability - there are two tickets; so I have decided that if the first person out of the hat has a friend or partner to bring, he or she can have both tickets. However, if only one ticket is required, a second drawing will take place for the second ticket.

A dim view will be held if the pair of tickets is claimed and only one is used - you will be joining a group of other Olympus guests on the day.

Once again - good luck for the draw; there is still time - you have until the end of tomorrow (Tuesday).

Ian

crimbo
30th June 2008, 07:34 PM
my 'Home, Lifestyle and Funds Manager' is quite happy for me to enter...if I can get the day off on Friday, Get a flight out of Shetland, hire a car, find a hotel and then do the reverse to get back on Sunday - and how do I do that without missing the GP on telly?
So good luck to those that win

Chillimonster
30th June 2008, 07:44 PM
there is still time - you have until the end of tomorrow (Tuesday).

Ian

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Dont tell everyone! - how am i supposed to win if everyone knows! :D

Ian
1st July 2008, 09:21 PM
Scanny is the first out of the hat! *chr

Well done Scanny (Steve). Please check your forum mail and reply asap!

If Steve only needs one ticket, a second draw will be made for that spare ticket.

Ian

scanny
1st July 2008, 10:09 PM
Wow!! What can i say!
A huge thankyou to Ian and Olympus for this oppertunity, it certainly goes to show that olympus through this forum and Ian, know how to look after their users and build on the brand loyalty they have!

I graduate My Beng in Motorsport engineering this summer so im thrilled to be seeing the machines up close and personal- that i have oggled over and used for the basis of my design concepts for my dissertation on Kinematics. Well not to forget the most important part, the V8 whine.

Hopefully ill be overflowing with pictures and stories come saturday evening and ill post up the best ones.

Again, Thankyou for this oppertuninty

Steve

Chillimonster
2nd July 2008, 07:30 AM
Well done matey.

Enjoy the day :)

Haisbro
2nd July 2008, 07:35 AM
Wow!! What can i say!
A huge thankyou to Ian and Olympus for this oppertunity, it certainly goes to show that olympus through this forum and Ian, know how to look after their users and build on the brand loyalty they have!

I graduate My Beng in Motorsport erngineering this summer so im thrilled to be seeing the machines up close and personal- that i have oggled over and used for the basis of my design concepts for my dissertation on Kinematics. Well not to forget the most important part, the V8 whine.

Hopefully ill be overflowing with pictures and stories come saturday evening and ill post up the best ones.

Again, Thankyou for this oppertuninty

Steve

Are you SURE you are up to the long journey South, wouldn't you rather give the tickets to someone living a bit closer. :DJust think of the time you are going to have to get up to be ready for breakfast in the Paddock:eek:
You know its not worth it, Repeat after me. " I do not want to go to Silverstone but Haisbro can have my pair of tickets." Say this over and over again as you write a PM to Ian.

There you feel better now don't you.:D

Seriously though well done, if you search on the internet you'll get an idea of whats in store and the type of images/situations that will be part of the day.

Hope the lens can cope with F1. Good shooting.

David.

scanny
2nd July 2008, 02:05 PM
Yes its quite a treck down, ive not been since we were in the pits for Formula Student this time last year so it should be intresting to hear V8's instead of 4cyl bike engines, An inpromtue vist to relatives in leicster should mean i can get up at a sensible time on saturday :)

I was a Dounne hillclimb last weekend and it poured so the 50-200 on my E1 came in handy. I lent my brother my 14-54mm so i was lumped with his 14-42 on my e510 to try catch them going up the hill, it wasnt the most sucessfull day- location, lens, light and a hangover. Being 20 feet away from them didnt help as did the 130mph they were going at, so hopefully the extra distance at silverstone should help a touch.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v249/scannee/P6222636-Copy.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v249/scannee/P6223420.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v249/scannee/P6223418.jpg

The Predator (red) is a 3L V10 ex arrows F1 engine, limited to 11,000rpm but what a shriek and its 250kg lighter than an F1's minimum weight, certainly was impresive having a poke about and talking to Greame

ewan
2nd July 2008, 04:23 PM
Well done Scanny, with your acadaemic interest a worthy winner,
have a great day. *chr

Ian
4th July 2008, 03:52 PM
scanny is in for delightful day tomorrow :)

I'm at Silverstone at the moment (free wifi in the Paddock Club hospitality centre) - free priority access parking, great food, goodie bags, the grandstand is a short stroll away, we've been in the pits, Heikki Kovaleinen came and gave a talk, I think I've got some shots (well, there ought to be after all I shot nearly 500 frames)...

Shame the weather doesn't look good tomorrow :D

Ian

Wreckdiver
4th July 2008, 04:18 PM
scanny is in for delightful day tomorrow :)

I'm at Silverstone at the moment (free wifi in the Paddock Club hospitality centre) - free priority access parking, great food, goodie bags, the grandstand is a short stroll away, we've been in the pits, Heikki Kovaleinen came and gave a talk, I think I've got some shots (well, there ought to be after all I shot nearly 500 frames)...

Ian

Should I swear now or bite my tongue?

Hope you have a great time though, expect to see some great photos when you return :)

Steve

theMusicMan
4th July 2008, 09:09 PM

Ian
Hey everyone... shall I ban him now... :):D

blu-by-u
5th July 2008, 05:48 AM
Hey everyone... shall I ban him now... :):D

Yes please..joking only. Please do post exciting photos.

minijohn
5th July 2008, 08:36 AM
Ian @ Silverstone

If I see you on the tele, I'll give you a wave. Please wave back!!!!

JohnWB

Ian
5th July 2008, 09:05 AM
Ian @ Silverstone

If I see you on the tele, I'll give you a wave. Please wave back!!!!

JohnWB

I was there yesterday - today it's scanny's turn :D

Ian

Ian
5th July 2008, 06:47 PM
I wonder how scanny and his Dad got on today? He would have had a great view of Hamilton over-cooking it from the Luffield grandstand. And the weather stayed bright :)

And this was the pole man, of course... don't scroll if you don't want to know!
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/632/P7046871b.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/6578)

Heikki Kovalainen's first pole - long overdue!

Ian

E-P1 fan
5th July 2008, 08:49 PM
Yeh we liked seeing Heiki best the arrogant one

scanny
6th July 2008, 12:40 AM
Well what a day, im just back in Troon, tierd but still elated. Again my thanks to Ian, Julia and Abi for making it happen, it was amazing. Both myself and Dad had a great time, 600 pictures to proces and many stories to tell but for now bed is calling if i can get that horrid drone of the honda out my ears.

Heres a quick one of Lewis overcooking it, Mclaren blamed a cross wind after but it looked like over-driving

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v249/scannee/P7054063_1.jpg

Who's_E
6th July 2008, 06:51 AM
Scanny,

Glad you enjoyed it. And what a prize from Ian.

Nick

Ian
6th July 2008, 10:45 AM
[QUOTE=scanny;19580]Well what a day, im just back in Troon, tierd but still elated. Again my thanks to Ian, Julia and Abi for making it happen, it was amazing. Both myself and Dad had a great time, 600 pictures to proces and many stories to tell but for now bed is calling if i can get that horrid drone of the honda out my ears.

Heres a quick one of Lewis overcooking it, Mclaren blamed a cross wind after but it looked like over-driving

I thought you'd get a good view of Hamilton going ploughing :)

I still think he can win the race...

Ian

scanny
6th July 2008, 03:33 PM
Well a strange race today, i wouldn’t have thought Hekki would have been so off the pace after yesterday with Lewis admitting he would struggle to keep up. The two honda's sounded horrendous yesterday at very least the exhaust was tuned to the wrong frequency, but a good win for Lewis.

So to yesterday......im still smiling!
We stayed in Thurlaston with relatives so a short drive to Northampton in the morning, after we had to clean the eggs of the car, the lovely local affluent youths!

A rainy arrival so we had a brisk walk to the Paddock Club area and into the Mclaren Marquee, where on arrival we were give a goodie bag (a jacket, hat, keyring- the same stuff they sell at autosport for a princely sum!). We got shown to the olympus table and met Abi, she was an excellent host and fun. Breakfast was fit for a king then Hekki made an appearance. It was then out to the grandstand to watch morning practice in the damp, the location made excellent viewing for the cars loosing the rear and struggling to hold it. The Ferraris looked unsettled, Honda sounded horrid and the toro roso sounded like the gods of thunder!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v249/scannee/GrandPrixLuffieldpano_1.jpg

Next up was an air display with a squadron of helicopters, i must admit its the first time ive seen an apache do a loop the loop before! That was special. The porsche cup guys were out next then after a few glasses of champagne it was off to the pit walk.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v249/scannee/P7053788.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v249/scannee/GrandPrixPitLanePano_1.jpg

I spent that long ogling over the ferraris that the walk was over and i hadn’t seen the Malaren’s yet, however Abi told us to meet back in the afternoon and she would get us both into the pit!

It was drying of for qualifying so it became oh so much harder to get pictures! Kimmi played with the teams then set a blistering lap as he does, lewis going of livened it all up then Hekki got pole.

Now for lunch and wow, the food was delightful and more champagne! I could get used to this!

We watched the Gp2 on the screens in the marquee then Abi took us off to the Mclaren pit. The walk behind the paddock was interesting bumping into Kubica outside Bmw then Webber as we entered Mclarens pit. Instead of taking the "memories" pictures i was engrossed in the aero shrouds off the front wheels and the suspension arrangement on Hekki's car that was just back from park fermé. Cue lots of engineering shots of any parts that had been left in view and in particular the tyres and the horrid early graining on the used sets.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v249/scannee/P7054106.jpg

A great day was had by both of us, with getting into the pit rounding it off perfectly. Hopefully ill be there again next year in a working capacity next year once i graduate! This day should add some colour to my cv cover letters hopefully.

Unfortunately i can't compete with Ian’s excellent panned shots, my 510 with 50-200 was overwhelmed with the speed, however ill post some ones up in my gallery this week as i convert them, or if anyone wants some from in the pit ill happily share them

Ian
6th July 2008, 07:26 PM
Nice pix, scanny - and don't think too highly of my panned shots - 99% of them were rejects :rolleyes: - I've only shown the reasonable ones :D

Ian