PDA

View Full Version : Silver - Finish Quality ?

Spy
28th July 2012, 10:22 PM
I am contemplating picking up one of these great cameras and leaning towards the Silver version. One owner of a black OMD mentioned that people with silver had experienced flaking paint and susceptibility to scratches.

I was in LCE today and had a quick test of the black OMD. It seems like a great camera. I asked about the silver but didn't see one. I asked the assistant if he had heard anything about the silver flaking etc but he hadn't. His only comment was that the silver finish wasn't as smooth as the black. I think he was describing an orange peel effect as you get on some car paint.

Really interested to hear from others of their experiences of the toughness of the silver finish and also the quality/smoothness of the finish.

David Morison
28th July 2012, 10:33 PM
Don't know about the silver but my black is wearing off on all the exposed sharp edges.

David

Spy
28th July 2012, 10:35 PM
Don't know about the silver but my black is wearing off on all the exposed sharp edges.

David

Thanks for replying David.

Where the black is wearing off, what is underneath/showing through eg silver metal, white plastic etc?

David M
28th July 2012, 10:44 PM
So it is a digital OM. The black wore off the edges of my black OM bodies.

Zuiko
28th July 2012, 11:01 PM
So it is a digital OM. The black wore off the edges of my black OM bodies.

Brassing we used to call it in those days, IIRC.

David M
28th July 2012, 11:07 PM
Yes, because there was a layer of brass under the paint when cameras were built of metal.

Zuiko
28th July 2012, 11:20 PM
Yes, because there was a layer of brass under the paint when cameras were built of metal.

I suppose these days we should call it "magnesiuming." Somehow it doesn't have quite the same ring, does it? :(

Brassing was often regarded as a sign of a well-used and well-loved camera, almost as a badge of respect. These days we tend to regard it as more of a fault than a characteristic, partly because we have become accustomed to the properties of polycarbonate bodies used in general consumer cameras. Maybe peeling paint should be regarded as a sign of a pro quality camera - "Look, my camera is made of metal rather than coloured plastic." :D

Having said that, I cannot see the paint on my E-3 wearing off any time soon! :cool:

bredman
28th July 2012, 11:40 PM
I am contemplating picking up one of these great cameras and leaning towards the Silver version. One owner of a black OMD mentioned that people with silver had experienced flaking paint and susceptibility to scratches.

I have a feeling your friend may have his wires crossed. There have been many reports of paint 'flaking' off of the all-black version, but not the silver (unless i'm missing something), but most people are being philosophical about this and not getting too concerned. I have a silver OM-D and i have no concerns at all about the paintwork.

I reckon your friend wants you to get the black version so he can't become envious of your new sexier silver camera. ;):)

Whichever one you do get, be sure to update us with your impressions and progress. *chr

David M
29th July 2012, 12:07 AM
Well my OM2 and 4 brassed, my OM4T titaniumed.

I'm sure carpenters don't worry about the paint on their tools.

Zuiko
29th July 2012, 12:55 AM
Well my OM2 and 4 brassed, my OM4T titaniumed.

I'm sure carpenters don't worry about the paint on their tools.

Ah, the North American designation of the OM4Ti.

I had a 4T in "champagne" (more of a matt silver finish) and a 4Ti in black.

David Morison
29th July 2012, 05:48 AM
Despite all the hype about the design and good looks of the E-M5 I am still not really interested in the look of my cameras, whether they are scratched or not and don't care what others think. Most of the time I am taking photographs in a wild situation so no-one sees my kit and if they do I probably don't know them. The reason I went for a black version is to avoid the flash of the silver alerting wildlife to my presence. It always astonishes me that Canon, Sony etc. produce lenses, that could be used for wildlife, in a pale grey - forcing the users to pay out lots of extra wongers to cover it up with camo neoprene. Let's get our priorities right.

Function Rules!

David

Wally
29th July 2012, 06:15 AM
Despite all the hype about the design and good looks of the E-M5... Let's get our priorities right.... Function Rules!

David

Couldn't agree more. Perhaps Henry Ford had it right all along. 'You can have any colour you like as long as it is black.

StephenL
29th July 2012, 06:31 AM
My silver version, one of the earlier ones, is still in pristine condition. The card cover has been opened umpteen times without causing any flaking of the black paint surrounding it, and the silver is, well, smooth and unmarked. I use a Y strap which means the body tends to bounce along my side, with associated buttons etc, with no marking.

Loup Garou
29th July 2012, 06:42 AM
I do not know which 'version' my silver OM-D is, but it is also in pristine condition. It is only 2 months old but I recently took it to India and took a number of pictures during a noisy, crowded family function where there were opportunities for it being roughed-up. That said, I have always taken good care of my cameras, returning all components to their padded compartments after use.

I am sure Olympus are now aware of the problem with black bodied OM-Ds and will soon address the problem. That said, some people may actually prefer that 'used' look because it makes them appear like pros. Remember how in the days gone by people used to walk around with battered Nikon F3s.

Ross the fiddler
29th July 2012, 06:50 AM
My silver (& black) one is still looking good too. There appears to be a small batch of black cameras early on that may have had a paint quality control oversight, but I believe the rest are OK, including the black paint on my silver model (the central region).

Looks may be secondary, but I still think my 'silver' OM-D still looks 'cool'. :cool: ;)

Zuiko
29th July 2012, 11:46 AM
Despite all the hype about the design and good looks of the E-M5 I am still not really interested in the look of my cameras, whether they are scratched or not and don't care what others think. Most of the time I am taking photographs in a wild situation so no-one sees my kit and if they do I probably don't know them. The reason I went for a black version is to avoid the flash of the silver alerting wildlife to my presence. It always astonishes me that Canon, Sony etc. produce lenses, that could be used for wildlife, in a pale grey - forcing the users to pay out lots of extra wongers to cover it up with camo neoprene. Let's get our priorities right.

Function Rules!

David

Couldn't agree more, David, but I think many people like to keep their kit as pristine as possible to retain the resale value. Of course, I'm hoping that E-M5's wear really badly, people quickly get fed up with them and a glut of really tatty ones find their way into the bargain basement on ebay! :p

As for the white Canon lenses, well they need some gimmic to mark them out as "pro!" :rolleyes:

David M
29th July 2012, 11:49 AM
People use neoprene covers to protect the paint. Wildlife doesn't care if it's a white, black or camo lens. What can scare wildlife is a giant 'eye' looking at them, the front element.

Spy
29th July 2012, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the reports back from the silver OM-D owners. It sounds like the report of flaking on the silver are unfounded.

What did surprise me is that the shop assistant said the paint finish on the silver was a little bumpy/orange peely. Any comments on that ?

I doubt he would have said that to sell the black as he had the silver in stock but I didn't have time for him to get one for me to look at.

CJJE
29th July 2012, 05:06 PM
I also preferred the looks of the silver E-M5 as it (IMHO) reminded me of my first SLR - a Voigtlander Bessamatic!

Mine was an early pre-ordered camera but I have not seen any problems with its finish.

StephenL
29th July 2012, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the reports back from the silver OM-D owners. It sounds like the report of flaking on the silver are unfounded.

What did surprise me is that the shop assistant said the paint finish on the silver was a little bumpy/orange peely. Any comments on that ?

I doubt he would have said that to sell the black as he had the silver in stock but I didn't have time for him to get one for me to look at.

Flaky? Orange-peely? No, mine's as smooth as a baby's bottom. Not that I've seen any silver paint on a baby's bottom .....

bredman
29th July 2012, 05:33 PM
Smooth here too. Perhaps the shop assistant is confused by the matt finish.

Spy
29th July 2012, 06:21 PM
Smooth here too. Perhaps the shop assistant is confused by the matt finish.

Hmm, interesting. Nect I am in there I will take a look at the silver version.

Glad to hear there are no issues with flaking. If the finish looks OK I will probably pick up the silver

Ross the fiddler
30th July 2012, 12:05 AM
Flaky? Orange-peely? No, mine's as smooth as a baby's bottom. Not that I've seen any silver paint on a baby's bottom .....

You stole the words right out of my mouth. :D Pretty much what I was going to say. *yes (well, the first bit ;))

Zuiko
30th July 2012, 07:17 AM
You stole the words right out of my mouth. :D Pretty much what I was going to say. *yes (well, the first bit ;))

So you have seen silver paint on a baby's bottom? :eek:

Ross the fiddler
30th July 2012, 09:24 AM
So you have seen silver paint on a baby's bottom? :eek:

John, behave now! ;) Don't twist my words around. :rolleyes: Having 4 children & changing their nappies gives me enough proof that babies bottoms are smooth. :p

StephenL
30th July 2012, 02:17 PM
Remember, the black cameras were specifically designed with "soft" paint in order to appeal to Pros, who don't think they look professional enough unless their camera shows signs of being sent to the moon - under its own steam.

Silver cameras are designed for posers, who insist on their kit being pristine at all times, and always carry a pot of baby oil (see my previous post) with them for use before they put their camera back in its squirrels-scrotum-lined soft padded case.

My camera? It's silver.

Zuiko
30th July 2012, 04:32 PM
.....they put their camera back in its squirrels-scrotum-lined soft padded case.

That's only for Micro Four Thirds cameras, pouches for Full Frame are lined with polar bear scrotum.

StephenL
30th July 2012, 05:04 PM
That's only for Micro Four Thirds cameras, pouches for Full Frame are lined with polar bear scrotum.
Ah! Hence the icy stares that 4/3 owners give m4/3 owners!

Spy
30th July 2012, 09:01 PM
*crazy*chr

Zuiko
30th July 2012, 09:11 PM
*crazy*chr

I hope you are finding all this advice useful! :D

*chr

Spy
30th July 2012, 09:17 PM
Yep, good stuff.

I think I am leaning towards the "poser" type as Stephen describes it :D

bredman
30th July 2012, 09:24 PM
I hope you are finding all this advice useful! :D

*chr

I have Johnson's Baby Cream on order (ahem, not that i need it :)).