PDA

View Full Version : Battery life observed

snaarman
30th July 2012, 08:35 PM
OK. Ive decided to start recording how long my E-M5 (genuine) batteries last.

I just got 145 shots from most recent session. Now these are raw + jpeg, so maybe each shot counts as two not one, and I did do a bit of menu diving and erasing. I have the rear screen off most of the time and the EVF is on eye detect so that should be off a lot as well. I have shutdown set for "early bath".. can't think of much else I can trim.

I'd like Hahnel or someone to make a fully compatible battery that works with the Oly charger, and then I'd have 3 or 4 batteries. Best of all I'd like it to last longer on a charge :)

Anyway, I will see how the next battery recharge works out and report back.

Pete

BTW: Ants:

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/614/EM591698.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/49976)

bredman
30th July 2012, 08:44 PM
Nice ants :). You just caught one with a mouthful of honeydew.

snaarman
9th August 2012, 05:38 AM
Ok. Flat battery time again. About 140 shots again... How are some of you getting 500 shots???

OK, so the battery going in the camera got charged last week and has been in the camera bag so it isn't freshly charged, but I didn't think that was a big deal.

I am going to try an experiment and switch to raw file only. I may even switch IS off.

Pete

JonSchick
9th August 2012, 05:49 AM
I haven't counted because the battery seems to be lasting longer than I expected. I do often turn off between shots, which may help. Also have rear LCD off most of the time, and do very little chimping.

brian1208
9th August 2012, 05:52 AM
I'm getting around 350 shots with the original battery and 300 with a couple of ExPro equivalents. I have it set to EVF with no eye detection, no review (unless I want it) and switch off rather than letting it "time out". S-AF with single shot shooting RAW with IS1

Seems fairly consistent over 5k or so shots

Bikie John
9th August 2012, 07:50 AM
140 or so per charge sounds about right to me (raw and medium JPEG, no video, S-AF mostly, internal viewfinder and not much reviewing).

There have been some very erratic samples though. One problem may the way I have the viewfinder set up. Being a traditionalist I don't normally use the back panel at all and have the look-through one set so it switches on automagically when put up to my eye. But I twigged that when the camera is bouncing around on my rather too-well upholstered beer processing department this will black out the light coming into the viewfinder and probably cause the internal display to switch on. This could be a heavy drain over a long evening so now I try to remember to turn the camera round the other way when it's dangling.

Ciao ... John

StephenL
9th August 2012, 08:01 AM
My usage of the camera is very erratic, with often days spent between uses. As a result the "number of shots" probably agrees with Pete, though I've not measured it.

I tend not to take a lot of shots when I'm using the camera - I try to work on the principle of it being like a film camera, so try to make each shot count.

Oh, and I take raw only, with the rear screen set to display the SCP most of the time.

I've only just taken my 1000th photos since getting the camera in April, but that's normal usage for me, perhaps even a little high!

snaarman
9th August 2012, 08:18 AM
My usage of the camera is very erratic, with often days spent between uses. As a result the "number of shots" probably agrees with Pete, though I've not measured it.

I tend not to take a lot of shots when I'm using the camera - I try to work on the principle of it being like a film camera, so try to make each shot count.

Oh, and I take raw only, with the rear screen set to display the SCP most of the time.

I've only just taken my 1000th photos since getting the camera in April, but that's normal usage for me, perhaps even a little high!

Yes, I shoot in the same way. Make each shot count. I wonder if you were to burst fire, sports snapper style or wedding photographer method, maybe you would get more shots per battery.

Personally, I think the elves you hear breathing inside the E-M5 are to blame. I bet they leave the lights on..

Pete

snaarman
17th August 2012, 12:50 PM
I have to say that the battery life department is the one area that the E-M5 does not impress me. I believe I am still averaging 100 to 140 shots even though I have switched to raw only and have most everything switched off apart from IS (maybe that is the culprit?)

edit: I just checked and the CIPA figure is supposed to be 360 shots. I get nowhere near this.

I had the dreaded flashing battery symbol today and did the battery swap, then I measured the "dead" battery voltage. It shows 7.22v unloaded. OK, there's no way I can tell what voltage it is when in the camera but 3.6v per cell is not usually regarded as end-of-cycle in the Li ion world. Confirmed radio control battery thrashers take theirs down to 3v or even 2.75v per cell :confused:

Am I being short changed somewhere? I read of folks getting 400 to 600 shots from this camera. If I can't improve on 100 then it will be the E-PL3 that goes on holiday with me. :mad:

Pete

Zuiko
17th August 2012, 01:04 PM
If I can't improve on 100 then it will be the E-PL3 that goes on holiday with me. :mad:

Pete

And you will still come back with a stonking set of pictures which makes us all drool! :p

Seriously, I understand your frustration, although it's a problem I would like to have!

snaarman
17th August 2012, 01:33 PM
And you will still come back with a stonking set of pictures which makes us all drool! :p

So no pressure then :) .. I thought I might travel lite with just the Pen and 14-45, but I say this each holiday and end up taking a pile of stuff including one lens I never use...

Seriously, I understand your frustration, although it's a problem I would like to have!

I decided to switch off IS as an experiment, and I also decided to buy an Ex-Pro charger and two batteries - which works out at 1/4 the price I paid SRS for my single spare Oly battery. :eek:

Will report back on this.

Pete

StephenL
17th August 2012, 02:00 PM
I'm just wondering if the 360 shots which is claimed by CIPA is achieved by running the camera until it actually runs out of juice, not just till the red light comes on? I think there's an adjustment somewhere to change this behaviour?

Incidentally, I was beta-testing something for someone recently (can't say what yet) where I needed a large number of raw files on a memory card. I reasoned that the easiest way was to simply put the camera on high-speed motor drive (showing my age) and just blast away.

I got 200 shots easily and quickly and the gauge never dropped from full. Maybe it's like a modern car. It uses battery power even when it's switched off. Those breathing elves must need some sustenance?

snaarman
17th August 2012, 02:26 PM
I got 200 shots easily and quickly and the gauge never dropped from full. Maybe it's like a modern car. It uses battery power even when it's switched off. Those breathing elves must need some sustenance?

Yes, that is my suspicion (the elves thing). I'm not certain the menu setting does anything more than changing the point that the flashing or half battery sign appears.

I did try ignoring the amber flash of death and you don't get many more shots before the camera switches off. Now that may still be a software decision to quit rather than the battery actually collapsing.

Hopefully I will have a total of 4 batteries and 2 charges by next week, but that's not quite the right answer really.

EDIT: Latest battery charge did 135 shots.

Pete

wanderer
17th August 2012, 03:28 PM
OK, so I use the E-5 but 200 to 350 shots seems light per charge.
I use 2 batteries in the holder and last weekend at an event I took about 1500 photos. The first batteries (Oly BLM-5)were not completely fresh but I still got about 700 shots before changing to (Hahnel BLM-1). I got another 600+ before changing to a 2nd set of Oly BLM-5s. These were used on another 2 jobs involving another 5-600 shots.
I do run the batteries flat if I can and recharge that evening. I like to have 2 spare sets available. I also review a lot and often in awkward positions use the live screen which definitely chews power. I don't use the on camera flash which is also thirsty.
A fresh set of AAs in the FL50R will give me 250-300 shots before the re-cycle time is too long for reasonable use.
I did try 6 AAs in the Battery pack with the E-3 once and it went through them like a dose of salts. Less than 200 shots. It does show that battery technology has moved, and is moving on, enormously.

One final note. I had a chat with a topnotch cameraman/cinematographer (Touching the Void) about the power he used for a BBC quality video camera in remote parts of the world. If he didn't have to carry it much he would take a battery for each day and a couple over. If he did have to carry it he would go over to charging but using solar chargers and being very careful about camera use. On a 28 day trip he finished with one battery left.

Bill Gordon
17th August 2012, 05:23 PM
So no pressure then :) .. I thought I might travel lite with just the Pen and 14-45, but I say this each holiday and end up taking a pile of stuff including one lens I never use...

I decided to switch off IS as an experiment, and I also decided to buy an Ex-Pro charger and two batteries - which works out at 1/4 the price I paid SRS for my single spare Oly battery. :eek:

Will report back on this.

Pete

hello Pete....I googled for the web site for the X Pro battery charger...couldn't come up with. If you have the address I would appreciate if you would send it to me.....docholiday@sympatico.ca

snaarman
17th August 2012, 05:35 PM
hello Pete....I googled for the web site for the X Pro battery charger...couldn't come up with. If you have the address I would appreciate if you would send it to me.....docholiday@sympatico.ca

Greeting sir. I hope you are well :)

I found it on Amazon, I searched their web site using Olympus and BLN-1 and X-pro. Over here they sell various options, I went for the charger with 1 battery plus a second battery..

All the best

Pete

Stewart G
17th August 2012, 06:44 PM
I don't know if folks in the UK can get them cheaply, but I've been using "Wasabi" chargers from China (advertised as using Japanese cells), sold through bluenook.com. I noticed they have a BLN-1 unit (I've only used BLS and BLM). I can't say their products are better than anyone else's, but the chargers do come with a DC input as well as the regular AC plug. I've just returned from two weeks in the mountains using a 5 watt thin-film solar panel to drive the charger this way, was able to get 3000 shots or so and lots of LCD review (e-620) using mostly just two batteries (cloudy weather forced me to use a third battery). The charger, wires and panel weigh under eleven ounces. From dead (7.2v) to full (8.4v) takes about four or five hours, but I rarely drained a battery, just kept topping the low one off. It felt sort of miraculous to not have to worry about the batteries anymore.

Bill Gordon
17th August 2012, 08:12 PM
Greeting sir. I hope you are well :)

I found it on Amazon, I searched their web site using Olympus and BLN-1 and X-pro. Over here they sell various options, I went for the charger with 1 battery plus a second battery..

All the best

Pete

Thanks Pete!!

brian1208
18th August 2012, 04:43 PM
A session on Friday yielded over 450 shots on an OEM battery, switching off when not in use, using EVF only but with a reasonable amount of chimping. Shooting in SAF mode with IS1 / 2 and 6fps, RAW only. There was still no sign of the orange battery symbol showing when I finished

andym
18th August 2012, 04:52 PM
A session on Friday yielded over 450 shots on an OEM battery, switching off when not in use, using EVF only but with a reasonable amount of chimping. Shooting in SAF mode with IS1 / 2 and 6fps, RAW only. There was still no sign of the orange battery symbol showing when I finished

Out of interest you mention 6 FPS,what were you shooting and was it in batches of lots of frames?
I am mainly a walk round shooter and get about 120-140 frames per charge like a lot of others here.This using the EVF only ,no rec view,and very little chimping but with I/S on mainly.

Thanks.

brian1208
18th August 2012, 06:06 PM
I was shooting people wakeboarding in burst of up to 6 shots but mostly 2 or 3 at a time.
It was primarily the grand-children I was shooting so there would be gaps in the action when I would switch off (after chimping to remove any obvious dross shots)
I wasn't particularly trying to conserve the battery and only found how many shots I taken when I downloaded to LR4.
I started with a fresh battery at the beginning of the session (having used up another OEM battery the day before, shooting the kids and the dog haring about their garden :) )

andym
18th August 2012, 06:10 PM
Thanks for that.

Still trying to get my head around why a few people seem to get lots of shots but most of us only get just over a hundred.

*chr*chr*chr

brian1208
18th August 2012, 06:18 PM
it is strange Andy, I see all sorts of figures quoted and don't think I have my camera set up in any special way to conserve energy (except as described above).
I typically get around 300 / charge with the two ExPro batteries I have and 350 - 400 with the 2 Olympus batteries.
Its fairly consistent over a wide range of activities (I get the impression that maybe Macro work consumes the most power, must check it properly when I remember)

dko22
19th August 2012, 10:17 AM
In typical use, pretending I am using film, I don't get more than around 100 at the moment. This means no burst and careful chimping after every shot to check the focus. With DSLRs I got a little more as of course the actual framing did not require the camera to be switched on which certainly helps as I can sometimes spend quite some time looking for a suitable composition before taking a shot.

Once I'm fairly confident about the focussing and IBIS (which mainly applies to longer teleshots as there are very rarely problems up to say 100mm) then the rate will start to climb a bit. I'm expecting to have my E-M5 longer than any other digital ILC to date as the overall quality no longer leaves anything significant to be desired and it's time i got to master a camera properly-- quite likely over 3 years as I guess I'll be looking at skipping a generation this time and perhaps getting either second hand two generations on or new towards the end of its run.

David

David M
19th August 2012, 11:06 AM
This thread makes me wonder if Olympus have tried to hard to make the OM-D a successor to the OM4. Some early OM4's would drain batteries, 5 minutes to kill a fresh set with a T series flash mounted and switched on being my record.

snaarman
22nd August 2012, 03:43 PM
Well, I am the proud owner of two freshly charged Ex-Pro batteries that I can threaten the Olympus batteries with.

I've also turned IS off and switched to raw only. Meanwhile I am trying to maintain my usual shooting method to see what if anything affects the battery life.

Pete

brian1208
23rd August 2012, 07:08 AM
another shoot with mixed 6fps / single shot SAF work. 300+ frames and returned with the battery still showing full charge symbol (OEM battery)

It seems to fairly consistent in this performance with this type of shooting for me - (EVF only, turning off when not actively in use, a reasonable amount of chimping to check exposures etc, IS1 / 2 stabilisation, little time spent setting up the shots, camera up, half-press to focus, shoot)

snaarman
28th August 2012, 12:20 PM
another shoot with mixed 6fps / single shot SAF work. 300+ frames and returned with the battery still showing full charge symbol (OEM battery)

It seems to fairly consistent in this performance with this type of shooting for me - (EVF only, turning off when not actively in use, a reasonable amount of chimping to check exposures etc, IS1 / 2 stabilisation, little time spent setting up the shots, camera up, half-press to focus, shoot)

No. I can't get anywhere near that, but I do work with single shot only. The latest cycle is up from 140 to about 200 shots because I've avoided IS for most of those.

I am developing the theory that selecting "IS on 1/2 shutter press" mode might be responsible for hammering the battery. So, I've made myself some presets, each with increasing "petrol consumption".

Preset1 = no IS.
Preset2 = IS on full shutter press only.
Preset3 = IS on 1/2 press.
Preset4 = Manual focus, focus magnify on Fn button and IS on half press

Pete

smartwombat
28th August 2012, 11:53 PM
If you use the EVF only and it's in eye-snsor mode - remember the sensor works on reflected IR and so if the EVF faces a light shirt it will turn on!

I got terrible performance today with IS on at shutter half-press, a lot of chimping, and driving a 4/3 Bigma through the panasonic mft-4/3 adapter.
On the other hand I got over 400 shots at Laguna Seca in burst mode, it's the amount of time the camera is in operation I suspect, not the number of images.

brian1208
29th August 2012, 05:28 AM
it's the amount of time the camera is in operation I suspect, not the number of images.

that seems to make sense, the battery capacity is quoted as1220 mAh so power drain will be a function of the time it is being used and the current flowing.

If you keep camera set in the way then drain will be a direct function of time of use whereas using different settings (as Pete showed) will increase or decrease the power consumption and available time of use / number of shots accordingly

Ulfric M Douglas
29th August 2012, 07:10 AM
If I'm counting how many shots I get from each battery, I simply use the camera until the battery is 'empty' and the camera switches itself off.
Snaarman is not doing this ;
...I had the dreaded flashing battery symbol today and did the battery swap,

... I'm not certain the menu setting does anything more than changing the point that the flashing or half battery sign appears.

I did try ignoring the amber flash of death and you don't get many more shots before the camera switches off.

If you're comparing two different ways of measuring something you're going to get very different results.

snaarman
29th August 2012, 07:31 AM
If I'm counting how many shots I get from each battery, I simply use the camera until the battery is 'empty' and the camera switches itself off. Snaarman is not doing this ;

Yes, that's quite true.

I have run the camera to switch off point on one occasion but I seem to recall it went downhill rapidly after the amber sign. I missed a shot because it had checked out when I wasn't looking :-)

Pete

Bikie John
29th August 2012, 08:42 AM
I've found it dies pretty quickly once the amber warning starts flashing. So although comparison with number of shots to complete shutdown is not strictly accurate, it's not too bad.

Ciao ... John

wanderer
29th August 2012, 06:56 PM
I too go to battery empty if there is no urgency.
This week from 2 Oly batteries in the HLD-4 with the E-5 I got 490 photos. About 15% were chimped and about 5% were using live view.Currently shooting raw only.
Not bad I reckon.

Invicta
31st August 2012, 04:44 PM
I haven't taken many photos in a single day so cannot add to the number of shots per charge stats.

However, I have noticed a battery "issue". If I fully charge the original Oly BLN-1, put it in the camera, turn off the camera. Leave it for two days and go to use the camera the battery is totally flat: camera will not even turn on.

Has anybody else noticed this behavior?

StephenL
31st August 2012, 04:58 PM
My camera is often left for many days between uses, but the battery state remains more or less how I left it.

brian1208
31st August 2012, 05:42 PM
there is definitel something funny about how this camera uses battery power and I think it may relate to whether one uses single shot or continuous shooting (amongst other variables)

I have just got in from the Bournemouth Air Festival where I have been shooting solidly since 15.00. I have 3 full 8gb cards + another 8gb which is about half full. Batteries used, one BLN-1 discharged and one still showing the full charge symbol.

I've no idea yet how many shots that is but its a ridiculously large number - very odd (but quite pleasing, I was afraid I would burn through all four batteries!)

CJJE
31st August 2012, 05:58 PM
My camera is often left for many days between uses, but the battery state remains more or less how I left it.

Same here. I have left my OM-D with a charged battery for several weeks without problems. Sounds like something is running yours down? (You have turned it off at the back haven't you??)

The only problem I have noticed is that when I was on holiday I was using it for several days in a row without recharging the battery as the battery symbol wasn't showing any loss of charge. And then on one day, it went from full charge to "Charge me up quickly" in no time at all! A bit more warning would have helped!!

David Morison
31st August 2012, 06:48 PM
Surely it must also depend on the lens being used and in what AF mode. Something like the 300mm f2.8 used with CAF has a lot of metal and glass to move when focussing that it drains batteries on the E5 much more quickly than a smaller prime or even zoom. So any comparison should be between cameras with identical lenses.

David

Invicta
31st August 2012, 07:03 PM
Stephen / Chris

Just wondering do you have the battery grip attached? I have the HLD6 attached without a second battery. Vaguely wondered if there is something odd with this combination.

brian1208
31st August 2012, 07:22 PM
I'm almost embarassed to tell you how many images I have just downloaded from 1.5 (max 2 batteries, even though the last one is showing full it must be at least half-discharged) - 1827 RAW files and no, I don't have the least idea how on earth it achieved that many?

Single battery loaded at a time in the grip, nothing in the body. SAF + M focus, 4 fps, EVF without eye-switching, IS1, half-press to focus then 4fps continuous shooting for between 2 and quite a few frames as I tracked the action, a fair bit of chimping

All I can think of (and its not much) is that it was a warm day, which will help maximise power output, I was using the half-press shutter focus for only around 1:4 frames overall and I switched off on the few moments when the action stopped but really, I don't have a clue what's going on here. I've never had this many shots (the max / charge has been in the 400's before)

Invicta
31st August 2012, 07:41 PM
Single battery loaded at a time in the grip, nothing in the body. SAF + M focus, 4 fps, EVF without eye-switching, IS1, half-press to focus then 4fps continuous shooting for between 2 and quite a few frames as I tracked the action, a fair bit of chimping

Thats interesting, my camera does not work at all if I put the battery in the grip and nothing in the camera body.

Does this work for others as well? If so I must have a faulty HLD 6.

CJJE
31st August 2012, 08:10 PM
Stephen / Chris

Just wondering do you have the battery grip attached? I have the HLD6 attached without a second battery. Vaguely wondered if there is something odd with this combination.

Only the hand grip part of the HLD6 attached, so battery is of course in the camera body. I was using the Olympus 12-50 lens most of the time.

brian1208
5th September 2012, 07:27 PM
I've just downloaded a days shooting with the camera set up as I had it for the Air Festival and got much the same result:

1325 shots on two full charged Olympus original BLN-1 batteries

I still have no idea why I'm seeing this, previously I thought I was doing well to see 400'ish when shooting with the same settings but single shot not 4fps

It was another warm day, which will add a few shots because of increased battery efficiency but there is definitely something strange about how this camera uses battery charge

David Morison
7th September 2012, 06:18 AM
Just found this on OMD Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/OlympusOMD.Official) by Mitsuhiro Haga, the product leader for the power battery holder (PBH):

"There is nothing worse than running out of battery during those special moments, but with both the OM–D’s battery and the PBH’s battery, you’ll have enough life for about 650 photos"

Presumably this is under perfect conditions although he doesn't say exactly how. He talks mainly about the design and production and thoughts behind the product.

David

Chevvyf1
7th September 2012, 07:08 AM
Yes, that is my suspicion (the elves thing). I'm not certain the menu setting does anything more than changing the point that the flashing or half battery sign appears.

I did try ignoring the amber flash of death and you don't get many more shots before the camera switches off. Now that may still be a software decision to quit rather than the battery actually collapsing.

Hopefully I will have a total of 4 batteries and 2 charges by next week, but that's not quite the right answer really.

EDIT: Latest battery charge did 135 shots.

Pete

Pete, there are some Duff batteries :( maybe a new pair and I always run to the last drop of juice then recharge :)

snaarman
7th September 2012, 09:00 AM
Pete, there are some Duff batteries :( maybe a new pair and I always run to the last drop of juice then recharge :)

I now have 4 batteries, 2 Oly and 2 ProCell (or whatever) and they are all roughly the same. I'm coming to the following conclusions:

For max number of shots: use burst mode, don't use the rear screen much, turn IS off and run the camera until it stops. (Think motor racing for example.. Not the way I work unfortunately).

For least number of shots: Wander around with the camera switched on, looking for suitable subjects. Switch IS with half press on* (This is the way I generally work)

Pete

*I think IS with half press is the battery draining culprit...

StephenL
7th September 2012, 12:02 PM
I've been hesitating about providing my battery life figures, mainly because I don't check.

However, what I can now say is that I'm on the same charged battery (still mainly showing three bars but sometimes dipping to two when it feels like it) for just one month. During that time I've probably taken about 100 shots.

You see, this estate is so large we rarely have the opportunity to leave it, and so just about everything on it has been photographed several times.

And my style of photography hasn't changed since film days - try to make every shot count 'cos it costs.

However, in this time, I've delved deeply into the menus for seemingly hours at a time, trying to make sense of them. I tend to switch the camera off between shots. IS is on half-press. Review is switched off, but I do sometimes examine the result afterwards. Every time I download photos from the camera, even though its only a few, I reformat the card in camera. IS is always on. I very rarely use burst mode - it wastes film.

PS also, in that time, I've also been playing with my recently-acquired Fuji X10, so that will have reduced the number of photos taken on the E-M5

brian1208
7th September 2012, 02:15 PM
In my last trip I ran both batteries down until the camera stopped working and found something I hadn't spotted before.

The final image in each series as the battery finally drained was tagged as having been "Damaged" and it was not readable in LR4.

Luckily they weren't important shots but its not something I had read about / expected

StephenL
7th September 2012, 02:20 PM
Were these raw or jpegs?

brian1208
7th September 2012, 03:39 PM
Sorry, should have said, I always shoot RAW only (I like to have "Negatives" like in the days of "Real " photography :) )

pault
18th November 2012, 02:31 PM
Hi all. Thought you might be interested in this article by Steve Huff re: extending battery usage life.
http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/11/07/how-to-tweak-your-olympus-om-d-e-m5-to-shoot-sports-by-jim-huffman/
In particular read pages 5 / 6 "geek tweak"
Looks like you can get 4x improvement in battery life, in region 1200 shots
Regards
Pault

Jetset95
19th November 2012, 08:13 AM
Sorry Pault can you be more specific about the link - when I read this post it all appears on one page (with a massive scroll bar!). Is the comment you refer to in the main post or in the blog replies at the bottom?

Thanks, James

pault
19th November 2012, 09:20 AM
Hi James
Scroll through the page past 4 pictures then you come to heading "NOTE: The below is a geek tweak to the oly that you can skip, or read if really interested"
At this point he describes settings.
Hope this helps
Pault

brian1208
19th November 2012, 11:17 AM
In my last trip I ran both batteries down until the camera stopped working and found something I hadn't spotted before.

The final image in each series as the battery finally drained was tagged as having been "Damaged" and it was not readable in LR4.

Luckily they weren't important shots but its not something I had read about / expected

I've found the same thing a couple of times so tend to swap the batteries out before it finally stops on empty

(I have my camera set on the "Geek Twek" settings, found them by trial and error. Makes the EM-5 behave more like my old Canon and under the right conditions I am seeing very high shots / charge)

snaarman
19th November 2012, 03:38 PM
Hmm. I already have mine set this way.

It may be that the latest update (silent elves version) saves a bit of battery but I wouldn't describe the results as sparkling.

I think you get more shots out of the battery if you take bursts of shots. If you wander around with the camera on looking at the occasional scene and taking the occasional picture then it doesn't do to well then...

Pete

brian1208
19th November 2012, 04:25 PM
Agreed, I get my best battery life using short bursts of 4fps when the action is there, then switching off during the lulls (airshows and sailboarding for instance)

StephenL
19th November 2012, 05:12 PM
I agree with Pete. Down Under I took about 1300 shots, mainly as Pete described, on 3 batteries over 3 weeks.